Search

Areas in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Areas in Venice

We are looking at staying in 2 star hotels in Venice - we need something clean and in an area that's easy to walk from (maybe 15 minutes tops to get to the San Marco area)Please excuse my unfamiliarity with Venice- I'll be better after our trip! Can anyone please give me one or two pros and cons to each area?
ie: the hotels/areas i've narrowed it down to are-
Bisanzio - in Castello Ouest (what's this area like?)
Casa Rezzonico - in Dorsoduro (directions given were: walk straight to campo San Barnaba, pass the bridge of Pugni (don't cross it) and walk along the canal, we're down the street at n.2813)
and finally
San Giorgio in San Marco (is this area always as chaotic as it sounds so we'e better off staying at a higher end place - or outside of this area?)
We don't want to be near the train station, that's all I'm sure of - we really like the idea of a neighborhood but something that's close to restaurants, transportation and sites.
Thanks so much- I really appreciate all of your help!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi emw,

If you go to www.venere.com and click on Venice you will find a map at the bottom right hand corner of the new page showing the districts of the city.

You can find an interactive map at www.multimap.com.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Venice is small (really, you can walk from one end to the other), and there are basically no bad neighborhoods. You are always close to restaurants and transportation, and it's quite safe. Even the area around the train station is fine. The San Marco area can be congested, particularly on weekends with day trippers, but quiets down at night.

I stayed at the Bisanzio a fews years ago and was altogether underwhelmed by the hotel. The area is quiet, albeit very close to San Marco.

I recently stayed at Locanda Barbarigo, in between San Marco and Accademia bridge (so actually in San Marco). Very close to the main square, but on a dead end fondamenta, so very quiet. I liked it.

No experience with the other properties.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:19 AM

I stayed at Bisanzio the first time I was in Venice 3 years ago (went back 3 times since then). This hotel was a 3-star Best Western. If the other two you mentioned are 2-star properties, the diffrence of prices may be considerable.

I liked the Castello district, not too many tourists on the water front at the end of november and the hotel entrance was 20 meters into a side street and noise was not a problem. I liked walking back to my hotel every (after mid-)night via Piazza San Marco. Pleasant staff and had an elevator. Breakfast was somewhat inferior compared to other qualities of the hotel. Also we paid an extra to change from a rather small and darker room to a larger one. Over all I liked staying at Bisanzio but will not return there.

That's because I found more charming places at lower prices. Since then I stayed in Pensione Accademia and at La Calcina, both in Dorsoduro, quieter residential district of Venice and yet only 15 minute walk to the major tourist sites such as Piazza San Marco and Rialto bridge. I don't know Casa Rezzonico but I might take it because of the disrict. For transportation and restarants, you will have no problem. Only there will be less tourist trap types in Dorsoduro than in San Marco. Also try a vaporetto on Giudecca Canal.

If you do a text search, eg, "dorsoduro and venice", you will find many posts on Dorsoduro (meaning Hard-Back).

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Just across from Locanda Barbarigio is Hotel Ala which is a larger hotel with all the amenities, good breakfast and large rooms (well, at least the deluxe rooms are large enough). The area is great for seeing all the major sights near San Marco Square.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:26 AM

The Bisanzio has gotten consistently good reviews here. I'm surprised to hear it's a 2* though as I think people have quoted prices around 220e/night which is more a 3* price. If you type Bisanzio AND Venice in the text search you'll bring up plenty of threads mentioning it. People like the location & say it's an easy walk to San Marco.
The Casa Rezzonica has also been mentioned here (as recently as yesterday) but not sure anyone who's posted has actually stayed there yet. It's evidently relatively new owned by the same people as the Galleria, a favorite good value place on this board. While I really like the Campo San Barnaba area (it appeared in the opening of the recent film "The Italian Job&quot for it's shops, the floating market and proximity to Campo Santa Margherita where there are lots of cafes, it will be longer than a 15 minute walk to San Marco -maybe 20-25 mins.

I don't know the San Giorgio. While the San Marco area is very busy during the day, there are locations within San Marco that are less frenetic so it's impossible to tell how busy the area around this place is without knowing exactly where it is.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:30 AM

We stayed at Locanda San Barnaba, just down the street? from Campo San Barnaba. The area is wonderful, and we had several very good meals at places just off the Campo San Barnaba. We walked everywhere, only taking a vaporetto once, and it was maybe 15 minutes to San Marco. Walking back to the hotel at night in Venice, when the night is misty, and it is quiet and mysterious is truly one of those reasons why we travel.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Hi
I think any of the locations you mention are good. The only area of San Marco/Castello that I would want to avoid is Ria Schiavoni where the Danieli, Metropole and some other great hotels are situated. In my experience, that "strip" can be indeed crowded and chaotic.

I have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:48 AM

typo, that's "Riva"
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Venice is small so that any place around Accademia Bridge, Dorsoduro, on the Guidecca canal, near San Marcos or up "across town" at Rialto Bridge... are all very close, within a ~1/2 hour (?) walk even getting lost along the way.

My two experiences were both at La Calcina (3-star), it's quite popular, and prices depend on room, view, and season. www.lacalcina.com
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Hi!

Here's info on a nice, convenient place we stayed at in Venice .. hope it's helpful to you.

Hotel Riva
Ponte dell Angelo 531
Castello
Venezia, ITALIA
Tel: 39 04152270349
Fax: 041 528.5551

We obtained rooms here thru www.guestinitaly.com. A modest booking fee is incurred.

We couldn?t have been happier with our choice here. We absolutely loved it. After a day of hiking thru the ?streets? of Venice it was a nice place to come back to for rest.

We had read favorable comments about Hotel Riva and we are glad to add our own. It is situated at the intersection of 3 small canals. We had read about this but it was just so cool to see gondolas cruising by here especially in the late evening. We were even ?entertained? by singing gondoliers at times. Our room was on the 2nd floor and one of the canals was directly below our two big windows. We could lean out over the passing gondolas and it was from this vantage point that we got some great pictures and videos. It was also from this point that we would hear the singing and the accordion playing of some of the gondoliers. It was the neatest thing!

At times water taxis and other small boats would pass by beneath us and the noise of their engines could be heard but this was minor in our opinion.

Breakfast was served in a breakfast room off of the lobby. The hostess, a sweet little Italian lady, welcomed you each morning with a beautiful ringing ?Buono giorno? and upon departing the room an equally sweet ?Grazie or Prego?! The owners of Hotel Riva were very helpful to us and extremely pleasant.

You can walk to St. Marks in less than 5 minutes but even though you are this close to the the Square you are not overwhelmed by crowds where this hotel is located. You are also about 10 minutes away from the Rialto Bridge! The Bridge of Sighs is located on one of the three canals that run by Hotel Riva.

Getting to the key vaporettos is very easy from the hotel as major stations are just outside of St. Marks Square on the water or just a short walk from St. Marks.

There are many nice restaurants in the area as well as mask shops and other shops and bookstores.

The hotel is located in Castello but is right on the border of St. Marks.

We would most certainly stay here again.

Our rate was E110 per nite.

Ciao!!!

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone for your info! I really appreciate it! Elaine, I'd love to see your file on Venice. Please let me know how to email you.
Thanks so much!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Hi
[email protected]

elaine