One day layover - Marseille ...

Jun 14th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

One day layover - Marseille ...

We decided to layover one day in Marseille prior to heading to Corsica. Unfortunately I didn’t do a good job with planning for this one day. And so we’re sort of bored and stuck by the airport. A couple of questions:
- what is the best way to get into Marseille from the airport ... a taxi looks to cost ~50€ each way
- what to do in Marseille ... we’d thought to simply go into the town area and spend the day, but not sure what’s there; if it’s conducive to walking and shopping, etc.

Suggestions are appreciated 😁

Ciao ... Dorm
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:22 AM

There is an airport bus that doesn't cost that much, I think it leaves every 15 minutes and takes about a half hour to go to the Marseille train station St Charles. Go the the gare routiere (bus station), quai 6. It's line 91. Somewhere around there should be info and signs. I can't recall how I got the ticket, I think there is a ticket clerk out near where the bus leaves. I think it was 7-10 euro, not sure.
https://www.lepilote.com/fr/part10/n...t-charles/1070

Ther e is also the train, there is a free navette (go to the bus station, quai 5) that goes from the airport to the TER train station, from there, it's a short train into the Marseille train station, you can buy tickets from a clerk or the machine. I don't know how often they run.

As for what to do, you could just wander around the old port area, but otherwise it's too complicated to explain all you can do, there are various museums, the old quarter, etc. There must be a tourist information booth on the city at the airport, I'd think. If not, there is one in the city at 11 La Canabiere which isn't very far from the Vieux Port metro stop. La Canabiere is a street and it's just a couple blocks up from the port.

Last edited by Christina; Jun 14th, 2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typos
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Instead of Marseilles, take the shuttle from the airport into Aix. The distance is nearly the same. I do not remember the cost, but it was a fair price. Aix is small, so easy to walk, and absolutely beautiful, with one wide shady avenue (gorgeous Cours Mirabeau) and lots of narrow cobblestone streets with lovely shady squares and many, many cafes. If it is not too late in the day, there will probably be a flower and fruit market some place. There is also a little, cheap or free, open shuttle that runs around the city center. Pick it up by the big fountain on Cours Mirabeau.

If you are at the fountain, facing the end of Cours Mirabeau, take one of the little streets slightly to the left (Rue Espariat?) from the fountain or one off Cours Mirabeau, for the area of cobblestones and cafes. Circle around and walk from the other end of Cours Mirabeau back to the fountain.

There are museums and things in Marseilles too, but IMHO, Aix is so much prettier. Just walking all over there is a nice experience.

Even if I had to splurge for a taxi, I would still do Aix, especially with only one day. I think you will get much more there with just a day. One day there is like a gift.
Jun 14th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Bouillabaisse!
Jun 14th, 2018, 09:45 AM

We got back two days ago from a three night stay in Marseille and were surprised at how much we liked it. The bus to/from the airport was 8.30 Euros and took about half an hour. The Old Port is beautiful with Forts anchoring either side and the view from the Cathedral Notre Dame de la Garde was absolutely gorgeous. I had read so many negative reviews about the city that I wasn't sure what to expect, but we loved it--it's vibrant and diverse and gritty (although in my opinion it had less graffiti and garbage than Lisbon) but has stunning views and great people watching. We were planning to visit some museums but walking around was so enjoyable we decided to skip them this time.
Jun 15th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass ... we took your advice and have had a delightful day. The weather here has been great; the bus was easy and Aix en Provence just what we needed after yesterday’s long flight.

Ciao ... Dorm
Jun 15th, 2018, 08:01 AM

We bussed to Marseilles from Aix. Double-check this older info but the #60 bus at the old port wnet to Notre Dame de Garde when we were there. Lovely church and view. Eat at the port if possible.

Here's what we did after we walked from the gare:

"We pass the History Museum and its Garden of Vestiges (ruins) and find the main street, Canebiere and the Old Port. We walked right into the #60 bus (3, 40) that goes up the hills to Notre Dame de Garde.

It takes another zig zagging half hour to reach the top! Can’t imagine walking this. It’s a beautiful little church with an amazing view. The church has many nautical pictures and boat mobiles. JR reads that hermit lived here first. Well, he’d have to be-who’d come up here? We walk around and take shots then wait about 15 minutes for the next bus. Talk with a couple from Ireland. She and JR compare ancestors.

Back to Old Port and where there appears to be a semi circle of restaurants including McDonalds. We end up at La Brasserie. Nice couples from Marseille suggest squid and we go eeuuww. They then suggest the fish special “Daurade Royale Grillée” (17, 90) which looks less eeuuww to DR. JR gets Croustillants aux Trois Fromages (12,90). Wine is Vin de Pay de la Drome (10, 60). Everything is really delicious. Foursome on other side are mother and son from Texas with grandparents who are French. Son is going to Sorbonne but taking immersion French class in St. Tropez! Poor child.

We have lingering lunch with lots of talk then find our way back to bus stop via Canebiere and one left turn onto Rue Ferreol. We pass interesting sculptures and architecture. "

Have a great time!
Jun 15th, 2018, 08:02 AM

So happy it was nice for you. Thanks for letting me know.
Jun 15th, 2018, 12:11 PM

Sorry to be too late! Glad you enjoyed Mareseilles, dorm57,
Jun 15th, 2018, 05:06 PM

bookmarking for early September when we dock in Cassis...... hopefully we'll see two of the three: Cassis' calanques, the city of Marseilles, or Aix!
Jun 15th, 2018, 05:42 PM

I forgot to mention it earlier, but for anyone else going to Aix, avoid the cafeteria on one side of Cours Mirabeau. Food is OK, but it is crowded and noisy. Choose a place further down on the other side of Cours Mirabeau or (my preference) go to the fountain side and walk a few blocks out of the main area. If you eat meat, have Tagine. It is heavy, but fantastic.
I feel sure you could also get good Tagine in Marseilles.
Two places in one day seems like a lot.
Jun 17th, 2018, 08:35 AM

DH and I made Aix a base one time. We hung out on Place Richelme. Cours Mirabeau had more going on on the weekend days, and Deux Garcons resto is on the Cours if you are interested in history.

Search this Thread