Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ony 3-4 nights in Ortigia, priorities?????????

Mar 8th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

We will only be 3-4 nights in Ortigia, flying from FCO to Catania with my niece, who will have spent 10 days with us in Tuscany (what fun!)

I've been reading trip reports and other threads, but I keep getting all enthused for other areas of Sicily. Those places will need to wait for another trip, I see that Sicily really needs 2-3 weeks to do it justice. I am hoping we can go back there next spring.

So, we do not want to do anything other than explore Ortigia and Syracuse, hopefully with some time for dinner and such with my niece who will be studying in Sicily this fall.

We do not plan to have a car, so I am just looking for special sights, places (best gelato places important) in Ortigia/Syracuse, maybe a "close" day trip.

If you were only there for 3-4 4 nights, what would be your itinerary, your priorities?
Mar 8th, 2014, 05:00 PM

I am sooooooooooo jealous as it truly is a piece of heaven!
Where are you staying? Do stay in Ortigia-we used to stay at the Hotel Gutkowski but the last couple times we stayed right next to the Duomo area at the Hotel Roma.My daughter lived there for 5 months and it was a fabulous place to explore.

Plan on a puppet show which used to be on Weds.night;gelato over by the papyrus fountain spring;walk along the Lungomare towards the castle at night (beautiful!).The food market used to be terrific but then Marriott came in and moved it with the Post Office so they could open a hotel so don't know if it is as good as it used to be? The cruise ship peeps now stop or come down for the day so this Sicilian jewel got discovered unfortunately.

Best coffee place is Caffe Minerva and a really great family place just down the street from it was called something that began with a Z (Zara or Zena?). It is a wonderful city to just wander around and soak up the Sicilian spirit.Have fun!
Mar 8th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Oh lucky you wrenwood! One of my favorite places.

I enjoyed everything I did with 3 days in Ortigia. Maybe you already read my trip report. If not,click my name.

Be sure to try granita, the almond cookies and pastries and lots and lots of seafood. I would recommend the to restaurants where I had dinners.

Wander and enjoy and shop.

Buon viaggio!
Mar 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM
kja

My opinion: 2 days in Ortygia / Siracusa, 1 day in Noto. Any good guidebook should prove invaluable; I found the Rough Guide the most useful of the half dozen or so I used.
Mar 8th, 2014, 07:33 PM

I'm another big fan of Ortygia. If you need somewhere else, you can day trip by bus to Noto, probably to Modica or Ragusa too. Aside from wandering around enjoying the buildings, eating cannoli at the Cafe Minerva, drooling over the Duomo, I enjoyed a boat ride round the island.
Mar 11th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm working on 4-5 nights!
Mar 12th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any advice as to which area to stay in, which side of the island for instance?
Mar 12th, 2014, 03:53 PM
kja

I thoroughly enjoyed L'Approdo delle Sirene:
http://www.apprododellesirene.com
Mar 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd ~ what company/guide did you use for your boat trip?

kja ~ we looked at L'Approdo delle Sirene, but with 3 of us I think we're going to book an apartment

Where is the best gelato in Ortigia?
Mar 13th, 2014, 05:53 AM

wrenwood - I didn't use a company! We just picked a boatman from those waiting around. Don't overthink this, it's a laid back place.

I don't have a sweet tooth so I ate cannoli not gelato...