One Way Car Rental in Greece

Jan 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

One Way Car Rental in Greece

We would like to rent a car in Athens and drop in Thessaloniki. Are there any car rental options to avoid a very expensive one-way rental? Thanks for any advice/recommendations on affordable car rental in Greece.
Jan 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM

ttt
Jan 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM

If you find an option, congratulations! And come back and tell us. I was helping someone figure out a trip in 2007 where they picked up a car in THess. and dropped at Athens airport. We tried literally every large rental co that had offices in both places. No luck! I think the cheapest was budget.... they got a stick=shift car for 8-9 days for only about 350€ -- and had to pay 200 drop-off fee! Shocking! Only area I know where drop-off fee is minimal is in Crete.

NOTE: I hear from others on this forum that you get a MUCH better deal on rental if you use this particular website for Budget, don't go through the usual one:
http://www.budget-athens.gr/?gclid=C...Fdx05QodUkGLfw However, I do not know if it will affect the drop-off fee.
Jan 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Try kemwel.com. Also, rentals are typically cheaper if you pick up from a non-airport location.
Jan 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Hi parzmom,
Try this site to comparison shop online. I used it and shaved about $170 off of my 8 day car rental in Spain.

http://www.bnm.com/index.html
BNM car rental price comparison
Jan 8th, 2010, 05:16 AM

We used economy car rentals this summer picking up a car in Athens airport. We found it to be WAY cheaper than any of the other options and were happy with the car, the only thing we were not happy with was their lack of knowledge / help when it came to installing the child seat we had ordered.

We didn't try them for one-way rentals, but I did find that both their basic price and their surcharges were much cheaper than any other site we tried. Their website http://www.economycarrentals.com/ offers you the option to check a box "return car to a different location" and states that they have a base in Thessaloniki, so it should be possible.

jane
Jan 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Littlejane, Economy was one of the places we tried in 2007 -- but try them all!