Opera in Venice???

Search

Opera in Venice???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opera in Venice???

Hi! Since I will be in Venice in May and am a huge opera buff, I want to go and see Don Giovanni at the Fenice Theater... but... I've been able to see prices on only on ONE Internet site.... at 375 euros per person! I find this a bit extravagant.

I know that you can buy tickets directly at the Fenice on the day of a show... Are there cheaper tickets then?

If not, any other suggestions for a music lover in Venice that unfortunately can't spend $1,000 on a night at the opera?

Grazie!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM

It's not easy to navigate, but you can buy tickets directly through La Fenice's online ticket seller geticket. For example, the highest price on May 18 - I think, I don't remember what date I chose - is 120 Euro.

http://www.geticket.it/it-IT/booking...odecatalog=329
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM

I have bought tickets from Fenice's online site. While I recalled the process was different from how I bought opera tickets in the U.S., I eventually managed to buy tickets.

While all that were available were loggia seats just barely enough to see the stage, the acoustics was superior to the theaters I have been seeing the opera in the U.S.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! 90 euros is more in my budget. I can't wait! What a dream to have the chance to see this opera in Venice!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Tickets are bought! I'm sooooooooooo excited!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jojo,

when we were last in Venice, we could only get tickets to a concert at La Fenice, nevertheless we enjoyed it very much. it was quite dressy, and lots of the patrons appear to know each other, which is nice.

there is a restaurant across the square where people gather for pre-and post performance drinks, though naturally it gets a bit crowded. Given that restaurants in Venice tend to close earlier than elsewhere in Italy, I think I'd feel inclined to have an early supper elsewhere and then drinks, if you like, afterwards.

look out for the fireman waiting to check the place over when you come out - a hang-over from when the previous building burnt down, I think.

have a great time,

regards, ann
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

When you say dressy, how dressy? We are traveling very light and I wasn't planning on bringing my high heals and my diamonds! ;-)

I know we will be a tad underdressed, but just as long as we can still get in...
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM

We went to LaFenice two years ago and, indeed, it was a treat. Enjoy!

The old Fenice did burn down and I believe the cause is still a mystery today. "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt is a good read before you go as it not only tells of the possible theories of how it burned but gives you a look inside the tight Venetian society and culture.

Best,
DianeBee
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jojo,

I'm talking smart casual here, not furs and tiaras.

I'm sure that some people will be wearing jeans, but if you want to blend in a bit more, I'd go for something like smart trousers/skirt and jacket/pashmina wrap. italians tend to be quite dressy and the Venetians we were sat next to were very dressy indeed. [and knew some of the orchestra and even waved to them, including the most pregnant woman I've ever seen outside a maternity ward, who was playing the cello].