Opinions Needed on Paris flight and Maris apartment rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom and I are planning a mother/daughter trip to Paris for early November for about 5 nights (excluding travel time). My Mom is in her late 50s and I'm in my late 20s - both of us are active. I've been to Paris briefly about 10 years ago while my Mom has never been.

We picked early November because there are currently nonstop flights from Philly to Paris for $693 (including taxes) - seems like a good price to me. From researching the airfares online, I feel like I should go ahead and book one of these flights right now instead of risking that the price goes up. What would you do?

As far as accommodations go, I'm thinking about this flat in Marais:

Studio Florentin at:

http://tinyurl.com/3589sv

We're working with about 100E/night budget and we'd like to be in a central and convenient location that is safe, especially for 2 females. Based on what I have read on these boards and elsewhere on the internet, Marais seems like a neat district to stay in. Does anyone have opinions about the location of this flat (convenience, safety) and the value? Has anyone dealt with this rental agency?

Thanks for your time - it's greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I just checked the air fares from PHL to CDG for the entire month of November on itasoftware.com

The price ranges were from about $642 to $688
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM

bailey, I can answer one of your questions. The apartment is on rue Charlot, just north of rue de Bretagne. I rented an apartment in February on rue de Saintonge, which is about one block away.

You will like that neighbourhood. There are many shops along rue de Bretagne, including two groceries stores, a bakery, a green grocer, a wine shop, a cheese shop, and a place that sells rotisserie chicken. Cafés and restaurants, too, of course. Lots of traffic on rue de Bretagne but rue Charlot is quieter. I walked around that area as late as 1 o'clock in the morning and felt perfectly safe.

Your nearest metro station is probably Filles du Calvaire, about a seven or eight minute walk.

If you search here using the phrase "rue de Bretagne" you'll find other posts I have made that describe the neighbourhood.

Did you notice, though, that the flat is on the fourth floor and that there is no lift? Bear in mind, too, that a European fourth floor is typically a North American fifth floor.

Anselm
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.

Anselm - it sounds like a terrific area - exactly what we're looking for - thank you.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Does anyone else have an opinion about this flight? Is it too early to book or should I be weary of booking with US Airways given the problems they've been having?

Or has anyone dealt with this particular rental agency? I haven't found much on them on these boards.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Not sure about US Airways, but on American & United if the price goes down. you can call & get a voucher for the difference that can be used on another light. I keep track of fares & as soon as they go down, I call. That way I never worry about what I'm paying.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I believe US airways has a fare guarantee as well. My sister booked with rentparis and are staying in Apt # 22
www.rentparis.com

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM

my sister and I
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I gave my opinion on booking that USAirways flight on your other thread on this topic. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just my opinion. I don't see the advantage, though, given the alternatives.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:52 PM

I just wanted to second an endorsement of the area - we just returned from Paris and rented an apartment on rue de Bretagne. We loved the location! We were directly across from the Square du Temple and loved the lack of tourists, proximity to many shops, just steps to metro stops, to the sights in the 4th and the general feel of the area.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I went ahead and booked the flight. US Airways told me that they do vouchers if the price goes down.

Christina - I did try to take your advice about US Airways, but I couldn't find any other alternatives in the same price range.

As far as the apartment goes, you all have gotten me very excited about the area... Is it normal for them to ask for my credit card number for $1000 (about a week's worth of rent) deposit - only charging it if I cancel with less than 3 weeks notice or if I cause harm to the place? I haven't found any reviews about this agency and I want to make sure I do my research before reserving with them. Any advice?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM

The apartment looks lovely, but I notice the absence of even one comfortable chair. I've been researching rentals and see this frequently, but it still baffles me. Maybe it's the onset of middle age!
J
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The location is good - but do you want to sit on the bed and only the bed every evening. (those spindly dining chairs don't look very comfortable)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM

bailey, I haven't heard of this agency, but I don't think their booking conditions are unreasonable. We have rented more than 16 apartments and houses in France directly from their owners and the conditions are generally this: half the total rent on booking and the balance four or six weeks before arrival. The booking can typically be canceled and the down payment refunded if the owner is notified before the final payment is due. Most owners also ask for a refundable damage deposit of anywhere between €200 and €500.

So, I'd say this agency's conditions are not way out of line.

Did you see this post from 2005?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34677059

Anselm
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out Homelidays.com They are a bit like VRBO since after the initial contact through homelidays, you deal directly w/ the owners - and the prices seem to be lower for the same quality properties.

This one http://www.homelidays.com/paris-05/a...at57358en1.htm is in the 5th - not suggesting you stay there necessarily but just to give you an idea.

If you search the site you will find lots in the Marais if that is the neighborhood you want.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to give me your opinions. After looking through many rentals online, I'm still quite interested in this apartment given it's location, price, and since they don't require a minimum stay of a week.

For all of you that have rented an apartment, do you have any suggestions for how I can check out this rental agency? It sounds like their requirements are reasonable compared to other rentals - credit card number in case they need to charge $1000 deposit if we cancel without giving 3 weeks notice or for damages, etc and full payment by cash at arrival. I prefer these conditions to paying a portion or all of the rent now or so many days prior to arrival.

Right now, I feel like I should do more research on the company since I haven't read any reviews (except one from a couple of years ago). What do you all think?
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Not only is there no place to sit and you will have to walk up and carry your suitcases five stories, are you comfortable sharing a bed with your mom since that's what this place seems to require?
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:47 AM

I realize that you are looking at apartments, but for the same price or a little less (depending on what type of room you choose) you could stay at the hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais on 3, rue de Jarente and have a room with 2 beds. They have a lift so you don't have to drag your bags up/down 5 flights of stairs, staff is very friendly. Our room had plenty of room to sit somewhere other than the bed, there was storage space, adequate lighting and a little desk and chair. The closest metro is St. Paul. I've stayed there and would stay there again - very clean, very safe, close to restaurants, shops, metro.

You can look at more information or book at www.hoteljeannedarc.com
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Hope that works out fine. Maybe it was the particular dates you chose, but when I checked Air France's website, they had those exact same rates (about $700) on nonstop fares from Philadelphia in early November. Fares can vary a lot if you are off by a day or two and hit some higher pricing.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM

"Right now, I feel like I should do more research on the company since I haven't read any reviews (except one from a couple of years ago). What do you all think?"

Bailey, it's a tough call. You've weighed all the advice, you researched the agency as much as you can, and you still have a lingering doubt. One more step you might try: write to the agents and ask them for the e-mail addresses of two or three previous renters of that apartment. Write to those tenants and ask them about the rental experience.

In the end, this may come down to pure intuition--you either feel ok about it and go ahead, or you have enough lingering doubt that you can't. If it's the latter, keep looking.

Anselm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -