One week in North and West Sardinia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have constructed a tentative itinerary for a week in northern/western Sardinia, and would like to get feedback and any suggestions. We are a 70ish couple who like to walk and love to drive.

Day 1: Ferry from Corsica to Santa Teresa di Galleria. See towns in the Costa Smeralda.

Day 2: Boat trip around Maddalena Archipelago

Day 3: Drive 2 hours to Cala Gonone. Rent boat and see beaches: Cala Goloritze, Grotta del blue Marina, Cala Marilou, Cala Luna

Day 4: Drive to Gola di Gorropu, and take hike into gorge.
Drive from Cala Gonnone to the Baunei

Day 5: See Tiscale; drive to Bosa

Day 6 Drive and see Alghero

Day 7: See Neptune's Grotto and ferry back to Corsica
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Been to this area six times and couldn’t really change your route - the key question is when are you visiting - the six weeks from the third week in July are just mobbed - to the extent that we have had to queue for a space on the beach - out of season it’s wonderful - the beaches on Cala Di Volpe are about the best in Europe , park up as yin arrive just after hotel Cala Di Volpe and there’s a walk in the right down to Elephant Beach which Is usually quiet.

James Bond Beach is usually busy - my favourite beach in Europe is Spaggia del Pirata which is at the end of the road - this is where we queued in August - in May, we were alone.

La Maddalena is lovely and well worth the car ferry - if you can handle a boat , it’s easy to hire small speedboats (if the wind subsides) to tour the islands.

You may find the contrast between the two islands surprising - Southern Corsica in summer is loud and ready to party - Sardinia is geared more towards quiet family villa holidays. Bonifacio in summer knows how to throw a party.

even in summer the driving in Sardinia is fairly easy - out of season it’s eerie - as if you have entered post a nuclear war - we drove from Alghero to a Santa Teresa one May and encountered 7 cars on the whole journey - we counted them as it was becoming spooky - so quiet.
Old May 14th, 2022, 01:01 AM

Cala di Volpe hotel is very (too) expensive. There are much better choices around.
There is a good path from Cala Gonone to Cala Luna.
There are public boats from Cala Gonone to Cala Luna - Cala Goloritze (and others from there to Santa Maria Navarrese).
The gorge hike is rather strenuous. Take enough water with you.
I suppose you know that there are also boats from Porto Torres(and Golfo Aranci) to Corsica (Corsica Ferrries). There is no need to go back to Santa Teresa di Gallura.
Old May 14th, 2022, 11:39 AM

I suggested parking just after the hotel and “too expensive” is a subjective comment. Although, in terms of relative value I’d say most hotels at every level in Italy are too expensive.