Search

Opel Vectra

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Terri

Opel Vectra

Renting this car later this month for a drive through Spain -- anyone familiar with it? It's a manual, no air, price seemed good (Avis). Wondering if anyone know the trunk capacity. It's for my husband and myself, and we're hoping to keep everything out of sight. Thanks.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Kimerley

We had an Opel Vectra for 3 adults in the UK.<BR>For the 2 of you it should be ok. Our boot fitted 1 large suitcase and a large duffle bag. Whoever sat in the back nursed the other large suitcase!<BR>Enjoy your trip, but I think I'd ask for aircon if you are travelling alot in the car. Mind you I have never been to Spain!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 03:31 AM
Alec

Are you sure your Vectra will have no air-con? Southern Spain in particular can be quite warm at the end of April, with temp reaching 80's. At Avis Spain, only the smallest, economy car (code ECMN) has no air-con. Vectra should be IDMR, meaning Intermediate, Four-door, Manual transmission, Air conditioning.<BR>I drive Vectra myself, a station wagon. It's an easy-to-drive, quite comfortable car, esp on freeways. Mine is diesel, which you should request, because it's very popular in Spain and fuel is 15% cheaper and fuel economy 30% better. Even hatchbacks have decent trunk capacity, at 480 litres or 14.9 cu.ft below luggage cover.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Paulo

We rented a Vectra twice (Avis Germany through Autoeurope). Though the a/c was not guaranteed, both times we got it. I asked Avis clerk in Frankfurt about their midsize cars with respect to a/c and he said that very few didn't have it. I'd guess that the situation in Spain should be similar and unless you pick your car in the evening/night, I'd bet you'll get one with a/c.<BR><BR>No problems regarding trunk, unless your carrying two of those "jumbo" suitcases.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Maggie

We've (spouse and self) rented Vectras two or three times and been very happy. It's a good size---not too big for the real narrow streets and not too small for the highways. My recollection is the trunk space is fine for two "average" suitcases. We now ask for a Vectra when we're renting because it fits our needs so well.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:10 AM
cheryl

Is anybody familiar with a Ford 1.6 (or similar)? It's a Group C class. Will that accomodate 3 people + 3 small luggage. Will that have a real trunk or just a hatchback? Thanks.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Alec

Cheryl<BR><BR>Group C Ford 1.6 would be a Focus, which comes as a sedan, hatchback or station wagon. You have to ask the rental company which type. A Focus has plenty of room for 3 or 4 adults, though it's a bit tight for 5. Luggage space should be adequate at 350 litres or 12.3 cu ft, for 2 large cases and one small.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Bob

I believe that the Opel Vectra and the Saturn LS are essentially the same model. Just go to a Saturn dealer and look at one. I've rented Vectras several times in Italy and they seemed to have plenty of room. With only 2 people I don't think that you'll have a problem with the trunk unless you've overpacked in a big way.<BR>As for the Ford 1.6, there are several models of Ford in Europe that have a 1.6 engine. If its a class C, it's probably a Ford Focus which would be smaller than a Vectra. It's OK for 3 people depending on how far you'll be driving and how much comfort you want. Just go to a Ford dealer and look at one. Verify which model it would be with your rental company. Remember that you will probably get a Ford or "similar car". Few rental companies will actually guarantee an actual car brand and model.