One more stupid question

Search

One more stupid question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more stupid question

I am arriving in Milan in a few days at 8 am. I was considering jetting over to Venice for lunch and then straight to Florence. Too much in a short time or should I head straight to Florence?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Huh?
Do mean flying to Venice just for lunch and then flying/training to Florence?
Hey, if you can afford it, why not?
However, based on your other posting about the Euro vs. the dollar, I don't think you're a rich jetsetter!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Pseudo Jetsetter....Driving. I hear its about 3 hours.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM

That'll be one long day...I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but you'll need more time in Venice.

First of all, you can't drive to Venice. There are no cars, and it's a collection of islands out in a lagoon.

I'd guess by the time you get into Milan, get through customs/immigration, get your car, and start for Venice, it will be closer to 10 or even 11. So if you're prepared to arrive near Venice around 2, then take another hour or two to find parking and get out to Venice, you'll be eating "lunch" around 4.

It's a couple hours more down to Florence. Maybe you could get there in time for a late dinner at 10.

Seriously, I'd wait to go to Venice when you can at least spend the night there. It's extremely touristy and I would think just lunch there would leave a bad taste in your mouth since you wouldn't get a chance to wander the back streets that make Venice charming.

Don't fall victim to the #1 first-timer's to Europe trap -- trying to squeeze everything into one trip. You won't enjoy it as much, and you HAVE to travel with the attitude of "I'll be back".

I don't know how much time you have in Florence, but it's not a very big town, and much of what you want to see is very centrally located. If you can shave a night off of Florence and actually spend the night in Venice, I'd do that.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Certainly you could do it - in terms of logistics. To parka car in Venice you sinply drive to the end of the causeway and dump it in the garage. You then take a vaporetto (you're already "in" Venice) which will get you to San Marco in a short while.

But the driving from Milan to Venice to Florence doesn;t make sense - just way too many hours on the road (7? 8? altogether) - esp after a long overnight flight (you are coming from the US?) just for lunch.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM

There is no such thing as a stupid question.....however, this one comes fairly close!
Not practical at all.,, especially if you have flown all night and are somewhat jetlagged. Not safe at all to drive that far.
(I'm wondering why you aren't flying straight to Florence.) We waited over an hour for our luggage in Milan (but I've heard that is not the norm.)
Hope you can find time to visit Venice for a couple of days and if not, then "next time".
Other people have commented that Venice is not a place one considers has having good food.....but there is magic in the air nevertheless.

"Jules" has a good, sensible post.
and the timing she describes seems about right. (and that's not including major traffic hangups on the "autoroute"?.