Winging it in Andalucia

Search

Winging it in Andalucia

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winging it in Andalucia

My lady and I will be doing a 2 week Spain trip in late August. We start in Barcelona for 4 nights followed by a night in Segovia. From there we will be 2 nights in Seville. The last 4 nights will consist of Cordoba and Madrid but we are looking for some advice on renting a car in Seville and driving around Southern Spain for 3 nights. Can anyone recommend some great places to eat, sleep and sight-see? We would like to see the coast if possible but we are worried about the heat and not having reservations anywhere. What would be a fun 3 day itinerary leaving from Seville by car and 3 days later ending up in Cordoba?
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Don't forget Granada!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM

In August southern Spain will be incredibly hot - daytime highs often over 100. I would never go without reservations to be sure you can get hotels with excellent AC and good pools.

Can't help with a 3 day itinerary - we have done the area twice - once in 10 days and once in 12 - and still have a lot we want to see.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM

maybe instead of renting a car, you could get a train/bus to a specific area, get a hotel room for 3 days and do day trips from there. that way you have a solid reservation and still can explore without worrying about not getting a place to stay, or making it on time, ect.

There are also some interesting hobby oriented tours of the area available such as Horseback riding etc.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM

If you are going from Segovia to Sevilla (via Madrid taking the Ave) this means you really will only have 1 full day and 2 nights in Sevilla. Have you considered adding a day/night to Sevilla, then take the bus to Granada for 2 nights? You'd forego visiting the white villages but if this is your first trip to Spain I wouldn't miss Granada and wouldn't short change Sevilla. From Granada you could get a bus to Cordoba so you wouldn't even need to rent a car.

Can I ask another question? Why go from Barcelona to Segovia for 1 night, then down to Sevilla from Segovia? If you're heading back up to Madrid at the end of the trip wouldn't it be better to visit Segovia once you're in Central Spain (Madrid). You could take a flight from Barcelona to Sevilla - the flight is less than 2 hours and you can get airfare for less than (or close to) the Ave from Madrid to Sevilla.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM

I agree. Segovia is only 30 min from Madrid by the new AVE line to Valladolid, so an easy day trip. You are trying to cover too much ground at the hottest time of the year. Seville in August is often the hottest city in Europe, with daily highs not 100F, but up to 120F. City is quite dead between 12 noon and 7 pm, as the brutal scorching heat keeps everyone indoors, and sightseeing will be extremely tiring and sweaty experience, a test of endurance. Stay all the time on the coast, and do day trips - lots or organised trips, so no need to drive.