Only one afternoon in Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am returning a rental car around noon at the Dublin airport and spending the night at the Carlton hotel there to fly out early the next morning. What are your recommendations for the "must see" in one afternoon with no transportation? The only thing I really want to see is the Book of Kells. I'm hoping the hotel can give me transportation suggestions to it. I'm open otherwise. Would also like a recommendation for a good place to eat dinner. Any kind of food but something unique in decor.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I returned a rental car in Dublin last Wednesday at Dan Dooley,and I think your hotel is right next to it.
If that's the case,then Bus 16 or 16A runs right in front of the hotel and will take you to downtown Dublin via O'Connell Street.

As for a place to eat,just walk around the Temple Bar area,which is an easy walk from Trinity College,and read the posted menus of the numerous restaurants and pubs in the area.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Trinity/The Book of Kells doesn;t take that long. Consider also going to tour Dublin Castle - only a short walk away.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM

For finding a place to eat I would recomend looking on South Great George's street, rather than temple bar (and I work in temple bar area!) the food is over priced and uninspired, and it is so touristy.
I'd suggest checking out:

l'gueuleton - no website, but lots of reviews if you google it. I had the most amazing steak there.

the market bar marketbar.ie

the Port house - no website

Havana.ie

(Can you tell I enjoy tapas?)
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! I really appreciate the specific details such as the bus line number and the non-touristy restuarant! Thank you/
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:45 AM

I agree foos is just OK in Temple Bar but got to the Gogherty or the Dubliner for a pint. A real older victorian style bar is the Palace on Fleet Street at the beginning of Temple Bar.

Fot food...|Georges street is just one area and limited. L'Gueleton is mobbed and does not take bookings, Market bar is too loud and busy after work if you are on your own..more a place to go with a group.

Port house is off grafton street and nice food and wine but can be busy and tiny.

Aroiund the Grafton Street Area I like Leon on Exchequer street. French style cafe and nice food. There are 2 others but they only fdo cakes or Tartines. FXB is not bad for a steak in Temple bar and was there myself last week...a bit pricey though.On grafton you can go to Cafe Bar Deli in the Old Beweleys building. Its been done up and lovely incide. There is a good seafood restaurant upstairs as well. Think its called Mackrel.

Overall go for a wander!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:01 AM

I went to Cambridge in England last week to see what is one of the world`s most famous universities.The old city centre is beautiful and I really enjoyed it. However most of the colleges are off bounds for non-students and the only money I spent in them was ten dollars for seeing the wonderful inside of the church at King`s College. In Dublin Trinity College is right in the heart of the city and you can wander around the lovely old buildings as you please.The Book of Kells and the Old Library are wonderful and they will charge you for that.See www.tcd.ie
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM

While in Trinity it's worth your while to pay an extra €2 and take a guided tour of the campus. Entrance to the Book of Kells costs €8, but for an extra €2 you get a walking tour of the college given by students.
www.tcd.ie/Library/heritage/tours.php
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM

I agree and the tours are great and informative. The camopus is lovely in the spring and summer.