Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for opinion on Rome and Amalfi Coast Itinerary

Oct 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I have spent the last 5 days trying to workout a realistic itinerary for 11 days in Rome and on the Amalfi Coast during late June 2006. We are a couple, early 30's who love the great outdoors and are resonably fit and healthy. We are not really into museums or art galleries - more into the outdoors, archelogoical sites and little out of the way villages.

Here are our ideas, I would like to hear your opinons and recommendations.

3 Days in Rome including the day we arrive (6.00am)
Day 1 Fri, Colosseum, Circus Maximus, Forum, Capitalne Hill, Pantheon

Day 2 Sat, Vatican City, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps

Day 3 Sun, Open to suggestions - should we take a day tour somewhere - where? Or are we trying to get to much into the 2 days and will need the 3rd Day to fit in some of the places from day 1 and 2?

Day 4 Mon, Travel from Rome to Naples to Positano.
This day will be mostly spent travelling. Don't have any plans to see anything in Naples am I missing anything of major importance?
From Naples should I catch the train to Sorento and catch a bus or ferry to Positano or should I catch the train to Salerno and then catch a bus or ferry to Positano?

3 Full Days based at Positano - Day 5,6,7

We would like to cover Pompeii, Herculaneum, Temple of Athen, Mt Vesuvio, and visit villages along the coast. I think something is going to have to give - is seeing Pompeii and Herculaneum a much of a muchness - i don't want to over do it and get bored? Does anyone recommend Mt Vesuvio, can this be combined on the same day we see Pompeii? I really keen to see the Temple of Athen however.

Day 8 Fri, Travel from Positano to Sorrento by ferry or bus? to catch Ferry to Ischia AM.

Day 9 Sat, Ischia

Day 10 Sun, Ishia

During the 3 days, we plan to see Castello Aragonese and St Angelo Village. We want to partake in some termal bathing and will probably need a massage by then - any recommenations of where is good and reasonalby priced? We'd like to get in some hiking and snorkelling - any suggestion on spots? Any other recommendations on what we can do?

Day 11 Mon, Catch early ferry from Ischia to Naples and catch plane to Malta for the next leg of our trip.

Looking for suggestions on cheap accommodation in Rome, Positano and Ischia. We want to keep the cost of accommodation to a minium. We are not that fussy, just need somewhere to shower and sleep.

Any suggestions on places to eat in Rome, Positano and Ischia would also be welcomed. Nothing fancy and over the top, nice and simple at a resonable price - good value.

I know I am asking a lot and I thank you all in advance for your help.

Cheers
Oct 30th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Molly, I'd like to comment on the 3 days in Rome.

I see that you arriving early on on Friday. I assume you are flying in from the states, and you may want to rest some before you start touring, but if you really want to see the Vatican, you should go there on Friday, and not saturday or Sunday. The crowds on the weekend in Rome (especially in June, and even more so at the Vatican) are horrendous on the weekend, so whatever is most important to you, do it on friday. Also, don't try to combine too many things with the Vatican.

Some comments about touring around -

What you have listed for the first day will fill a day - that is the colliseum, the forum etc, except for the pantheon, which is the kind of place which can take 10 minutes or an hour depending on what you like. It's closer to the Spanish steps than the colliseum, and should be done together with the activities you've described for the second day (steps, trevi etc.)

Regarding the Spanish steps... if you love the great outdooors, you'll probably hate the spanish steps. It is like visiting grand central station at rush hour on July 3.

You also don't yet know where you will be staying (which can affect your schedule), but I suggest the following 3 days:

day 1: the vatican and whatever else can be done on the same day, depending on where you will be staying.

day 2: walk around old Rome (this is defined by a triangle whose 3 points are Piazza Popollo, Piazza barberini, and Piazza Venezia). Visit the Pantheon, the spanish steps, the trevi fountain, the Via del Corso, Via condotti, etc....Just a day for walking around and seeing Rome

day 3: Visit the Colisseum, the forum, the monument at Piazza Venezia and the other sites in the general area on Sunday. They close off the streets in this area on Sunday and it becomes a big street festival. If the weather is nice, it makes for a beautiful day!

As for where to stay, I don't know what your budget is, but i just got back from Rome where we stayed at a very nice B&B called the Nicolas Inn which is excellently located and cost 130 Eiros per night which is very good value in Rome.
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM

My comments concern the Amalfi Coast segment:

No car? Without one, how can you see the "little out of the way villages"?
(Massa Lubrense for instance.)

Why is Day 4 lost to travel? Rome->Sorrento is only a couple of hours by car.

I suggest Pompeii and Mt Vesuvio in one day, provided that the tip of the Mt is not clouded over. If so, don't go. Also, "is seeing Pompeii and Herculaneum a much of a muchness - i don't want to over do it and get bored" - one is enough IMO.

I question your choice of Ischia over Capri.

We based for a week in Piano di Sorrento, halfway between Sorrento and Positano, and went to Ravello, Punta Campanella and Pompeii/Mt V. from there easily. Also left the car there for two nights on Capri.
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM

The Vatican museum closes early on Saturdays so you should visit early if you want to see the Sistine Chapel, etc. and then go to St. Peter's in the afternoon.
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Just to give you an idea of distances (walking time).

The Spanish Steps to the Fountain of Trevi is under 15 minutes. Turn right 90 degrees and 5-6 minutes to the Pantheon. Keep walking another couplf of minute to Piaza Navonna. Then it's about 15-20 (max) minutes to the Capitoline Hill.

Depending upon your interests and the time of day you could just sit around Piaza Navonna having a drink after walking several hours.

When we were in Rome two years ago we just walked around for a few days and managed to pass/stop at the Spanish Steps 4-5 times.

If you walk up the Steps and veer ahead and right, you'll end up on the Via Veneto. That's one of the old grand boulevards, tree lined.

There are definitely different directions you can take from each place.

Testavere is the more hip up-and-coming area. The old Jewish area.

I agree that Friday might be a better choice for the Vatican. Get there as early as you can. If you go Saturday, get there well before 9AM.

We stayed in Sorrento. It has much easier transportation.

Capri is beautiful and you'll get varying opinions about the Blue Grotto. My opinion it's a waste of time, but...

We've been to Sorrento twice and both time passed on the ruins of Pompeii. Just not our thing.

Oct 30th, 2005, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi MJ,

Temple of Athena is in Paestum, South of Positano, Pompeii, etc are North.

I suggest taking the ferry from Positano to Salerno and then the train to Paestum. Return to Salerno by train and take the SITA bus to Positano. You change buses in Amalfi.

From Rome to Positano, either train to Naples, train to Sorrento and bus to Positano OR train to Salerno and ferry to Positano (you can also take the bus).

Nov 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for you most helpful comments and hints. sssteve, thank you for your comments on Rome, I have adjusted the itinerary taking your recommendations on board. Thanks again
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM

We have never driven a car from Rome to Sorrento, but I seriously doubt you can drive there in two hours.
Wherever you stay on the Amalfi Coast, do go see Ravello, it will require a bus ride from Amalfi, but you will be so glad you did. What a wonderful spot! Positano is also a great place to stay with lots of great restaurants. Let me know if you want some suggestions.
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Hi there ,
My Fiance and I are due to get married in Rome in July 2006 and plan a honeymoon in Amalfi region , anyone give us a few pointers ? i.e. food, places to see and places not to see?
Jan 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I have driven from Rome to Sorrento several times, and never under three hours. Even though I keep up with most of the autostrada traffic!
Jan 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Also, I would not miss Pompeii no matter what else you do!
Jan 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM

I remembered being warned NOT to take the train from Rome to Sorrento as the Naples-Sorrento leg is a horribly slow and uncomfortable commuter train. Much better to take the train from Naples to Salerno (which means you'll be overshooting the Amalfi Coast) and then the bus or ferry to whatever town you want to stay in. I did this, and it worked out well.

I am probably unusual in that I did not love Capri, found it too touristy and not really offering anything that the towns on the coast did.

Make sure you take the bus to Ravello and see the gardens of the Hotel Cimbrone. They charge a small admission, but they're absolutely stunning. Gore Vidal said it's the most beautiful place on earth, and I think he may be right.

The terrace of the Hotel Santa Maria in Ravello is a great place for lunch, and, although I didn't stay there myself, it seems like it would make for a very romantic lodging.

I stayed in a very basic hostel in the little town of Altrani, a short walk from Amalfi. Very lovely little square and a nice beach. Even if you don't stay in Altrani (it might be "Atrani"?) you should see it. Actually, if you stay in Ravello which is in the hills, Altrani would be your beach of choice--it's just a short bus ride away.

Hope this helps!