12 hours in Paris

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Nicole

12 hours in Paris

Yipee! I just secured a day trip to paris via the Eurostar from London. The problem is that now I don't know what to do. I know that a day is not nearly enough to see the real city, but I am eager for whatever taste I can get (not sure when we will be able to return). I have picked up a few books, and intend to try and focus on just a few things: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and Notre-Dame.
My questions are this: We are in our mid twenties, and are fairly well traveled, but are contemplating hiring a guide to really get the most out of our short time. We usually just explore, going where the day takes us... How much true sense of the city can you possibly get with a guide? Also, are there afternoon masses at Notre-Dame on Mondays? Would you even try to get into the Louvre? Thank you all so much in advance for your help.
Nicole

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:05 PM
anon

Frugal travelers might say that $5 worth of gas to get to the library and obtain a book about Paris would have been a wise expenditure. Particularly before spending so much money on round trip train travel for a single day's entertainment.

Don't know how long you plan to be in Europe, but if you leap before you look every single day, you're going to spend a lot of money.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Tony

Hello. Used the services of a great Paris guide found here on the Fodors boards for a one day tour of the major sites in Paris. He was the best. His name is Michael, write to him at [email protected] for more information. Write to me also if necessary.
Tony

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:38 PM
xxx

I think that if you are just looking to enjoy the day, forget trying to get in every site and spend time people watching. Find a cafe, explore a neighborhood or browse little shops. Can't tell you about Mass at NotreDame, but I have heard that they are in Latin.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Annette

Forget the guide. My boyfriend and I spent a good 12 hours our first time in Paris and saw TONS of stuff. We walked everywhere...including up and down the Eiffel, took pics at the Arc, rode that crazy Ferris Wheel and saw Notre Dame. Really, just wandering around will be loads of fun! Wear good walking shoes!

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:17 AM
CARMENR

Just attended Sunday mass @ Notre Dame a month ago. Don't worry. It was in French.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Chris

Nicole, don't let replies like "anon's" get you down. It sounds like you did spend the $5 in gas and get a book. You're asking for opinions.

I wouldn't hire a guide, do it yourself. You'll get a decent sense of the city without a guide. And I would try for the Louvre -- just to see what's on the "must see list".

As long as it's a nice day, you can cover quite a bit just walking. I find starting from Notre Dame to be the best (and the view of Paris better than from the Eiffel Tower -- from the Eiffel Tower, everything looks so small and you can hardly see Notre Dame), then to St Chappelle. From there, walk to the Louvre. Hop a metro to George V and walk up to the Arc, then take a metro out to the Eiffel Tower.

It's a very sight-seeing intensive day though. If you're more into relaxing and settling in, forget the Eiffel Tower and the Arc (they're the furthest points out) and stay around Notre Dame and the Louvre (the Conciergie and the Cluny are pretty cool too).

And if you plan on going back in the future, you can adjust the hectic pace a little and save something for the next trip.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Christina

There is a mass a Notre Dame weekdays at 8 am, noon and 6:15 pm.

No, I would not go to the Louvre.

No, I would not hire a guide to see a major city during a few hours on a day trip. What you want to see you can easily do yourself, and major tourist attractions (which it sounds like is what you want to see and that you haven't been there before) don't require guides; in fact, those are the things that require less guiding than anything else, as they are listed in every single guidebook on Paris that exists. If you want to learn more, just buy a decent guidebook with a little history, like the Michelin Green guide. That book also has several walking tours of the main interesting quarters and should be all you need to pick and choose what you want to do on your own.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Nicole

OP here. Thank you all so much for your help. After all your advice, I think that we are going to go it alone. I really apreciate everyone's time and opinions, you are truly a great resource. Happy travels to you all.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:45 PM
ttt

topping

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Em

Please let us know how everything goes!