Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One night in Milan - where would you stay - airport or in town?

Jun 25th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying out of Milan to head back home at the end of our trip. We will probably arrive in Milan mid-day on a Friday and will want to see what is left of "The Last Supper," and visit the Leonardo da Vinci Technology Museum. That's really about it.

My question is this - our flight is at 10 a.m. the next day - would you stay at a hotel out at the airport or in town that evening? If we stay out at the airport, we will need to park our car in town that day while we are sightseeing, then drive back to our hotel that night. I really hate leaving our luggage and car all day in town, but not sure how quick of a trip it will be on a Saturday a.m. to get from Milan center to the airport if we stayed in town. Any thoughts?
Jun 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM

When I had the same question in stayed in town, close to the train station, and took the bus from the train station to the airport the next morning. But I didn't have a car - I arrived on the train.
Jun 25th, 2009, 09:00 AM

No matter what the city is, I would ALWAYS stay in the city vs. at an airport. On our last trip, we ended in Milan and flew out of Milan.

We dropped off our car as we entered the city, had a nice last evening in Milan, then took a cab to the airport early the next morning. As I recall, the trip from our hotel to the airport in the (early) morning was quite short, and we were travelling during the workweek.
Jun 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM

My suggestion is to stay near the airport, particularly because you mention you'll be at the very end of your trip at that point. Chances are you'll be a bit tired by then, and Milan is a big town that can take a while (and much frustration/stress) to navigate. Especially if you are renting a car, you'll notice that driving in Northern Italy can be downright scary at times and signage is not always intuitive/tourist friendly. I say, if you have a full itinerary for your trip, save yourself the stress and stay near the hotel so that you can start your journey back home somewhat refreshed.
Jun 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM

There are a couple of things in your posts that hint you need some recalibration on what a day in Milan before flying out REALLY looks like. First off: do you have ADVANCED RESERVATIONS to see "the Last Supper"...and by advanced I mean if you have not already set this up, you are about 3-4 months too late...Second, Malpensa airport (I am assuming you are flying out of MXP, right?) is a good hour off the city, take that into account either way you decide to go. The rental car gives this a whole new spin. MXP is NOT an easy airport to drive around; I would drop the car the day before flying out at the airport upon arrival to Milan, take a shuttle to the hotel and then, if time allows, make arrangements to go into Milan city centre via bus/train.

I took a train Termini-Milan, took the bus Milan to airport, took their public/free Airport shuttle to the Holiday Inn Express and stayed put for my 10am flight the next day. I planned my Milan sightseeing for the earlier part of the trip (arrival). This worked out really well.

No doubt you could stay in Milan city the night before flight,' it is the car that throws off the equation. My advice: get hotel near airport, drop the car night before, go into Milan by bus. I highly recommend the new Holiday Inn Express near MXP; quiet, modern, amazing breakfast buffet, clean, free airport shuttle service, . I paid $64/double!!
Jun 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize MXP is so far out - have a map printed off from ViaMichelin, but haven't studied it yet.

I think we would prefer to stay in town, BUT don't want the stress of getting back, returning car, etc on the same day. Based on input and more thought, I do think we will return car, stay at the airport and pop into town that afternoon. We did make reservations for Last Supper for the end of the day. Thanks for the hotel tip!
Jun 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM

If u can't get into the Holiday Inn Express, check out the Hilton Garden in Somma Lombardo. We got a good rate online a bit more than $64, maybe it was 60 euros.