one week in Switzerland

Mar 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

one week in Switzerland

I don't know where to start! In April, we will be taking a one week trip in Switzerland. We got a great deal on plane fare. I don't know where to go in one week. I know my husband and I want to snowboard one day, and we like bed and breakfasts. Also interested in the Matterhorn and the salt mines..any suggestions??????????
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Zermatt (at the base of the Matterhorn) is a great little town for nightlife as well as skiing. Don't miss the Vernissage - a movie theater/art gallery/bar that allows patrons to grab a drink and recline on a lounge chair to enjoy the latest flick.
Mar 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
JN

With a week, I'd suggest picking two places to base your stay--3-4 days each. As to where those places are, you probably should get a good Fodors or Frommers guide and see what strikes your fancy. Since time doesn't permit a lot of dawdling, you might pick one mountain area (Berner Oberland or Zermatt for example) and one area in either the Italian, French or German cantons. Lots of people like Lugano or Locarno in the Italian area, Luzern in the German area or Vevey/Montreux in the French speaking part of Switzerland.
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Salt mines? Where are they?

Skiing: you have to go high up now because spring is here and the snow is melting. Zermatt should take care of your skiing needs.

Where are you flying into/out of?
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Which airport are you arriving & departing from?
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I agree that for skiing/snowboarding you should go UP and Zermatt / Saas Fee would be just perfect.

schuler, the salt mines are near Bex (lower Valais) if I recall correctly.

If you want to do something else than snowboarding Lac Leman with the region around Montreux/Vevey would be an option with plenty to see.
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Hi Suze and Ingo! Nice to hear from you again!
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Nice to hear from you, schuler (and suze too, of course)!

sorry for hijacking the thread, but could you please give us an impression on Sedrun, please, schuler? have been to Disentis and liked it very much, but only drove through Sedrun on the way to Oberalppass (-Furka- ...) I thought that part of the valley was beautiful too.
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hi Ingo! I organised a skiing trip for 15 English students. The weather forecast called for a wet weekend, however we got sunny skies instead. Sedrun is known to have good weather when there's lousy weather in other places. This was certainly true for us.

We went by train from Schwyz to Sedrun via Andermatt. Our return train was late because of a few small avalanches that went over the tracks. I think this happens quite often. Anyway, the Cisalpino made an extra stop for us in Goeschenen so we made it back to Schwyz without much delay.

We stayed in Hotel Mira in Sedrun. A basic hotel with basic food. Nothing to get excited about. Cost: SFr. 87.-- per person with breakfast.

The skiing was good but Arosa is better. The prices are cheaper and the people are very friendly. I liked the restaurants on the pistes because you felt like they treated you as a customer. We had a coffee in Ustria Plantsch and the owner came by and offered us all a round of their special-spiked coffee. Normal cost is SFr. 7.--. Needless to say, we went back and had lunch there the next day. Good food.

What I didn't like was that the ski lifts are actually in Dieni, which is a 30-40 min. walk from Sedrun. They have buses or trains going often in the morning but later they only go once an hour. A real pain in the Füdli. We had dinner in Dieni on Saturday night but since there was no train or bus, we walked back. Mind you, we ate well and it was a nice evening so we were all happy about our stroll.

Night life: Sedrun is pretty much dead in the evening. However, we were so tired from our skiing that we didn't need any nightlife.

Sedrun has a real nice spa. I spent Sunday there because my legs were jelly after trying to keep up with these real gungho Swiss skiers.

Also, they are building Port Alpina in Sedrun. You just see big buildings and excavations. I heard that once this is finished, we'll have 20-30 min. by train from Schwyz to Sedrun. Interesting.

As for the summer, I think it's a nice place to stop for lunch or to spend the night on a motorbike trip, but I wouldn't use it as a base. Disentis is probably better for that. Also, don't get a hotel room that faces the main road because you'll get the traffic noise.

Hope this is the info you're looking for!
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Exactly the info I was looking for! Wow! Thanks a lot, schuler.

I heard about the Porta Alpina (and read in the NZZ regularly about it ;-) ). Don't believe it. It will be extremely expensive to build and the technological problems for the 800 m elevator are huge. In addition, the fast trains in the new Gotthard Basistunnel will lose an extremely long time to slow down, stop and the get on high speed again - just for a stop for a very few passengers. I don't think it will be built - although I admit that the canton Graubünden spoke a credit for planning.

The distance to Dieni was what I had in mind when I decided against Sedrun for skiing. I dislike to put the skis on the car and drive to the lifts every day.

Thanks for the hotel/restaurant info too. Yes, I think it would be perfect for a break, maybe one overnight.

The spa is nice, but cannot compete with Scuol, eh? haha ...

btw, we had +20 C in Dresden today. Spring takes over ... at my parents home, though, (at 356 m) they still have 20-30 cm snow on the ground. brrrrrrrr!

Thanks again and good night!

Ingo