One Night In Amsterdam

Dec 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

One Night In Amsterdam

We will be in Paris for 7 nights and as we have been there many times we have thought we would like to take a quick overnight trip to Amsterdam. We know that we will just get a taste of what Amsterdam has to offer, but that is all we will have time for. We will take the train which is only 3 hr 18 min. from Paris. I would love to get some hotel recommendations that would be central allowing us to get to see some sites; museums, etc. and get to the train easily the next day. We will be there in February and know that most likely it will be cold. We plan to leave Amsterdam on the 6 or 7 pm train.
Dec 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Well now I am actually thinking about using Priceline when the date gets closer. I wouldn't mind going for a 5 star hotel for one night. Any suggestions anyone?
Dec 31st, 2010, 01:05 PM

Ibis hotel is right on platform 1 of Amsterdam Centraal Station - check www.accorhotels.com for off-peak specials like on weekends. But assuming you won't have a ton of luggage there are a gaggle of hotels to the south and west of the station - avoid the south and east side as this is the red-light district with seedy hotels and hostels (at least when you get a few blocks east of the Damrak

You can pay a ton if on the Thalys trains if you do not score deep discounted online tickets - www.voyages-sncf.com or www.thalys.com - literally if just show up can spend a few hundred bucks extra.
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I have actually already purchased my tickets online from Thalys and they were 70 euro rt each. I was hoping for lower, but I can live with that. I don't know when I will get a chance to go to Amsterdam so I thought it best to get there when it is only 3 hours away by train. I'll take a whirlwind tour.
Jan 1st, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Anymore thoughts anyone?
Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM

You might look into the Die Port van Cleve Hotel. It's located just behind the Royal Palace at Dam Square. If you want something centrally located, this might be it. When you get off the train at the central station, just walk south on Damrak Street until you get to Dam Square, then turn right, go pass the Royal Place and look across the street & you're there. It's not a posh hotel by any means, but it's convenient and has a restaurant & bar downstairs.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.