Opera in Verona

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Gareth

Opera in Verona

I will be in Verona on the 10th of June, and would very much like to see the famous opera. Can any body tell me how to go around booking, do I need to do this in advance?

Many thanks
Gareth

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Jen

Do you mean see an opera or see the place where they are performed? I don't believe the opera season starts till July, but you can tour the amphitheater. For anybody who wants to see an opera there, I highly recommend getting the cheapest seats if you want the real Italian experience (for acoustics, go to La Scala): sellers walk up and down during the performance, yelling "gelati! gelati!" and when it starts raining they reappear with raincoats for sale: "Impermeabili! Impermiabili!" Once when I was there it started raining during a tenor aria in Aida, just a few drops, and the musicians with wooden instruments got up immediately and made a beeline for the door under the stage. The tenor got really pissed off - he had horns but no violins (except the concermaster) or bassoons - sang louder and louder, then stopped singing and started screaming at the orchestra and the conductor. Now THAT'S opera! Take a pillow - those stone seats are HARD.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Patrick

You can book on line on their own website, but we booked through our hotel in Verona. I was glad we did because the performance ended up being rained out -- as we stood or sat in the rain until after 11 PM before they finally decided to cancel. We would have had to return after 10 the next day to get our refund, but we had an early morning train to catch to Switzerland. Fortunately, since we had booked through the hotel (and they didn't charge us any fee for doing this) they took care of getting our refund and returning the money to us back in the states.
But the operas won't yet be playing by June 10!

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Gareth

Many thanks!
I got the month wrong! - we will be in Verona on the 10 July. Just going for the opera as we got the ticket from Ryanair for £20 return inc taxes!! Now that's what I call a bargain!
Patrick - Do you know there web site address?

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:59 AM
jenviolin

//shop.cosi.it/tol4arena/Rappresentazioni.asp?manifestazione_ID=1

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Patrick

www.arena.it
Enjoy! Since we got rained out from our performance of Aida, I'm looking forward to another trip when I can catch it there.

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:30 PM
claire

I agree about getting the $20 or so unreserved seats near the stage. Drawback is you must stand in line for an hour or so in order to rush and claim your spot when the gates open. So, eat a late lunch or post opera unless the aisle vendors suit you. Ideally, you rush and claim your spot (close to the conductor rather than the stage itself for best view) while your partner rents cushions at the inside of the gates and picks up some free candles (which you light as the first strains of music issue forth from the orchestra - magical moment in the dusk. Great fun. Spectators are as much a part of the event as the singers, and interaction is almost guaranteed. We booked through the website and had no problems getting our tickets. CAVEAT: IF you book via website and then must pick up your tickets in Verona, do not stand in line at the ticket office in the arena. Pre-sold tickets are obtained at another office across the street from the arena.

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Gareth

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunatly, there is no opera on when we are in town, just my luck. We went for the deal on the flight, and didnt check the date for the performances! Anyway, that means we have to go back another time, dear me!