Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it really worth the time to see Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Katie

Planning our next European trip, wondering if we should visit Switzerland? We enjoy outdoor activities (biking, water sports), have 2 teens, and a relaxing, leisurely pace on our vacations. Any suggestions on things to do and must see places in Switzerland or elsewhere? Thanks

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Lucy

Hi Katie there are a couple of lengthy threads called something along the lines of 'support group for poeple who love Switzerland'. Do a subject search on Switzerland & they're sure to come up - they'll be full of ideas. Cheers...

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:47 AM
jw

And you might also visit Burt Wolf's website at burttravels.com. On his Travels and Traditions PBS show, he visited five or six areas of Switzerland, and the site gives you a good way of contrasting them and what they each have to offer. Have fun planning. J.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:29 AM
swiss

Visit Switzerland? OF COURSE! If you're outdoors-oriented, then head for the eastern alpine area known in German as Graubunden (Grisons in French)- stay in Pontresina, a village at 1800 meters with good hotels ("La Collina" is super)and sports shops, a small movie theatre, plus a local indoor swimming pool for stretching your muscles at the end of the day. The hiking and scenic panoramas are A+. Everything is accessible by foot locally, or by car or the great train service to just-around-the-corner places like St. Moritz, Samedan, Celerina, Silvaplana, and Sils Maria. Best hiking trails I've done there are the Languard/Muottas Muragl area and the Val Fex behind Sils Maria. And I was amazed at all the mountain bikers - tons of them. Water sports? Try, for instance, the lakes near Silvaplana/St. Moritz - the latest thing is something akin to kite-surfing... <BR><BR>Otherwise, must-do mountain areas are Zermatt; Grindelwald/Wengen/Murren; Arosa or Lenzerheide; or if you want the biggest glacier in Europe and an interesting forest area, then the Aletsch region with the villages Bettmeralp and Riederalp. All of these areas are best experienced over a week to really enjoy them. Most besides the lake-areas have access to river/stream rafting. <BR><BR>For a shorter stay, meaning quicker to access - try Adelboden or Gstaad/Saanen in the Bernese Oberland; Villars-sur-Ollon near Lake Geneva; and the area around the Walensee. <BR><BR>If you want to have exposure to city life at the same time, consider staying in Geneva for part of your stay and then renting a car to travel to Chamonix or Megeve (only ca. 1hr.drive), where you'll get the French Alps and river-rafting possibilities.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:12 AM
mauld

Most definately plan a visit to Switzerland! I was there last March, and stayed in Zurich-- which I found not the least bit dull/boring/ or too businessy. I took train down to Lucern (and went up Mt Pilatus)as well as to view the beautiful lake, and also took a train north to Shauffenhausen and Stein am Rhien-both quaint lovely cities near the German border

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:15 AM
wonderboy

More importantly, are you worth Switzerland's time?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Al Godon

Switzerland is not worth the time because all it has is beautiful mountains, scenic lakes, attractive cities and villages, and interesting museums. It is full of sheep, goats, and cows. And those waterfalls just get everything wet.<BR>Who likes riding around looking at the mountains while dangling from a cable?<BR>The darn thing sometimes stops in the middle and there you hang, dangling in the breeze. Nah. Go to Paris where they have really big art museums.<BR>And ride those risk free subways.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:53 AM
posting tips

For Katie, (In case you are new to posting) you will notice, as you received below, phrasing your question in the negative does not get the accurate or informative responses you are looking for.<BR><BR>I LOVE Switzerland and have never gone to Europe without spending time there, but your post makes me want to give smart-*ss answers.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Katie

Thanks for all the information. I will check out the other threads and websites that you suggested. This site is very helpful.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:40 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I've bought a RTW ticket.<BR>Anything worth seeing in US ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com/<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:03 PM

TP