Oops, I waited too long to purchase tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful advice on connecting through Philadelphia from Edinburgh. Sadly I waited a day too long and the fare (US Airways) amost doubled overnight. I'll have to keep an eye out for another sale. I was a little nervous about booking six months in advance. I've never flown US Airways, does anyone have any opinion on them? This will be the first time my husband and I have gone on a big trip like this together (I've been to Britain once and Ireland 4 times) and it will be for our 20th wedding anniversary and also my husband will turn 50 during the trip so I want it to be really special. We have friends picking us up at Heathrow but later in the week we want to take the train to Edinburgh. Any info on how long it will take to get there from the Pulloxhill area? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Other than price, US Air usually comes up a little short.

We have flown US Air to Europe twice. Here was our experience on the last trip - final leg Philly to Atl (originated in Milan).
First problem - no airplane to fly to Atl, 2 hour delay.
2nd problem - no crew to fly the airplane that they found, additional two+ hour delay.
Third problem - glitch in the instruments. Pilot turned the whole plane off (twice) like you do with a computer that's locked up. After leaving the gate, waiting thru que and making it to takeoff line, we went back to the gate. We slept on the floor of the Philly terminal.

Having flights without planes and planes without crews does not inspire love from the flying public.

As far as I know, their customer satisfaction is dead last of all of the major airlines.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are staying in Beds - you should consider flying easyJet from Luton to Edinburgh. Makes more sense than taking the train (which costs more, has changes, and takes longer)
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM

Here in Pgh., if we want to go to Europe, we are pretty much going on USAirways. Except for changing planes in PHL (lots of walking to get to the international gate, and returning is even worse), it is probably no better or worse than most airlines on any given day.

I have never had a major glitch occur in several trips to Europe, but sure, it happens. (Why am I defending USAirways? )
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM

I don't like USAir at all, I think they are terrible, but I thought you were going for price, in which case, one can't be too picky.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM

I have to agree with Grandmere. We go to Europe often, and almost always on USAirways. I think they are ok. I really haven't had a bad experience, and flying United to Europe was much worse.

I'm not sure if USAirways still has the distinction of being lowest in customer satisfaction ratings. I believe they have moved up the scale. But if someone can produce a current reference, of course that would be better.

We flew USAirways to Paris in February, and they were positively delightful. The airport personnel in PHL were wonderful.

I am defending them because I honestly think they've improved significantly.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear that, tuscanlifeedit. I am flying them for the first time (that I can recall) in May. I usually fly Air France or KLM--and really like the service on both, very calm and cordial--but USAir's sale was irresistible.

Of course, after I bought from USAir, NW/KLM and AF had great sales for my dates. Oh well. If I arrive safely, it's been a successful flight.

Good luck, starla.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM

I have flown US air the last two times I flew to Eurpoe, they were fine.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM

We are flying USAir from Philly to CDG in May and our biggest worry is lost luggage as they are also known for that in Philly. Is the dinner served in coach edible or should we bring our own food?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM

We've flown USAir 3 times to Europe and I will choose a nonstop flight anytime over a connection. We flew direct from Philly to Rome twice and into Munich once. We've lucked out I guess, all flights were on time and never had a problem. Our very first trip was with British Air...and we had a two hour delay.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM

I always buy our airfare 4-7 months in advance. We rarely can benefit from sales since we don't live in a hub city, and I usually need to have a firm set of dates for the office vacation calendar. I actually don't think I've ever lost out on lower rates because of it, usually they end up being more than I paid. Also, we get better choice of seats.