Reload this Page >

Airplane wardrobe

Search

Airplane wardrobe

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
livvy

Airplane wardrobe

There were a lot of postings about "what to wear in Italy or France or Greece etc" but what do you wear on your way to those countries?? (I mean on the plane). I just got, what I thought to be 2 extreme answers. My aunt told me she wears "jogging suit" when travelling because all she has to do on the plane is sleep and she wants to be comfortable. Now once in the country of destination, she wears the appropriate clothes. My friend, on the other hand, wears very stylish clothes with 1 1/2 inch heel shoes during the plane ride. Both say they are comfortable in their choice of wardrobe. what is the middle ground then? I want to be comfortable but at the same time quite presentable and respectable looking to the custom people in the country I am going to. I don't really like to wear denim jeans and tennis shoes but neither do I want to wear high heels!! Any thoughts??

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:13 PM
Jody

We live in Fl and most often travel in March and October. It's warm here and cool or cold where we are going. I usually wear Black knit drawstring pants, a silk or knit top , black and white or white and balck, and a sweater, carry my coat or a Pashmina. Low heeeled shoes and I do wear support hose, I don't want to risk DVT , Sometimes I wear a silk elastic waisted full skirt and silk top and sweater. quite comfortable and looks good, either in the cool weather or when we come home.Neithere wrinkle and I get off the plane looking as good as when I went on. I don't understand the jean thing, in warm weather they are HOT, otherwise they are not soft and are constraining so whats the advantage?? <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:17 PM
Lori

I travel every year in April to Europe and I'd never wear a jogging suit on the plane - but I also would never wear 1 1/2 inch heel shoes. What I do wear is black crinkly fabric pants (with elastic draw string type waist-never a belt or tight waist, black socks & low heel shoes. I usually will wear a non-wrinkle fabric top, this year it was burgandy sweater type top with short sleeves. With that I took a burgandy/black/gray subtle plaid blazer & my black raincoat. I got off the flight from LA to London with no creases or looking like I had slept in my clothes. An outfit like that looks decent, is very comfortable and allows you to get on and off the plane looking dressed decently as well. I also believe in freshening up an hour or so from the destination .. do a decent wash up, redo makeup, etc. It will help go a long way in making you look presentable. Why bother some may ask -- well, it's an individual thing, I just like to look presentable (and besides airline personnel, etc. tend to treat you a little better if you are dressed decently I've noticed ... maybe not all of them, but 90% anyway).

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:20 PM
Judy

Hi Livvy, I wear comfy clothes, but no jogging suits(I don't wear them except for excercising). Black cotton knits pants, a cotton loose top or boat neck cotton sweater, trouser or cotton socks, and very comfy Nickel shoes. <BR> On Fodor's Travel advice page, they recommend dressing nicely for air travel. I always think if I look good, that MAYBE, some nice tkt agent will say "You can sit in Business class"..... well, you never know! <BR>My daughter always laughs at the fact that I dress for success when I travel. Kids.... what do they know! <BR>I always feel better, when I look my best. <BR>Differant strokes, I guess. <BR>Judy

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:43 PM
Teresa

I agree with the previous posters. After all, you will be arriving at the hotel in whatever clothes you wore on the plane, and unless you're going to a youth hostel.... <BR> <BR>I hardly ever wear pants, so on plane trips I always wear a nice but casual cotton or lightweight linen dress (wrinkle-friendly) that's fairly loose so it's comfy to sit in, medium-heeled sandals, and a light sweater. <BR> <BR>Then again, this is what I wear to go shopping too--I'd never leave the house wearing anything that would make me want to hide if I ran into an old boyfriend .

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:37 PM
Thyra

Actually I always dress in layers for the plane since it never fails that it is either freezing cold or boiling hot for most of the flight. <BR>Another reason for wearing or at least bringing a bulky sweater is to save you from having to pack it, and you can use it as back support when those little pillows go flat. <BR>Also I wear my big black all weather walking shoes which I promptly remove on the plane.. don't want to pack them either.. and since they go with most everything I'd rather have them on my feet. <BR>I wear very loose fitting grey slacks that I can swell up in and sleep in, and a tee-shirt underneath my sweater...(see the line above about freezing or boiling) Also, I carry my leather jacket since I don't want it getting lost in transit. <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:17 PM
Mel

I travel in March and September/October. I wear narrow black slacks that have a little lycra in them for "expansion" (I have several pair in khaki and black from Old Navy). They don't wrinkle and don't look as inexpensive as they are! I wear a GOOD long-sleeved t-shirt kind of top in white or grey and always, always a black wool blazer, which is my one indispensible item of clothing (dress it up with a scarf, dress it down with a t-shirt...). It's the only coat I take since I, too, layer, if necessary. I used to wear black suade Rockport tie shoes until I picked up a pair of black low, leather zip-up boots with a chunky heel that are SO comfortable I can walk all day in them and they look much smarter. (I wear them on the plane to follow the rule of wearing your bulkiest clothes). <BR>No one's mentioned men: My husband wears black dockers and a golf shirt with a windshirt and loafers but, come to think of it, that's what he wears every day! Is it just my husband or do men in general not get all caught up in that "nothing that binds, nothing too hot, nothing too cool" thing when flying?

Old May 24th, 2001, 03:46 AM
Uh oh

Mel, I always thought you were a man and read this post with increasing wonder at what you must look like with your scarves, etc.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Mel

Uh-oh: <BR>TOO funny! I remember being surprised when I learned StCirq was a woman. Now, if Elvira turns out to be a man, all my illusions will be shattered!

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Christine

I also try to wear dark colors because if I wear a white top I will, without fail, spill something!

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Lol

I can't stand anything around my waist when I have to sit for long periods, so I wear neither slacks nor a skirt, but either a longish jumper with one of my white tops or a loose longish dress -- long so that my legs will stay warm and and I can curl up in various positions without giving seat mates more to see than I want. I also wear my clunky walking shoes but unlace them the minute I'm settled; and over all I have my lightweight indestructable microfiber trench coat, which works as another layer if I'm cold, or a lap/leg covering, or rolled up as another pillow/back support. This way I'm at least presentable if not excessively stylish.

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:29 AM
michele

I'm with Thyra; I layer up as the plane is usually freezing.I tend to wear black wool pants, shirt, and dark sweater (cardigan--easier to take off should the temperature rise). I also carry a leather jacket (usually traveling to London in March or April) and wear leather boots , which I take off as soon as I get on the plane. I then slip into cashmere socks (worth the $$$) for the rest of the trip.Warm, soft and they breathe.

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:39 AM
elvira

There would be a whole bunch of people who'd be surprised if I were a man, and a lot of psychotherapy would ensue, but I digress: <BR> <BR>Comfort/looks/safety are my criteria for onboard: for comfort, I want something that keeps me warm and lets me sleep - broomstick, crinkly linenish or knit skirt or pants with an elastic waistband (girls, if the waist is too tight, don't buy the skirt or pants; if it's a casing with the elastic running loosely through it, buy the garment and just add extra elastic); short sleeved knit top like a dressy T or camp shirt; EasySpirit slip-ons and cotton socks; lightweight sweater. For looks, darkish colors and prints (Christine and I must have the same genetic defect - dribbletics). For safety, flat shoes and natural fabrics (in a fire, natural fabrics burn off into ash; man-made fibers melt into the skin. And if you think I'm jumping out of an airplane barefoot, you're nuts).

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:10 AM
joe

I carry my sweat pants rolled up in my carry-on. I wear my "nice" pants in the airport and after take-off on with the comfy pants.Forty minutes or so before landing I go return to the bathroom and change back.

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Thyra

As a third party witness, I can state with absolute certainty that Elivira is indeed, a woman. I met her at Art's LA Fodorite gathering.

Old May 24th, 2001, 11:59 AM
lyv

Since we'll be heading over in July, I don't want to wear anything on the plane that I won't wear while I'm there. So no <BR>jogging suits, jackets etc. I'll be in my no wrinkle khakis, a t-shirt and the one sweater/sweatshirt I'll take and my sandals. I'll carry a pair of socks in case my feet get cold.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:42 AM
elaine

topping

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:30 AM
bettyk

Everybody talks about brushing their teeth, putting on make up and changing clothes in the airplane toilets before landing. Am I the only one who doesn't even want to go near those toilets after the first few hours because they are so GROSS! I don't think I could stand to brush my teeth in there.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:28 PM
lisa

Black cotton cropped pants, lightweight black cotton or silk knit long-sleeved sweater (breathes, and doesn't show if I spill coffee or tea on it), low-heeled black slides.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:41 PM
pam

Given that I will be arriving at my hotel in what I wear on the plane, I like to wear a simple black pants suit with a comfortable T underneathe.<BR>I am always freezing on the plane and my feet are usually quite cold and so I prefer pants. I find that the "no wrinkle" suits from travelsmith are very comfortable,appropriate and really do wrinkle less than other clothing. Their suit jackets (especially in black) can be used over a dress for dinner and go with practically anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -