Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only ONE art museum in Tuscany/Rome. Which one?

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, all! My husband and I will be taking a late honeymoon to Italy this December. I am an art fiend, but my husband is decidedly not. We have struck a deal: I will make him go through only one art museum if he allows me all the time I want in it. Which museum should I pick? My first instinct was for the Uffizi in Florence, but I have read so many enthusiastic reviews of the Galleria Borghese in Rome that I am beginning to wonder if perhaps we should go there instead.

Of course, I sneakily designed the bargain with a loophole: I am strictly defining "art museum" as a place that contains paintings and sculptures but very little else. This allows me to include the Vatican Museums on our itinerary, since they also contain galleries of weaponry and arms and other things that my husband would find interesting-- not just "more paintings on the wall." This loophole also allows me to absorb as much art as I like in churches and other places, so I think it's a pretty fair bargain.

A couple of piggyback questions:

Will Nero's House-- being underground as it is-- be too cold to tour in December?

Can anyone compare the Scala Reale tour with the Through Eternity tour of the Vatican? The TE tour is one hour longer and almost half the price, and Frommer's calls it the best. But I know Scala Reale has a superb reputation. Anyone actually done both?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
ira

Hi t,

I think that this is not a good bargain.

The Borghese and the Vatican in Rome, the Uffizi, the Academia, the Bargello and the Duomo museum are all worth a visit.

Rather than dragging DH through one museum, why not use the same amount of time to visit several?

He is less likely to be bored, and might even like some of it.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM
KT

1) What kind of art do you most want to see? For Giotto or Botticelli, you'd want the Uffizi. For Bernini, the Borghese. And so on.

2) I realize it's your honeymoon, but do you have to do everything together?

I visited the Domus Aurea (Nero's House) in December and don't remember it being any colder than it was outside. Of course, it was a very cold December that year, but still, the site isn't too cold to visit.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:15 PM

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Your dilemma is a difficult one, and I give you a lot of credit for agreeing to one museum.

If you could negotiate upwards, I would make a special deal to see David...which should only take as much time as you need to drag yourself away from him...and the Uffizi. Since you will already be doing the Vatican museums, that might be all your new hubby could take in one city.

We did take a Scala Reale tour of the Vatican/Sistine Chapel and it was wonderful. Our tour guide was so entertaining and informative, and I would highly recommend them.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I with the others so far. Although I love your loophole concept, if you love art and museums that much, couldn't you strike a different bargain with your husband and spend a bit of time apart, allowing each of you to pursue your individual interests? I'd think that would, ultimately, make both of you happier...and you could thank each other later in your hotel room.

It's been so long (1987) since I was in the Uffizi, I can't remember all that much about it, but I'd highly recommend the Galleria Borghese in Rome. In addition to the art, the colorfully painted ceilings are wonderful.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM

You just have to go to the Accademia in Florence to see Michelangelo's David. It will take 20 minutes (that is if you can drag yourself away after such a short time). Since it will be just a short visit, perhaps your husband will also agree to see the Borghese.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM

The Borghese rather than the Uffizi - it's more diverse. There are statues (wonderful, wonderful) plus painted ceilings, plus pictures to look at. And, if your husband gets bored during the 2 hours there he can stroll or sit in the gardens. Sign up for a guided tour. Maybe his lack of interest in art will change if someone explains things to him.

Another "non-museum" in Florence is the San Marco monastery with the Fra Angelico frescoes in each cell and that lovely Annunciation. And, there's also the Medici Chapel, as a chapel it falls into the non-museum category.

If you like frescoes I'd highly recommend the Brancacci Chapel, also in Florence.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Your husband is a saint to go along with this deal. You pull a Clintonesque word game and you think it great that you've fooled your husband?

Good luck on your marriage. Looks like you'll need it.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Hi there Elizabeth

A dilemma to be sure, as the other Fodorites have rightly observed all of the galleries that have been noted are well worth a visit.

Even the the toughest artophobe (I am reluctant to use more judgemental terms) could not fail to be swayed by the beauty of the Sistine Chapel ceiling. Or the artwork adorning St Peters itself in the Vatican.

But the Uffuzi is IMHO, a must see. I was simply stunned by the beauty of some of the works in there, be they paintings or sculpture. Depending upon whether there are many tourists about or not you may have to be prepared to que for a bit. December in Italy can be a bit chilly. Therefore I would suggest wearing comfy shoes and a good jacket. Don't forget to buy one of the guidebooks on the way in. Invaluable for providing background info on each of the rooms and the works within.

Now the tough sell. To really do the Uffuzi justice you may need the whole day in there (I have heard of people spending several days going through but I am not that much of an art nut to spend a good 15 minutes per work admiring brushstrokes). We rushed our way through due to time constraints and still managed to spend 3-4 hours there.

Then of course you have the Galleria Borghese. Again a great destination.

I think more deal making may be required. Especially as Tuscany is littered with smaller galleries and museums which are worth a look.

Good luck with the persuasion. If you succeed you will be rewarded with some very enjoyable sights. Bear in mind you don't go to Italy every week so it would be a shame to go and miss something special.

Steve
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:33 PM

I'm in agreement with the"see ya at dinner honey,have a nice day,enjoy the gelato" Beats dragging someone ANYwhere they don't want to be-would totally ruin your pace and enjoyment.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Have you thought of checking out coffee table books or guides from the library and choosing together?
I find my "galleryphobe" friends and I have enjoyed "Mona Winks," a humorous, often sarcastic, brief guide to major European galleries. He assumes you have only 2-3 hours to spend per gallery. (Yes, I know it's a sacrilege). Maybe a little humour would make the concept of "oh my 3000 paintings on the wall" less daunting.

May you have many happy years and many happy memories. God bless.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:46 PM

I agree with capo...it might be nice to have some time alone. You'll have the rest of your life together, but how often to you get to see truly GREAT art?
Maybe you can make it up to him in another way...