Need List of Scotland "Must See's"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four (2 kids ages 12 and 10) are planning a 14 day holiday in Scotland in July 08. We are planning on flying into Edinburgh and out of Edinburgh 2 weeks later. We are conducting our own research but would appreciate any tips from any of the forum members who have knowledge of Scotland and are willing to share their suggestions with me. We would like to know the best Castles, Churches, scenic places and some adventure, as well. Also, We are hoping that there is some place set up that shows the true culture of the country, for the children's sake. The way they live, what there trades are and possible demomstrations IE: Kilt making etc.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to assist me in my holiday planning.

Reggs
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Are you planning to rent a car?

I live in Edinburgh and my husband's godson is visiting this summer for a week (age 12) - we don't have a car here, so we're getting around by train and bus. We're planning to take him to Stirling Castle and then to a castle with one of the Historic Scotland days (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/...ces/events.htm). We were at one at Scone 2 summers ago and there was jousting - it was great fun. There are different things available and it runs all through the summer.

What are your kids into? Our godson is really into history so he's just beyond excited (first trip to Europe) to see the castles and graveyards and such.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are sooooo many places that would fill your requirements - you can go anywhere in Scotland and see castles, scenery, etc etc. I <b>highly</b> recommend you pick up a copy of &quot;Scotland the Best&quot; by Peter Irvine.

It isn't a &quot;guide book&quot; as such - but an amazing compendium of all things in Scotland. Best Castles, Best hikes, Best pubs, Best viewpoints, Best gardens, Best scenic drives, -- restaurants, museums, craft centers, kids activities, golf courses, etc etc etc.

Where to go and what to see -- there are literally scores of different routes you could take and any one person's &quot;musts&quot; will be a subjective opinion.

Many one-time visitors will post here that &quot;you must go to 'such and such' - it was amazing&quot; not realizing there are many other places in the same area that are even better.

In general - you could spend about 3 days in Edinburgh and then pick up a car and do a circle route -- but w/ just 10-11 days you will not be able to see/do everything. I would read some of the other threads about Scotland - there are lots - and work out a general idea of an itinerary. Then we can help you refine it.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35058184
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM

I agree... Scotland the Best is a wonderful resource! I picked up a copy for our trip this summer, as well, thanks to the recommendations of the wonderful folks on this board
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Well my two Scottish must-sees would most certainly include (beyond Edinburgh which is firmly there on your itinerary anyway):

1. The train route from Glasgow to Mallaig (a quite stunning journey that skirts lochs, climbs up over Rannoch Moor, and circles Ben Nevis to reach the west coast at Mallaig).

2. A visit to one of the western islands. For a first time visitor, I'd recommend Colonsay for a couple of nights. But others could equally fill the bill. Others among my favourites are Barra, Canna or - not quite an island, but a peninsula easily reached from Mallaig by boat - beautiful Knoydart.

I hope this helps, but more experienced Fodorites will doubtless come in with sound advice. Scotland can be absolutely wonderful in July. You will all surely enjoy it.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM

The entire country Scotland is one big MUST SEE in my mind. It is absolutely glorious and therefore impossible to list all the must sees. I've been there many times and am going again in 2010. My husband and I have been to nearly 100 Scottish castles, tons of abbeys and other historical sites, etc. The charming villages are spectacular and there are thousands of them to see. It really depends on which areas you want to see.

Want scenery? Driving in the Highlands is pure joy. You can do some gorgeous walking. Actually, almost everywhere in the country is superb. I love the Borders area as well. Heck - I love the entire country! The country is so diverse and changes every few miles. The east coastal towns are wonderful as well.

If you are there in July you should see Highland Games - well worth it. Kids would love it, too. Sheep-herding is also fascinating if you can find it.

The people are probably the most generous and spirited and loyal and intriguing I have ever met. Just love the accents as well.

I would highly recommend you stay at B&amp;B's to really experience true culture. UK B&amp;B's are the best on the planet and offer glimpses of life not seen in many hotels I would imagine. They are so personal, quaint, charming - not to mention much cheaper. You also cannot miss their huge full Scottish breakfasts!

Once you decide on the areas let us know so we can recommend more specific sites (i.e. castles - I am a HUGE castle lover).

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Okay, here is a slightly different take. This is focused on your kids learning a lot about Scottish history, while all of you get to experience the scenic beauty of the country. I like the idea of taking the train as much as possible so you can enjoy the view instead of dealing with finding your way.

1. Start with the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. In addition to being a beautiful building, it offers a terrificly interesting look at the social, economic, and political history of Scotland, told through artifacts, not dry lectures. The Science Museum, next door, shows the engineering and industrial history of Scotland.

2. While in Edinburgh, visit the Castle, then walk down the Royal Mile to Holyrood House (skip the Parliament until later). Then visit the New Town and probably the National Gallery of Scotland. Why are the Old and New Towns so different? What does it tell you about Scotland in the 18th Century?

3. Visit Stirling to see the Castle and the Wallace Monument. Who was William Wallace? Why did they build a monument to him?

4. Continue to Glasgow. In Glasgow, observe the many tower blocks (high rise buildings)around the outskirts of the city. Who lives there? How did they get there? Are they happy? Where did they live before? Why did they move? How did Glasgow pass from being one of the wealthiest cities in the British Isles to one of the poorest?

Visit the museums in Kelvingrove to see the art and engineering collections developed when Scotland was a world leader in industry.

Go to the center of the city to have tea in a restaurant designed by Charles Rennie McIntosh. Who was McIntosh, and why do people from all over the world study his buildings? What other nearby buildings were designed by him?

5. It would be great if you could take the West Highland Railway from Glasgow to Ft William, passing by the Holy Loch (why was it famous? Hint, it has an American connection), Loch Lomond, Rannoch Moor, and Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles.

Stop for the night in Ft William. Arrange a visit to Glen Coe, the most magnificent valley in Scotland. What happened here between the Campbells and the McDonalds? Why? What Robert Louis Stevenson novel is set in this area?

6. Take the train on to Mallaig. As you pass over Glenfinnan Viaduct, ask yourself what recent movie character passed through this landscape on his way to school?

Why is so much of Scotland empty countryside? Do you see the ruins of small cottages and farm buildings on the hills? Why did it have more people in the past than now? Where did they go?

7. Mallaig is a small village. What would it be like to live there? What do people do for a living? Watch the boats come and go before taking the ferry to the Isle of Skye. Have you ever taken a ferry before?

And on and on. I'll let someone else take it from there. Surely you want to go to a Gaelic speaking area, to learn about the 1715 and 1745 uprisings, Flora McDonald, and more! How to make being a tourist an adventure!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I would put Glencoe up there at No.1,as it was breathtaking...No.2,I would put Stirling Castle..No.3.The Trossachs
No.4.Edinburgh's Princes St.looking across and seeing the view of The Castle..No.5.If you want to see the real Glasgow people then pay a visit to The Barras at the weekend..A great big outdoor,(mainly),market selling new,second-hand,etc.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM

bookmarking
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM

We spent 12 days in Scotland a few years ago with our daughter, who was 11 at the time and still considers this among her favorite trips. Here's a link to our trip report, in case any of this is helpful.

http://www.onelittleworld.com/scotland_1.html
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM

The above list is good. My wife likes gardens, and the Princess Street Gardens were a special attraction for her.

My must see is Scotland is a little more fanciful. I want to see the Loch Ness Monster without the assistance of Scotch.

There have been no reported sightings in a while that I have heard. I think all this branding of the monster as a hoax hurt its feelings and she is off pouting somewhere.

I know, I have read all the scientific spewings of the non believers who contend that the critter ain't real.

Regardless, I still want to visit the Loch on a dark, stormy day in the fall and see what turns up.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Reggs, my children were 11 and 13 when we took our first trip to Scotland (their first trip abroad). We did a 10 day driving circuit, covered far too much ground in far too little time, but it was the best family trip we've ever had (my girls are now 20 and 22 and we've been to Europe with them numerous times since then).

This was pre-Fodor's days for me, but we stumbled upon Irvine's &quot;Scotland the Best&quot; which became our bible. It did not ever steer us wrong. In fact, we found our favorite lodging/restaurant in the world (no longer under same management, unfortunately) and some other wonderful sites. So I second (or I think third) that book recommendation.

I agree that your family should try to take in Highland Games, which are held every weekend in one or more assorted towns. These are usually very local in feel, as opposed to the large extravaganzas you will often come across in North American Highland Games. (I've spent years and years attending the games in the US, Canada and Scotland.) Here's a link to listings of the Highland Games in Scotland:
http://www.albagames.co.uk/
You can pull up a chronological list, or check alphabetically by town.

Here are a few ways that we found to experiencing Scottish &quot;life&quot; -
We visited the Scottish Wool Center in Aberfoyle (in the Trossachs). It had a live sheep show which was so corny and funny, but we saw and learned about lots of rare breeds of sheep. There was a mini highland demonstration on the grounds - heavy athletics, highland dancing, etc. This is very tourist oriented but my children enjoyed it lots.

Also, if you are near Pitlochry on a Monday evening, there is an open air evening of highland entertainment. It features a cheesy comedian (and I laugh at the same jokes every time!), highland dancing, bagpipe band, Scottish country dancing, fiddle playing. Also aimed at tourists, but it still feels like a local fair. http://www.list.co.uk/event/78972-highland-night/
My girls have played the bagpipes and drums as part of a visiting pipe band at this show.

You might enjoy visiting the Heritage Center at New Lanark, a restored cotton mill village on Loch Lomond:
http://www.newlanark.org/
We've not been, but friend of ours really enjoyed it. Maybe someone here can comment?

Also, on July 25-27, 2008 there is a Folk Festival on the shores of Loch Lomond:
http://www.lomondfolkfestival.com/

Some random notes of things my girls liked:

Stirling Castle had a birds of prey exhibition while we were there. We also had a great tour guide who made the place come alive.

The Green Welly Stop makes for a fun rest stop. It is a kind of down home truck stop, without the trucks. There is a nice outdoors shop there with hiking gear, outdoor clothing and a huge selection of... green wellies. Lots of different brands, prices, styles, and ever some that aren't green. It's located in Tyndrum and we stop on the drive from Glen Coe to the Trossachs. http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/

They both liked Rob Roy's grave and the little waterfall nearby.

They were both fascinated by our visit to a distillery along the &quot;Whisky Trail&quot;.

Seeing the highland cows as we drove was a huge hit. We stopped several times for pictures.

If you have a sunny day in Edinburgh, I'd recommend a visit to the Camera Obscura, which is very near the castle. It is a pinhole camera that &quot;projects&quot; into a large shallow dish. You can watch the scene outside, as people walk around. Low tech but fascinating.
http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/

Another great family outing in Edinburgh is walking up to Arthur's Seat, a big hill right in the downtown (near Holyrood Palace/Park). http://www.scotland-flavour.co.uk/ar...eat-crags.html

My girls kept journals of our first trip, and it is so much fun to go back and read about their impressions of the things we did.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Noe847 has given you some really good info/suggestions. But just one slight correction - If you get down into the Borders I second New Lanark - but it is not on or even near Loch Lomond. It is a fair bit SE of Glasgow.

Some other spots kids would love could be the Scottish Deer Centre in Fife http://www.tsdc.co.uk/attraction.htm

The Northeast Falconry Centre near Huntly http://www.huntly-falconry.co.uk/ Huntly Castle is terrific too.

The Falkirk Wheel http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/ between Edinburgh and Stirling

Linlithgow Palace is one of the best ruins for clambering over.

Dunnottar Castle http://www.dunnottarcastle.co.uk/ on the east coast south of Aberdeen

A boat ride on the Moray Firth to see the dolphins http://www.high-lights.co.uk/dolphins/index.html
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Yipes, sorry about that error! I am conflating two different places in my mind (what's left of it). If I think of the place on Loch Lomond, I'll post it.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I am Reggs (the original poster), and after reading my first responses I am so excited about this trip! After months of reading sooo many touring books and feeling so confused, and not having a clue where to even start to plan my itenerary... you all have put forth such effort in guiding me towards the holiday of our dreams! I so appreciate you all for taking the time and effort to truly give me direction. Some of you have written lengthy responses and I want you to know that it is greatly appreciated. I will be checking the postings everyday until my trip is completely approved and booked!

Now for my responses;

I live in Bangkok Thailand and after reading my postings from janisj,Green Dragon, and noe 847 I headed to our top book stores today. Unfortunately, none of them carry &quot;Scottland the Best&quot; by Peter Irvine and to order it will take 2 months! Soooo, I will have my husband get on the net tonight to order us one and have it sent overseas to us quickly.

Pitt purple: We will hire a car when necessary, but the train idea (so many other fodorites have suggested) sounds pretty good when that will be possible. Thanks for the events web site; it sounds like it is exactly some of the info we are looking for.

What are my kids into? Adventure They have been to: The Eiffel Tower in Paris, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, The Colliseum, The Parthenon in Greece,Australia, Stone Henge in England, The Great Wall of China, The Huge Merlion in Singapore, Ankor Wat in Cambodia, and we just finished Boracay Island and climbing the Taal Volcano in the Philippines. My husband and I are American, but we have never lived there. They have always attended Bristish schools, so there history is more European based. They love adventure and we all live for our Travels and discovering new cultures and exploring fabulous lands. This trip will be preceeded by 9 days in Ireland and then 12 in Scottland. To be honest, I am ashamed to say...we know nothing about either place. We want to fix that!

travel 2 live 2: You sound like you love the adventure like we do. B and B's sound like a great idea. BIG QUESTION: Do most places to stay in Scotland have airconditioned rooms?

Ackislander: My children love History and I plan on printing out your questions to bring with me. We like to encorporate some education in the midst of the adventure. Are you a teacher by any chance or perhaps a Scotsman?

chalieg: What does 'bookmarking' mean?

Bobbrown: Your response was very humorous! Inverness will definately be on our list! I will let you know if we see anything!

noe 847: Fabulos suggestions, my dear! The Pitlochry sounds fantastic!

I will continue taking your suggestions, so please check in from time to time to answer the extensive questions I will have along the way! Thanks for your kindness thus far!!!
Reggs
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

This is an addendum from Reggs for the previous posting, My husband and I have been been born and raised in the USA- it is are children who have never lived there!!! Sorry, misprint!

Thanks, Reggs
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:13 AM

<i>&quot; What are my kids into? Adventure They have been to: The Eiffel Tower in Paris, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, The Colliseum, The Parthenon in Greece,Australia, Stone Henge in England, The Great Wall of China, The Huge Merlion in Singapore, Ankor Wat in Cambodia, and we just finished Boracay Island and climbing the Taal Volcano in the Philippines.&quot;</i>

Thanks for the additional information, Reggs. In light of what you've said about your kids I have a few thoughts:

When we took our Scotland holiday it was my children's first overseas trip. It was lots less about adventure and much more about taking delight in the everyday. Most of what I highlighted above were things that they noted in their journals, but for them, just hearing different accents was an adventure. Little things caught their fancy. The top thing on my 11 year old's list was to roll in some heather. Well, our first driving day we found this beautiful hillside covered in blooming heather and the girls clambered up it and rolled to her heart's content. I will never forget that moment of seeing my girls' pure enjoyment, not to mention the dozens of rabbits who hopped out of their way!

You seem to have a style of travel geared to the iconic sites of each locale, as that's how you describe their previous trips, and indeed how you titled this thread. I am not criticizing that approach but I am also not certain that your children will find the same kind of delight in the very modest things that I suggested, especially since they are seasoned travelers and they seem to thrive on adventure and famous attractions. In my view Scotland does not have that &quot;one&quot; attraction that is a &quot;must see&quot;, unless you count the Loch Ness Monster Maybe you could also add Loch Lomond or Eilean Donan castle, but I wouldn't put any of the three as a &quot;must see&quot; for first time visitors.

In any event, and I meant to put this in my post, don't plan your itinerary around being in Pitlochry for the Monday show (or being in Aberfoyle for the Wool Centre) - they are small local shows for tourists that highlight a certain brand of (corny) Scottish humor and retain a bit of sweet local feel. Not the Eiffel Tower or Great Wall, however! I will stand by the suggestion to locate and plan around a Highland Games in one of the towns - they are usually on a Saturday or Sunday. While not an &quot;adventure&quot; I do think it provides a glimpse into how the Scots experience their heritage (they almost always involves carnival rides and a bouncy castle along with the caber toss and bagpipe competitions!)

A year or two ago there was a Fodorite who went to Scotland expecting drama - spectacular scenery, etc., and came back quite disappointed (she had been forewarned on her planning thread, however, iirc). I find Scotland achingly beautiful, although often in a subtle way. There is certainly tons of drama and intrigue in Scottish history to satisfy anyone!

As for air conditioning, I can almost guarantee that 1. you won't need it and 2. you won't be able to find it! Check the historical averages for July in Scotland and you'll see that you're more likely to need a wrap (especially for the evenings) than clothing for hot weather.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM

To see some spectacular countryside and mountains, rent the movies Stardust (filmed in part on the Isle of Skye) and Kidnapped (2005). Beautiful!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM

And get the movie Local Hero, for scenery and quirky Scots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -