Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milan for 1 Night - Stay near Airport or Center of City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello... After traveling through parts of Italy, we will be getting to Milan sometime in the late morning/ early afternoon, will spend the night, and catch our noon flight back to the U.S. After taking a train from La Spezia, do you recommend getting a hotel near the airport or is it worth it to stay in the center of the city? I'm not sure about public transportation, regardless of where we stay. Any thoughts are helpful and appreciated!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

FORGOT TO ADD THAT THE AIRPORT WE'LL BE FLYING OUT OF IS MXP.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM

We also arrived in Milan mid-morning for our last night it Italy. We stayed in the city and took the Milan Malpensa Express train from the Cadorna station to the airport which was very convenient.

http://www.malpensaexpress.it/ing/index.html

I don't recall the name of our hotel, but, from what I remember, the hotels in Milan were much pricier than we saw elsewhere in Italy (well, except Venice of course).
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM

We stayed at Hotel Cardano very near MXP before taking our morning flight last year.

They have a free shuttle to the airport, as well as to a restaurant for dinner.

http://www.cardanohotel.com/

We enjoyed our short stay there.

Byrd
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM

We spent two nights in Milan during our last trip to Italy before our flight back to the States. I can't remember the exact time, but I know we had more than ample time to catch a morning flight - subway and train, if I remember correctly.

But what I wanted to stress is that I can't imagine being in/near Milan and not visiting at least the Duomo and its roof, the Galleria, and window shopping all the high-end stores. And the food was surprisingly good. (If time allows, there's also the Last Supper - reservations needed - and La Scala Opera House.)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I would stay in town, get a hotel near the duomo and spend then night shopping and dining. Even a chance to see a show at La Scala if you wanted to!

I love Milan, you have a much more enjoyable evening. Plus if you coming by train you probably come into centrale stazione which is in downtown Milan.

There is nothing to do at an airport hotel, except stay there....

But consider with the morning traffic it will take about 1hr+ to get out MXP, unless you take the train to the airport from centrale stz.

If it was me, I'd enjoy a fun night in Milan.

Ciao