Olympic Airways - really that bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to figure out the best way for us to get to Athens from New York. I had assumed we'd take Olympic's nonstop JFK - ATH, but then I read some reviews here and on arlineequality.com. Late flights, lack of information, lost luggage - it all sounds pretty bad. Delta doesn't sound much better. I'm tempted to lose most of the first day in Athens by flying through Heathrow on BA - has anyone here ever done that? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM

Almost all the bad press I've read pertaining to Olympic has to do with domestic flights. The ground crews in America aren't Greek and they've been trained better. If your flight leaves JFK on time you really don't have much to worry about. Your baggage will be on the plane.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:02 PM
cmt

<<Olympic Airways - really that bad?>>

I think Olympic is the worst airline I've ever flown. However, at least the planes didn't crash nd my luggage was never lost. I flew Olympic in the 1970s and in 1998, so if they've improved since then, I wouldn't know.

I wonder whether Turkish Air flies from NY to Athens. You might look into that. I thought Turkish Air was very good.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, both of you!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:32 AM

I flew Olympic 1998, all bags arrived and flights were on time my complaint was people were alllowed to smoke (which they can't anymore) and the flight attendants were kind of rude they just didn't seem to care. On the positive side they actually had pretty good food and lots of it. I've done the JFK-ATH flight and it's my prefered route although it's usually expensive and very full.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:01 AM

I LOVE Olympic NYC->ATH. Unfortunately it's usually out of my price range, so this time I'm stuck on British Air to LHR, and on to ATH from there I am jealous! The planes are more comfortable, the service is good, the food is good, etc. No problems. The plane never leaves on time because it's the same plane that came back from Athens that afternoon, and they need a few hours to refuel it. So instead of leaving at 5:30 it's usually closer to 8:00 when it gets off the ground. But it's always been on time in Athens whenever I've flown or (much more often) stood around waiting in the Arrivals Terminal for other people coming in on other, delayed flights. I'd fly Olympic if I could afford it.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:11 AM

I always book by price, but I'm willing to pay a little more if I have a frequent flyer account with the airline or the foreign airline (it's always the foreign one's) provide free wine with dinner. Also, an individual tv monitor is nice, too. And the schedule (no long waits at airports is a nice touch)

Be aware that on www.airlinequality.com there is always someone who complains about the small seat or lost luggage. All airlines have small seats in coach and I'll bet money that every airline that has been flying more than one month has lost someone's luggage.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:17 AM

Like you, I was always reluctant to fly Olympic. I was worried they wouldn't meet my standards....

However, when my return flight on AF from Athens to Boston (thru Paris) was cancelled due to a 1 day strike in Paris (Gotta love those Parisiens), I took the Olympic nonstop instead. What a pleasant surprise. Check in was fine. The plane was new and clean. The food wasn't bad. We were on time. And, the service wasn't any worse than any other airline -- maybe better, in fact, than some.

Go with whatever works best for you!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

I've flown Olympic a good few times from London to Athens and apart from departing later than scheduled the flights were fine and the food very good. I have also flown internally with them to some islands and again, some delays but apart from those everything was OK.

The only time I was a little annoyed was on one of those London to Athens flights when the Greek football team was onboard. The crew spent all their time with the football lads in business class, no food or drink was served to anyone in coach. There wasn't a crew member anywhere near us during the flight. Mind you, its the first time (and probably the last) that I'll ever leave an aircraft to the dazzle of flashguns going off!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM

I fly from London to Athens once or twice a year, and have used BA, Olympic, and easyJet. I prefer Olympic.

Last year, I got a cheaper seat with BA, so flew with them on my Aug-Sep trip. Due to a catering strike, there were no meals, drinks, or inflight entertainment on either leg. Okay, that was a temporary situation, but it does illustrate that the "world's favourite airline" doesn't always live up to its slogan.

From Athens I usually take an Olympic domestic flight to Paros. They have never let me down.

I see know reason to avoid Olympic on your NY-Athens flight.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM

We flew from Athens to JFK in 10/05. I was not impressed and I'm pretty easy to please. We received 1 meal, 2 drinks during the entire flight. The flight attendants made themselves very scarce. I noticed a group of men congregating by the galley area, like bellying up to the bar for a drink while one of the stewardesses (sp?) was reading the paper.

It was quite a contrast from KLM who we flew from Detroit to Amsterdam on our outgoing flight. They served 4 meals and it was an overnight flight!!

Aegean Air was wonderful on our inter-island flights and I highly recommend them instead of the ferries. The price was not much more and the flight from Athens to Mykonos was 20 minutes.
Excellent staff.

Have a wonderful time. It is a beautiful country.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:49 AM

Some of the above comments about Olympic are confirmed by the Skytrax Airline Star Ranking in http://www.airlinequality.com/. Olympic got an overall two stars, and Delta three. BA and Air France, among others, scored higher, but don't offer nonstop flights between JFK and Athens.

Olympic gets only one star for responding to passenger requests and for cabin crew presence during flights. If you aren't shy you can just go to the galley and ask for what you want, but I agree that shouldn't be necessary.

Is the inconvenience of a stopover worth it for the better cabin service? A stopover doubles your chance of flight delay and lost luggage. Of course you are likely to save money with a one-stop flight, and that may be the deciding factor for many.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:48 PM

OA & TK get a safety/security rating of 3 which means questionable. In corporate travel, some companies do not allow their staff to travel on OA for business, I use that as a guideline for personal travel. BA's rating is 2 which is adequate.

Comfort, food and crew that have got out the right side of bed are all very well, but aircraft maintenance, safety and security is more important to me.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:00 AM

I lived on the island of Crete for 3 years in the 80's. Flew Olympic to several destinations in Greece, Turkey, Germany and the U.S. Never had a problem.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM

We flew Olympic Airlines from JFK to Athens in October. It was a totally unremarkable, average flight. On time, no luggage issues, speedy check in.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their input. I feel a lot better about flying Olympic now!
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM

If they crash before you leave then I'd be a little more concerned.

An alternative would be to take a cheaper budget flight on Easyjet to Gatwick and transfer there for a flight back to NY such as Continental's service to EWR.