Oktoberfest Questions

Search

Oktoberfest Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oktoberfest Questions

My partner and I are going to Oktoberfest for our first time. We'll be there on a Monday and Tuesday (September 24-25) Since it's not on a weekend, Do you think it will still be as crazy as we've seen on t.v? We hope so,

Is there any problem for 2 females going alone like getting back to your hotel at night? Our room is at Jugendherberge München-Neuhausen Wendl-Dietrich-Str. 20 80634 Munich.

How many euros do you think we'll need just for the Oktoberfest for a couple of beers each,food and the rides.

Is the Oktoberfest LGBT friendly? Thank you.

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I would think Monday and Tuesday evenings would still be hopping at Oktoberfest. I was there on a Sunday morning and you couldn't even get into most of the beer tents.

Can't say if it's LGBT friendly, when I was there everyone was nice and well-behaved but there was not much of a LGBT contingent present, at least that I noticed.

The beers are huge (1 litre), I think you should plan on about 8 Euros apiece. I remember a delicious roast chicken meal costing about the same, maybe a little more, and there are some snacks for cheaper but nothing is what I would call cheap. Did not take any rides, can't comment on that.

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:07 AM

I have been to Oktoberfest on a weekday and it is still busy even in the day. At night it will be crazy. Try the chocolate-covered strawberries!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Are you planning on wearing a dirndl?

(Couldn't resist- sorry)
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
bloom, We are not the fancy dress wearing kind but that was funny. PLEASE don't bring that freako I-did-a-ho jaane/james in to this thread. She/he is not worth our time. Lamb and Lela.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM

The place where (violent) crime is happening is on the Oktoberfest grounds itself, in the rest of the city, you won't find more than usual. The area around the Hauptbahnhof is considered less safe at night by some, but really nothing to be scared of. Neuhausen /Rotkreuzplatz is a safe area at night, like most others in Munich. Trouble can be found in Neuperlach and Hasenbergl, where you may find youth gangs that are bored/drunk. Last year a girl was raped by a stranger close to my flat and I wittnessed a fist fight between about 10 people (incl women) in front of my window. (It's safety glass nothing broken). Police were there in about 5 min. Well done guys! Usually a lot of vommit, peeing and even #2 in the street. They can't arrest everybody. Use common sense and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Beer prices can be found here:
http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/oktoberf...bierpreis.html
Still below 8€/liter, but in any store you'll get a box of 10 liters for 12€ or below. That's why many youngsters are already drunk, when they arrive. The law prohibits selling beer to obviously drunk persons, but that's almost never enforced. If you bring open beer botttles on a bus, you may be asked to leave the bottles outside. So bring a plastic bag or walk. From 21:00 hours (9pm) you have to show your ticket to the bus driver, so you must enter at the front door.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Hi lambchop,

We're going too! So I can't speak from experience, but I can speak from secondhand info and obsessive research

If you go to oktoberfest.de, there is a lot of great info. I believe beers are about 7.50 Euro each, but stronger than US variety, so you'll need less! I think two beers and a chicken -- standard "minimum consumption" at most tents -- is 25-30 Euros. You may want to go onto the above site and reserve lunch in a beer tent to make sure you have a seat.

I was surprised to find out it's the most popular festival in the world -- 6 million visitors, I think? So I think even the weekdays will be crazy! (And I doubt the streets could get eerily deserted.)

As far as LGBT-friendly, you'll always have a few ignorant types (ahem, Idaho_jaane) but I think overall it's supposed to be very come-as-you-are.

Have fun! (would've put the beer emoticon, if I could ever remember how to do it)
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 09:40 AM

My husband and I were at Oktoberfest last year on a Monday & Tuesday. While we weren't there late at night because we'd start pretty early in the day, it was still pretty crowded and a lot of fun. We went to a few different tents and, even with our limited German, we had a great time conversing with others. We met people from all over the world; many from other parts of Germany. Everyone was very friendly and open to sharing their table with us. BTW, we didn't make any reservations ahead of time. Maybe because it was a weekday and there were just two of us we lucked out, but until you are there and find a tent that you want to hang out in, I think it's hard to pick one ahead of time. We preferred the Paulaner and Augustiner tents.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting back to your hotel; just be mindful of your surroundings and make sure one of you is sober enough to get you home!

We didn't ride anything other than the ferris wheel (wanted to get a picture of the grounds from above), but I don't remember what it cost. The beer, like others have mentioned, is about 8 euro a piece. You can get some inexpensive food at the little stands outside of the tents. I may be wrong here, but I think the prices were higher if you ordered in the tent. Definitely do not miss the rotisserie chicken stand - you can smell it from far away and the chicken was so good! (The fact that we had each consumed several liters may have attributed to our memory of it!)

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM

The last time we went it was very busy on week nights..tents were plenty full and the ferris wheel seemed overpriced but we did it anyway.

I don't think you'll have any difficulties re the LGBT "issue" since most everybody there is simply having a good time.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

He thanks for that website and thanks E V 1 for the info. Lamb&Lela
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:09 PM

OK, I lead a sheltered life. What does LGBT stand for?
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Ditto. WTH is LGBT?

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender

I Googled it!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Who would have thunk? I must live in a world all to my own.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Budman, you need to get out more!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM

I had to google it too

I'll most likely be there too - fun!
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Budman, perhaps they should have added it to the "Be a Republican" post in the lounge.