Anyone ever fly US AIR to Europe?

Aug 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Anyone ever fly US AIR to Europe?

I got a decent deal (and a mere 200 change penalty) to switch my flights to Spain next week from American Airlines to Paris (4 hour layover, then off to Madrid) and back through Heathrow.

Basically, i wanted to skip Heathrow and the carry on limitations. Additionally, I felt a four hour layover is a waste in Paris with the new search criteria (I was going to go out for breakfast...but that is shot).

I have flown just about every airline BUT US Airways...and with the long flight to Europe I wanted some Fodorite insight.

Thanks.
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We do it all the time. Basically I don't think it's any better or worse than any other airline.

Are you beginning and ending your trip at PHL or some other airport? PHL is a PIA, if you must change planes there.
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Yep...I have a two hour layover in PHI, so it should give me fair time to get to my connection if there is a delay coming out of Logan.
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM

I've flown US air, and just like it says above, it was no better or worse than any other US airline overseas. However, I've heard that PHI is a nightmare in logistics, so make sure you have plenty of time!
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Agree with above posters, and while PHL is a PIA, just grit your teeth and do it, if the rest of the deal is good.
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM

US Air is fine, I've probably flown over w/them 8-10 times never w/a problem. Now Continental is another story. Lufthansa, however, is my personal favorite.
Aug 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM

I flew through PHL to LGW in April and there were NO delays in either direction in Philadelphia to include Customs and Security. It was basically a breeze.
Aug 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM

I've gone USAir thru PHL several times and found the situation much improved this year, with a new international arrivals operation since my unpleaseant 2004 trip.
I like USAir for the planes, Airbus with multichannel seatback entertainment.
Aug 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM

PHL airport is difficult as others have said. Hopefully, you'll have enough time in between, and your flight out of Logan will be on time. We nearly missed our flight to Rome because our CLE-PHL flight was delayed due to mechanical problems. We made it by the skin of our teeth, and thank goodness for a very nice man who drove us all the way across the airport on the cart! If not for him, we definitely would have missed the flight--it was a long trek from one side of the airport to the other!
Good luck.
Aug 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I fly USAir domestically for business all the time (in fact, I just got off a flight and checked into my hotel!). My kids and I flew them to London last year, and I'm flying them to Rome in October. I am a fan of USAir, and have never (knock wood) had a problem with them.

I do try to make connections through Charlotte rather than PHL though, but it's unavoidable sometimes and I just deal with it. I can get a somewhat decent cheesesteak in PHL, and it almost makes up for the general Yuck I feel when I go through PHL!!!

Happy travels!
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

As usual, thank you all. I have a two hour layover, so I (knock on wood), I should be fine. If not, there is a 330 to Madrid.

I'd say the deal is decent (784.00....one week out).
Aug 18th, 2006, 01:25 AM

How many airports do you know about where that "nice man" comes and drives you across the tarmac so you can make a flight? Sounds like the place I would want to "almost miss" a flight.
Aug 19th, 2006, 02:11 AM

hope this will be helpful.

i just came thru' phl from mci via detroit on nwa.my bags were not checked thru to logan, my final dest. much to my surprise, baggage claim was quick with no delays, I had a four hour plus lay-over for my usa flite to logan (cheapest way i could book).i had to go three terminals (a long walk thru'sec. checks) to get to term. e. what i did was..went outside and made the trek to usa ticketing and for $25 fee got the next flight out to logan which saved me the lay-over time in philly.well worth it.

lastly i might add that i have used usa to euro. many times and perfer it over delta but, i also agree with the previous comments that it's pretty much the same as all the us carriers.

good luck and enjoy your trip..adios
Aug 19th, 2006, 02:27 AM

With the new security in effect, two hours might be cutting it thin for PHL International Departures Terminal, especially if your arrival at PHL is to Terminal C, D or E.

U.S. Airways is OK! I have flown them PHL to Europe several times.

You had better check in advance for allowable carry-ons at PHL. Last week TSA was overreacting and essentially not allowing any carry-on items.

Search this Thread