Search

One Dinner Splurge in Paris on HoneyMoon

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Dinner Splurge in Paris on HoneyMoon

Hello to all,
Will be going to Paris for a few days in mid July 07 then off to Italy for the remainder of our HoneyMoon. I'm somewhat of a baby foodie and just want to share an exceptionally exquisite meal with my new wife before we leave. Atmosphere is important- but all I really care about is how great the food is. After much research of reviews and posts L'Ambroisie seems to top the chart as the closest thing to culinary "Perfection". Does anyone know how much lunch/dinner would be for 2(Average). We don't drink. This is a One-time splurge, would not normally or ever for that matter- spend so much on one dinner. Wouldn't like to spend more than $500 on the dinner- but is it worth it? The reviews are so enticing to read- I need to know what such food tastes like! Am really tempted to not do L'Ambroisie, do a set lunch at Taillevent and a Romantic last night dinner for my wife at "Les Ombres" for the Scenery. What do you suggest?

Thank you in advance.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM

My husband and I are doing lunch at taillevent and dinner as Les Ombres this week! i'll let you know it is
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM

There is a post entitled "Most Unforgettable Meals" on the Europe forum that includes several recommendations for Paris.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I don't know you so can't give a perceptive answer, but just my feeling from what I glean from your post, I would say to go for the less expensive Taillevent lunch and dinner at a place less pricey than L'Ambroisie, such as Les Ombres or anyone of dozens of Parisian addresses. That way you can have two memorable experiences and I am sure, with the reputation that these places have, the food will be beyond reproach. You don't want to go to a place where you are in the slightest bit worried about ordering based on price.

You say you are a baby foodie. Some of the excitement in Paris now is not at the h.c. restaurants with the huge names and constallation of stars, but at the smaller chef-driven places that have not yet garnered their first, or second, star. Look into some of these places..places that you may never of heard of....

I hope I have not overstepped here...just was feeling free with my opinions..

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Here is a link that shows 3* Michelin restaurants. The person giving the review is a Brit food writer.

Click on his review and you will see what his opinion is, quite high. As best as I can tell, you will push that $500 without wine.

Caveat, the hardest part is getting a reservation. Good luck.

http://www.michelinrestaurantsguide....star-guide.asp
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I mentioned this site on another post, but you might like scrolling through it for ideas. Luscious photos, too.
http://www.aistesite.com/weblog/paris_food/index.html
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM

With the specific review of L'Ambroisie (and photos)
http://www.aistesite.com/weblog/2007...isie_bern.html
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I think the best dinner splurge for a honeymoon would be my top pick of the moment: LES OMBRES- the glass ceilinged rooftop restaurant at the Quai Branly museum-you can't beat that view of the Eiffel Tower at night, with the sparkles going off on the hour, the views of the Seine as well, the food, it's got it all. Tasting menu is 95 Euro-but you must book in advance, as it is a hot table these days because of the chef and those views.

www.lesombres-restaurant.com/

The website will show what the restaurant looks like at night-this place will definitely put you in a Parisian state of mind.

Old May 8th, 2007, 02:50 AM

So there you have it: Dinner at Les Ombres and either the less expensive set lunch at Taillevent (although I personally do not like the set lunches all that much) or have another dinner at one of the smaller chef-driven places. I discussed above. And make sure to fill us in on the details after you return!

Old May 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL very Much! I think we'll pass on L'Ambroisie, but still want to have a 3 star meal before we go. Restaurants Like Le Meurice, Pre Catelan,Les Ambassadeurs, and Le Grand Vefour have reasonably priced set lunch/dinner menus. Any Suggestions?? I'm leaning more towards Pre or Le Meurice-and have heard great things about Les Ambassadeurs... yet I've read mixed reviews on GvF!? Would you replace any of these with our reservation for lunch at Taillevent? I still though am planning on taking my wife to Les Ombres on our last night in Paris as a surprise and romantic night out!

Ekscrunchy: Thank You much for your post- there was no overstepping.What kind of "smaller chef-driven" places did you have in mind??

Looking forward to your responses and Thank You again in advance!

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM

There are many of these, but I was thinking along the lines of:

Chez L'Ami Jean
Ze Kitchen Galerie
Le Chateaubriand
Bath's
L'Entredgeu
Le Comptoir

A few of these are not so well known but if you read the reports and reviews on food sites, you will get the idea.

Also, consider a meal at Les Magnolias which is outside central Paris but easy to access by RER and gets rave reviews. (I have never been, though)

http://www.lesmagnolias.com/

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM

We had lunch at Les Ambassadeurs. Excellent food, strikingly handsome setting. You still get a bit of that "hotel restaurant" feel, but we were fine with that.
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:05 PM

I just dined there a couple days ago -- L'Ambroisie was a major disappointment.... The food was excellent but the service arrogant. I would go so far as to say that the sommelier was extremely unpleasant and, when selecting one of our wines, overcharged us. When we brought it up, they were totally dismissive. We felt like we had fallen into a tourist trap of sorts... It totally ruined the experience. Instead, I would recommend the Grand Vefour, where the service and food have been far superior in my opinion. Also, a meal for 2 at either place will cost you more than $500, unless you don't drink, which seems to be your case. Good luck!

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM

All good suggestions so far but I have to put my two cents in.
My splurge dinner was at Pre Catalan and it was unimaginably great. Set in the Bois de Boulogne, the atmosphere can't be beat (in fact, if you go, leave time to wander around the grounds in the daylight). The food - well, it was my first 3* and the quality and amount was extraordinary. The waiter approached with an offish look and I worried that we were in for a cold-shoulder but he couldn't have been nicer or more tolerant of our lack of French. The whole experience was wonderful. Just be warned that the cab fare doubles after a certain hour. We also discovered that dessert was overkill especially since they bring a few nibbles between courses and after the meal.
Hope this helps a little.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM

We had dinners at both Taillevant and le comptoir. Both were fabulous. Le comptoir definitely more of a brasserie atmosphere, and much less expensive. We were clued in to go on Saturday night and stand in line on the sidewalk outside (they don't take reservations on weekends, and for weekdays you have to book weeks ahead). Taillevant you can do for under $500 (just) especially if you don't drink. But the service and atmosphere are exquisite, well worth it. Taillevant is closed on Sat/Sun.

One other thing we did that was quite posh was to go to the George V for coffee and dessert.