one day trip possible to Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My family (myself, husband, and 3 kids 10 and under) are going to Manchester the end of June. This was a last minute vacation decision so we did not do a lot of planning. I have reasearched via the internet to find out about various resturants, muesems, parks, etc. We would like to go to Scotland for a day-is this possible? I have looked at the train times and it seems to be about a 3-4 hour train ride to Edinburgh. Is there somewhere closer in Scotland worth visiting? Glasgow, Inverness- they all are just as far or further.

Also,I noticed there are a couple of theme parks- Pleasure Beach in Blackpool and Camelot Theme Park. I am assuming Pleasure Beach is the place to go, but wanted to know if anyone has been there.

One more question- as far as resturants are there any child friendly places that anyone views as a "must go to" place?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM

As much as I love SW Scotland, I think this is alot to ask of three kids under 10. Stay close to Manchester and find cool places there. There are very cool things in Northern England!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The only place in Scotland that is both reachable by train and has things for kids would be Edinburgh. But it isn't a very good idea for a day trip w/ three very young kids..

You chose Manchester as a holiday destination for some reason - you will be better off to stay in the area. You could explore some castles in North Wales. Or maybe a day trip to York. The Museum in York is brilliant - one of the best in the country. And the railway museum is great too.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM

I have to agree with your previous correspondents. It's too much.

You could, with a car, pick a biig hoose and an abbey in the Borders, but you can't do that by train.

Blackpool is like Atlantic City on a bad day. Is that what you had in mind?

If you MUST do a Theme Park, I'd suggest Alton Towers

http://www.alton-towers.co.uk/resort/gethere.asp
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I really didn't have a clue and I just thought a theme park would be fun to break up all the museum trips. I also discovered a sort of flea market on Sundays.
I was afraid it would be to much to go to Scotland. I guess I was hoping it wouldn't be to bad since it was a train vs. driving. Oh well, another trip to consider for future travels.
Thanks for the heads up on Blackpool. Alton Towers looks fun and my kids love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Thanks.