One night in Munich Ocktoberfest before flying home to US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are scheduled to fly out of Munich on September 20 after spending 10 days in Austria. We don't leave until 12:30 PM on the 20th and plan to arrive in Munich the day before. We are late 50s and have never been to Oktoberfest. My husband of course would like to see it but I am hesitant with all the crowds of tourists. Any suggestions on where to stay that would be convenient to the airport the next day? Or even another option of where to stay in order to get to the airport my noon the next day. We will be coming from Salzburg area.

Thank you!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

And yes, he LOVES beer and has a German heritage!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get reservations YESTERDAY!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try the Platzl.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 03:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to get an airport hotel as they might be the only hotel that would allow a one night stay. Booking.com We usually stay 30 or more minute train ride away. Make sure they will allow you to leave luggage and then get back on the train and head to Theresienwiese stop. Do not take much as security checks are in force now. They use to only stop you before going into the tents. If you go early you can find seats but after 4 the reserved tables are off limits.
Hofbrauhaus tent is the most fun and they have a standing room only part with tall tables that you can stand at without reservations. Augustiner has the best food, they have two tents. The fish tent will squeeze you in if you want to eat after four. More than fish and we had good food and lovely tablemates there.

It is fun and we always have a good time. Pace yourself though!!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 07:44 AM

My friends and I were there in the early afternoon, it was fantastic. You could really see the beautiful tents and the finely dressed older people. I think it was around 12, the rides had not started yet, and we got to eat in one of the beer halls. They were all booked for evening, but had spaces for lunch customers. We were in our late 60's and early 70's. Watched the evening news and knew I definitely didn't want to be there at night. Those days are long over for us.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 08:55 AM
mjs

There is a Sofitel hotel and Meridien hotel next to the Main Train station which is a modest walk away from the Octoberfest and a easy tram ride to the airport. Cost and availability may be an issue.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Yes, stay near the Main Train station, don't stay the night near the airport. Your husband will likely stay for a while in the beer tent, you wouldn't want to go back to the airport in the night after all those beers and singings. The Main Train station (Hauptbahnhof) is near the Oktoberfest ground so all the more convenient. The next morning, your flight is at 12:30 PM so you'll enough time to get from the train station to the airport.

Think of booking a place in a beer tent, otherwise you might have to wait for a long time.

You can start to book your hotel now, the price in Munich will only go up sky-high when Oktoberfest date approaches.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 10:47 AM

> The next morning, your flight is at 12:30 PM so you'll enough time to get from the train station to the airport.

I'd reconsider that. You have to be by 9:30 at the airport and the S-Bahn ride is 50 min. Staying at or near the airport will give you an additional hour in the morning.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
There are three night minimum stays at many places closer to the actual event. The train was actually fun both ways. The party continued.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...ng/index.shtml

A few hotels in this area, just look for something close to the train.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you for all of the help you've given! I'm going to get busy!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Dukey the Platzl looks a little too close for comfort.

We are looking at places in Freising. We're also looking into reservations at one of the tents. Hofbrauhaus or any other recommendations?

We have been to Munich one other time just not Ocktoberfest.

Thanks for the help.