Search

Opera at the Arena in Verona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Mic
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opera at the Arena in Verona

My husband and I will be attending an opera at the Arena in Verona in a few weeks. How should we dress? Is a jacket and tie recommended? We are sitting in the "poltrone" section. Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM

you are so lucky!! We just got back and they were setting up for the first opera, Madame Butterfly. It looks very fun..
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:01 PM

I'll never forget seeing at Verona a couple of men with jacket and tie (by the time I saw them, they were carrying those jackets) looking utterly miserable. It was just too HOT that particular August night. The women with them had on spaghetti strap cotton summer shift dresses and a touch of summer jewelry & looked great. Dress casually, but nicely casual. (ie, avoid the shorts, cut offs, jeans & t-shirts "look.&quot Yes, the dress gets a bit more "dressy" as the price of the tickets rise, but still, nice summer casual should be fine. If you will be climbing the stone seats, women may be more comfortable in pants than dresses/skirts. You can't go wrong with dressing as you see the Italians dress during their evening strolls. And, of course, pay attention to the weather. A wrap might sometimes be a good idea if the weather is cool/breezy.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel near the Opera in Verona, or a b-and-b? Reasonably priced that can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children? I'm going there next month.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Sandiedog,

We spent eight glorious nights in Verona this May, staying at Residenza Verona House. We really, REALLY liked this place. We paid 95E/night for a double (including a voucher for breakfast across the street), and I know they have accomodations for families. Even our double had a kitchenette and a washing machine! It was about a five minute pleasant walk to the Arena. A bus stop is close to the hotel as well.

http://www.veronahouse.com/home.uk.html

Enjoy Verona!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Mic...the more expensive the seats, the more fancy the dress. Opening night in the most expensive seats can mean black tie! But in the stands, jacket and tie are not necessary...my kids got chilled without a sweater up there in July, so dress in layers. It was a great experience for my family...our first opera!

We stayed at the Hotel Bologna which is right next to the Arena. Our family of 4 got the family suite, 2 rooms with a queen bed in one room and twin beds in the other sharing a bath (and a tiny shower). It was perfect out night at the opera. 252 Euro including breakfast for all 4 of us. It was the only place that would allow a one night stay.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM

I posted on the wrong thread but I'll try this one too. The Romeo & Juliett is booked, Verona house does not have a cancellation policy which I don't like. I have not heard from Hotel Bologna. Any other recommendations for a b-and-b or hotel near the arena?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM

You might want to check out this hotel, which is very close to the Arena:

http://www.hotelbologna.vr.it/eng/hotel.html
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Sorry, I posted on the wrong thread too. I don't think you mentioned the Hotel Bologna on the other thread.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I have been looking for their website - thanks!