One day in Paris!

Search

One day in Paris!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Paris!

I will be staying in London with my Mother in law(70) and my daughter(19) and planning to take the Chunnel to Paris for a day trip. I have been to Paris twice. My daughter wants to see the Eiffel tower so we plan on doing that. We won't be doing any museums. The last time I was in Paris I really liked the Marais. I didn't have enough time to really explore, but loved the vibe. We are looking for a day of shopping(boutiques), great food, people watching and possibly a trip down the Seine. I am not the 'touristy' type of traveler and like to experience the culture. I have never done the 'bus tours' but my daughter is wanting to. Suggestions? I literally cringe on even thinking of a bus tour! lol! She wants to ride on the top of the bus! Anyways would appreciate any Restaurant recommendations for sure! Again let me express that I don't want to get involved with all the 'touristy' sites.. Thank you for any recommendations! Greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 03:58 PM

>I don't want to get involved with all the 'touristy' sites.< You will be a tourist, spending a few hours in Paris. It's difficult to experience the "culture" unless you're willing to spend some time and ignore the other tourists you will encounter.

Knowing nothing about your taste in cuisine, or budget, check out Patricia Wells' "A Food Lover's Guide to Paris" (www.patriciawells.com).
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 04:16 PM

I am not the 'touristy' type of traveler and like to experience the culture

You will be there for a day for heavens' sake--Paris "culture" is ALL around you. You don't have to do a bus tour but that particular bus isn't all that bad and takes an hour--why not. We have done it--it really doesn't ''hurt".
Get a guide book and do some stuff out of it. Have a picnic in the park in front of the Eiffel Tower. The vibe of the Marais?
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

sounds like my post is offense to you....was not my intention....
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not offensive -- at all. Just not very realistic. You will be in Paris 8 hours tops, probably less, and want to see the Eiffel Tower, the Marais, a boat ride and people watch. How can that plan be <i>anything</i> but 'touristy'? Just accept that you are tourists

What is your budget and what sorts of food are you looking for?
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 06:05 PM

If this is your daughter's 1st trip to Paris, wouldn't it be fun to do what she imagines Paris to be?

Like someone said, you'll be in Paris 8, maybe 9 hours. You'll have 4-5 hours of travel time. The bus trip seems like it may not be terrible. Or the boat trip.

I get what you mean about not wanting to be a tourist because we think of them (or at least I do) as people who drive funny, stop to gawk at stuff while I'm trying to get somewhere but we/they are also travelers and being a "tourist" is part of that. Anyone that thinks otherwise is missing out on important parts of travel. Attractions attracts tourists, there's nothing to be done.

At least your daughter doesn't want to go to Disneyland

Go be a tourist with her and enjoy the heck out of it!
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 03:24 PM

In summary, you are looking for suggestions for roughly 8 hours in Paris that will appeal to you (age and interests unspecified), your 70 year old mother and your 19 year old daughter? Somewhat of a challenge, but here goes:

1. Get to the Eiffel Tower as early as possible. I believe you can pre-book tickets to ascend at least to the second level. We finally did this on our 8th trip to Paris, and it was quite enjoyable despite being quintessentially touristy.

2. Depending on how long #1 takes, cab/metro to Rodin Museum, buy lunch and in the garden among the sculptures. Many French families, not just tourists.

3. From there, cab/metro to Ile St. Louis to walk around, enjoy an ice cream.

4. From there, a VERY short walk to Notre Dame; may also try to see St. Chapelle, but may be long lines.

5. If you still have time/energy, a walk through the Tuileries or metro to Montmartre/Sacre Coeur.

6. Finally, Batobus or other boat ride on the Seine before heading back to London.

Bonne chance!
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 09:32 PM

when is this taking place?

if the weather is nice, spending time in Luxembourg is nice, and if the Eiffel tower is one of the focus points for this trip, yes, get there early, then make your way across town towards gare du nord slowly: this can well be done by bus.

the #80 bus has its stop at the other end of champ de mars, at ecole militaire and takes you all the way across town to montmartre/sacre coeur.

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/fr/ra...pe/plus_rapide

or you can take the #82 from there to jardin du luxembourg for some stolling and sitting under trees at a guinguette.

both buses take you through nice parts of town and are not touristy: you'll be riding with the locals.

then you can take the #38 along Boulevard St Michel to get to Rue de Rivoli. From there you can explore Marais, Notre Dame Ile St Louis etc. the #38 goes straight to Gare du Nord, so at the end of your day you can pick it up again to get to the station.

finally

How well does your mother in law walk?
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 05:18 AM

Don't go up in the Tower and save that time for looking at it from the various parts of Paris.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 06:51 AM

Agree with doing what your daughter wants to do.

And, hey, everyone of us is tourist away from the place we live.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 07:01 AM

Amen to being a tourist!! Resistance is futile. ;o)
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 08:07 AM

Agree with all of the above.
Forget the vibe and soaking into the culture : you don't speak the language, you're there in a hurry, you want to see at least one major touristy site.
You're a tourist, get the most out of it.
Go on the bus (the touristy one HoHo) so that your mother can save her leges for some walking and your daugther gets fun.
I'd highly recommend a 'Vedette' on the Seine - not too big a one, I was there in june with the family and all the top was taken by a large group of Chinese.
Restaurant / please tell us what you're after...
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 06:56 AM

For a really nice "sightseeing" bus for the RATP, do the #42. I think it starts at Gare du Nord and ends at Eiffel Tower. You won't have commentary but you will have a nice overview. The other ones suggested are good also.
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 11:34 AM

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/cartebus.php

to search bus routes through nice parts of town. you click on a line and it lights up.
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 12:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ooh -- I love that map. Thanks menachem.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Pariswat, we are 'foodies'! Would love a quaint little place somewhere in the Marais. Possibly eat outside? Thanks again for all your suggestions! and yes I am a 'tourist'!
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 10:18 PM

Not a foodie, but I like nice bistrots and one we like very much is:

Bistrot de l'Oulette, 38 Rue des Tournelles

It's near Place des Vosges.

They do very nice lunch menus as well

http://www.l-oulette.com/en

No tables outside though. In the Marais, sidewalks are narrow.

Another of our favorites is

La Place Royale, 2 Bis Place des Vosges

Very nice location, right on Place des Vosges. And they do have outside tables, under the arcade. Good lunch menu too!