Opinions on plan for London (6 days)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making my first real trip to London next month. After two days in West Midland seeing family, will be in London for six nights. Here is the loose plan as of now, would love input from London experts/fans.

Hotel: The Sumner (near Marble Arch station)
Sightseeing: The Eye, Tate Modern, Tower of London, Westminster, Buckingham Palace, a double-decker city tour (to get my bearings), Borough market, Harrod's, various other shopping spots (clothes and gifts)
Shows: at least two, we scrapped a trip to S-U-Avon since the Ian McKellan "Lear" is sold out...probably seeing Avenue Q and would love a play or two
Food: Bombay Brasserie or Tayyabs, G Ramsay's new gastropub, Brown's for tea, Golden Hind for fish and chips, Duke's Hotel for martinis, Canteen, Lounge Lover, The Providores

Feedback is appreciated.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Sounds good. I go to London often (family there) and I always take a walking tour with London Walks. I often do a day trip (Explorer Day) with them as well. Excellent guides, well planned routes. Good website, go to Google for it.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM

That all sounds fine - but I might give Harrods a miss and go for Liberty or Harvey Nichols instead. They are much more 'British' and will have more interesting and original gifts. Harrods is very tacky and touristy and the staff aren't that friendly (IMHO).
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That list is totally doable. But have a plan B for when you head to Borough Market (like Southwark Cathedral, a tour of the Globe, Tate Modern, etc). I went to borrough mkt last month and it was a TOTAL zoo. Much more crowded than when I have been in the past. One could barely walk through or get near any of the stands/buy any food (nor sit down to eat it)

So if you luck out and it is just crowded and not crazy-crowded, then fine. But if its insane, walk across to the the cathedral - usually peaceful and uncrowded or up river to the Globe/Tate
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I love Harrods, tacky & all but no reason you can't go to Harvey Nichs. They're right by each other.

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:48 AM

You might want to group your planned attractions/activities and pencil them into days. With six nights you will be able to fit in more things, I think.

I agree with RM67. Liberty is my favorite store. I've been on each of my London trips. To be honest, I can't compare it to Harrod's, as I've never managed to get there.

We were at Borough Market two weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, and it was very manageable, not crowded at all. The toasted cheese people weren't there, though, only on Saturdays. I've also been on Saturday morning last summer, fairly early, and although it was crowded it was doable. Based on Janisj's experience, I'd avoid Satuday afternoon, though.

Both times, we combined Borough with a stroll along the south bank of the Thames and the Tate Modern. You could then take the Tate 2 Tate boat to the Eye. While you're up near Borough, Southwark Cathedral is worth a look - it's right there. Also, go to the cheese shop bordering the Market - Neal's Yard Dairy. They will give you a tasting tour of British Isles cheeses.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Although we've been to London quite a few times (SIL lived there 5 yrs), we always found it hard not to include the Victoria & Albert Musuem, the National Gallery, British Museum and St Pauls in each visit. Just too much to see to miss them.

Agree with others that if you group places, you can really cover a lot of ground. For ex., BP won't take long since the palace itself won't be open when you're there, so you might combine that with St James Park and the National Gallery. FWIW, we don't think one should miss Harrod's (with all its supposed faults), but Harvey Nichols is so close, we visit both.

London has so many parks, we often stop by a sandwich shop and then take lunch to a park. Great break. Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park is a favorite - and usually very entertaining.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Agree with others on missing Harrods...way overpriced and just not that impressive if you've ever been to Nordstroms or Niemans....

For shopping I have to recommend Notting Hill and Portobello Rd Market. Some say the market is tacky and that there isn't a lot to be found, but I loved it. Additionally, the shops in Notting Hill are precious and unique.

Didn't do Buckingham, but we did Kensington Palace and we LOVED it! The park is so nice as well. Would highly recommend it. Can't comment on Buckingham, but the outside looked like a military compound -- LOL!

We saw Mary Poppins in London last summer -- not sure if it's still showing -- great show though!

Also, highly recommend London Walks for at least an evening Pub Walk. We did Covent Garden and Along the Thames -- our favorite walks by far! Also, a day trip (Explorer Day) is really fun as well. We did Oxford/Cotswolds -- very fun! We did Cambridge and Hampton Court Palace (separate days) on our own -- also very fun!

Have an excellent trip!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM

we saw billy elliot when in london a couple of weeks ago
I see a lot of theatre, and I have to say this was one of the best shows I have seen in years! It was worth every penny (pound) and left us all excited and thrilled with an amazing evening- just how theatre should be
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:30 AM

Take a boat ride on Thames from Westminster pier to Tower of London pier.