Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to buy tickets online from the Italian ticket office website?

Jul 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi friends,

Found out that there´s gonna be a concert of Vivaldi´s Four Seasons at the Piazza San Marco, Venice, on the day I´m planning to be there. Does anybody know whether it´s safe to buy the concert ticket online from the Italian ticket office website, with pick it up at the ticket office? Here is the link:

https://secure.wmo.at/italianticketo...o-3586-en.html

Thanks.

Aline
Jul 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
J62

This "Italian Ticket office" is an Austrian ticket broker out of Vienna that uses the name.

I have no idea if they are the official broker or just some ticket reseller.

I think you'd be better off finding out the website for the real ticket office.
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Aline, you do realise this event isn't *in* St Mark's Square but in a former church nearby, don't you ? There are lots of these sorts of concerts / smei-staged operas put on for tourists every night in Venice, so I don't think you need to worry about booking in advance. IME the performers span the range from more or less amateur to OK-ish professional - I suspect many are music students. You will most likely come across people in 18th century dress in many places, selling tickets for just these types of events. You may think it worthwhile to do a bit more research on what's available where before deciding what you'd most like to attend, but you really don't need to book until you get to Venice.

I'm afraid I don't agree with you, Monica - many of these online agencies add on a huge mark-up, and for this sort of event - in Venice, at least - you are more likely to get it cheaper buying tickets there.

For more professional or one-off type events, though, I can recommend Vivaticket (used to be Charta,it) which is a reputable agency - I've bought tickets from them for opera more than once with no problems and their mark-up isn't too bad. You can often get tickets there when the official venue's website has none left.

http://www.vivaticket.it/index.php?change_language=1
Jul 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi J62, Caroline and Monica,

Thank you all so much for the help! Will check other sites as well as vivaticket and also consider buying tickets only when I get to Venice. Thought of booking ahead just because, from what people say, August is the busiest month of the year in Italy and I was afraid tickets might run out, but if there really is such a variety of events like these, maybe it´s indeed better to wait until I get there for I may then find something really unique.