One Night in Venice

Search

One Night in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Night in Venice

Due to time constraints on our trip in late May, my fiance and I are going to arrive in Venice early one day and stay overnight, leaving late the next afternoon. We will have only a small over night bag, so carrying luggage until check-om isn't a problem, but would you recommend staying near the train station, or going into closer to the Piazza? Anyone have a good recommendation for a 100-120 Euros/night hotel/inn? THANKS!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Hi
In the best of all possible Venices, you would find a budget place near San Marco Piazza because that place is the busy but central hub of Venice, and I never spend a day in V without wanting to make one or two passes through the Piazza. The problem is that budget-minded places in the San Marco district are hard to find, as that location is considered "best" by so many. I will leave it to others to make suggestions, or else browse at www.venere.it and ask for feedback here on any places you find.

The train station area, while not the most charming, is perfectly fine, has several well-thought of, economical places to choose from, and at a leisurely pace is a half-hour or so walk to the Piazza, or you can take a vaporetto (water bus) ride.

The Dorsoduro area is even more convenient, has charm galore, and most of it is within a 15-20 minute walk to the Piazza.

Use the Search this forum box above to look for contact info on such places as La Calcina, Accademia, Leon Bianco, and any of several other popular places, to check on current rates.

Popular hotels are small and book up fast, so best of luck, and on your marriage too.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:35 AM

The Hotel Diana is a Comfort Inn hotel, but not like in Comfort Inn in US. It is a typical small Italian Hotel. It is on the Calle Specchieri which is literally steps from San Marco, but it is very quiet. I know you want around 120E, but it is $180/150E by today's rate per night which is not far off that. You might be able to find a better rate; I just did a quick check. It does include breakfast. We stayed there twice with GoToday and liked it both times.

There really is not bad area in Venice, just some that are more convenient to the main area. For one night, I would definitely stay close to San Marco so you be there at night for the music and unforgettable atmosphere.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:35 AM
ira

Hi cicci,

You might like this hotel:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/lis...n/bernardi.asp
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice and your kind wishes!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:50 AM

We just got back from our Italy trip, and we too were only able to spend 1 night in Venice. We stayed at Locanda Barbarigo, a really nice B&B about a 5 minute walk from St. Marks. We had a triple and it cost $170 Euro. A douple may be less.