One day in Dijon (RP from TA)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Beaune for a few nights in May, and will use one day to visit Dijon. We will probably have 8-10 hours to explore since DH will want to leave no later than 8 pm to be back in Beaune before sunset.

I know we need to go to one of the tourist offices to get the owl's trail map. Is there a good place for all-day parking nearby? We would like to wander and absorb the architecture and maybe do a litlle shopping. I woud love recommendations on where to go and what to see. We will have probably had our fill of museums in Paris, but please let me know if there is a "can't miss" museum in Dijon.

I would also like recommendations for lunch and a place to get a light bite in early evening (maybe cheese and charcuterie plates and some wine or kirs). It would be wonderful if we could eat one of our meals outside to enjoy the sights and the people.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM

In two weeks, I will be doing the opposite. I'll be spending 5 nights in Dijon and planning a day trip to Beaune.

I visited Dijon for only 1 1/2 days last year. It was just enought to whet my appetite to see more.

I took the Owl Trail. I believe that of all cities I have visited in my travels, Dijon has made it so easy to see the sights with the trail. In fact, if you go to their website at:
http://www.dijon-tourism.com/ and find the VisioVisit you can download a videotour or MP3 audio tour free of charge. I love audio tours and I plan on using this download on this trip.

Unfortunately, my full sightseeing day was a rainy Sunday, so I didn't get to see as much as I hope to this trip. I did very much enjoy the Musee des Beaux Arts. That, the Owl Trail, and some aimless wandering was all I had time for in one day.

I'm sure Coco will respond to this soon and she will have some better suggestions.

Remember if you are interested in anything specifically to check to see what day the museum or site is closed. Usually a Monday or Tuesday. Whatever you do, I don't think you will be disappointed in this lovely city.

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM

oops it seems I'm late on this one!
I've just checked the underground car parks tariffs in the center and they seem a lot cheaper than if you use the car spaces with parking meters.
The best one for you is place Darcy "parking Darcy" not far from the train station just below the Triumph Arc.
It is just next to the main shopping street "rue de la Liberté" which goes straight to the Ducal Palace.
The rates are 3€/6hours, 3,5€/8hours and 4€/10hours a real bargain!

It is always difficult to recommend a restaurant but if you want to see people while having your meal, the streets around the covered market are usually busy (on market days, Tues, Fri and Sat)and also place François Rude (half way between the Triumph and the Ducal palace on the left. You can't miss it with the fountain and the statue on top of it)
Further south place Emile Zola is a nice spot and also rue Amiral Roussin with half timbered houses.
Musée des Beaux Arts is great and I also like musée de la Vie Bourguignonne. On Tuesday only Magnin museum will open.

Kay I'm so confused but I can't remember when you'll be in Dijon, your screen name is different from your name and then I can't find the email you sent me a few months ago. you can write me again if you wish

cc see you soon on my way back from London yeah! \/
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Merci!

Cchottel -- thanks for the info re the video and audio tour downloads. I'm sure our 1 day taste of Dijon will be just enough to make us want to come back later.

Coco -- We will be in Burgundy the first week of May. We'll probably be in Dijon on Thursday or Friday. I'm sorry we waited too long to make plans and your flat was already booked. I'm sure we will be back again in the future. Thanks for the info on parking at Place Darcy -- 4E for 10 hours sounds great, and I believe one of the tourist information centers is also at Place Darcy.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
gs3

Like KaySD, I am also looking for advice on Dijon. I am planning to stay there for two nights in late April.

Coco, do you have any recommendations on which of the following budget hotels (under 100 Euros) is the best place to stay?
Les Grands Crus
Hotel Wilson
Victor Hugo Hotel
Le Jura Hotel (Tulip Inn)
Hotel Kyriad Dijon Centre
Hotel Le Thurot

Also, do you know of any group tour companies that organize day trips to Vezelay?

Merci!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:16 AM

Hi gs, how many people are there in your group? If two, Coco's flat is under 100 euro. Click www.myhomeindijon.com
cchottel stayed at Thurot and was very happy with it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:29 AM

Hi,
Gg thanks for suggesting my apartment but it is already booked at that time.

Les Grands Crus hotel is nice but you need a car to go there because it is located in Gevrey Chambertin in the south of Dijon.
Hotel Wilson has a great chef at the restaurant (Stephane Derbord), I don't know if you want to stay right in the center, but with this one, you'll have to walk a bit.
I don't know Victor Hugo hotel but it is not far from Place Darcy and the surroundings are quiet. (and it is not expensive)
Le Jura Hotel is over your budget (128€ min)
Kyriad hotels have good reviews in general but I don't like the railway station area, too noisy if you stay on the street side. (same for Jura hotel which is closeby)
I saw the Thurot hotel with cchotel and it seemed very calm, good price and not far from the historic center. I would choose this one.

I remember some of my guests went to Vezelay by bus (from the railway station)but I'm not sure this line still exists. there is line 49 from Dijon to Avallon (2h trip)
check
http://www.cotedor.fr/jahia/Jahia/ac...e?article=3967

Bon voyage!
coco
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
gs3

Coco,
Merci beaucoup for your advice! It is very helpful.

Best regards,
gs3
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi Coco,

In case the parking lot at Place D'Arcy is full, what about parking at the train station?

TIA

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM

Hi Ira,
The car park at the railway station might be handy and easy to find but it is more expensive (especially for 10 hours!)
There are others on the same price range as Darcy, Parking Condorcet (rue Condorcet) not far from St Bénigne church, and another one Parking Ste Anne, rue Ste Anne, close to Hotel Philippe le bon. Avoid parking Dauphine and parking Grangier, much more expensive.
coco