Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

one week in Barcelona... is it possible to be bored?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are planning a two week trip, one week in Barcelona and another in Rome, Italy. Right now we have only two solid things planned for Barcelona, a horseback riding tour outside the city for a day, and a trip to the zoo and Beach at least once. What other things should we be looking into? We are both more academically and artistically oriented than huge party scenes, though a recommendation on a good local bar or two would be greatly appreciated. Plus, we are both recent college grads, heading to grad schools, we dont want to break the bank too badly.

Also, we are looking at getting a hotel room. Where would be the best place to stay in the city? and has anyone ever used Booking.com? Some of their deals seem almost too good to be true!

Thanks in advance
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM

search Barcelona on the Forum and you will get a zillion ideas.
It is a great city brimming with museums, history, art, architecture, great restaurants.... etc
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:23 PM

You are not interested in Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, Picasso Museum, Ramblas, Mont Juic, La Boqueria, Montserrat, Gothic quarters, Casa Mila, Casa Batlo, Fundacio Miro, or Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

No those sound interesting. I forgot about Las Ramblas, but over all dont really know what else I should aim for. I know it will be busy, but I dont want to miss something really big! Im just searching for ideas, and you have given me a whole list to look into. Thank you Greg!
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
yk

How about looking up Barcelona under the "Destinations" section on Fodors.com; or getting a guidebook to start? Or go to your local library and take out DVDs on Barcelona?

Instead of blindly asking people what you should do, perhaps you can do some reading first and see what actually interests you?
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Why not get an apartment in Barcelona instead of a hotel? It may be a better deal, with more room, and more freedom than a hotel (well, in terms of making coffee and chilling wine, at least.)

In a week you'll barely scratch the surface but definitely make sure to go to Parc Guell - it is the coolest park ever.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
yk

P.S. Yes, I have used booking.com before. It is a legit company. Make sure you check to see if it's a prepaid rate or not. If prepaid (usually cheaper), it may not be cancellable.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it possible to be bored for a week in Barcelona? I suppose so, but I'd have to try pretty hard.

A great resource on Barcelona is to be found at www.maribelsguides.com, a website maintained by a poster on this message board.

You might find my trip report about a week in Barcelona interesting: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Don't miss the Palau de la musica. A must see.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM

And, the sardonna (I think that's what it's called.) It is a dance that the locals do in front of the old church at different times of the week.