Gilroy Garlic Festival

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gilroy Garlic Festival

I haven't seen any recent threads on this festival, and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers - I've never been before but it seems the consensus is to get an early start because the traffic's bad. How early? I'm not sure I can stomach garlic panacakes or anything like that at 8:00 a.m. Any back routes? Or shuttles? I'd be coming from the Big Sur area. Thanks! Any other tips?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:32 PM

Not sure if I can help too much. We went with friends last year on a Sunday about 11. Traffic was not bad, but when we left around 2, traffic was pretty backed up. DO go hungry. They have wonderful garlic bread, shrimp scampi, garlic fries, guacamole. Also lots of things to buy, art, crafts, one of a kind things. We really enjoyed it.

But, we didn't go hungry. Stopped off and met other friends for brunch which was a big mistake.

One little tip. Wear close toed shoes. You walk around on grass and my daughter was bit on the foot by a wasp. They had a red cross center, which helped, but it happened first thing into the festival and it was hurting her badly for the rest of the time there.

Also, it got pretty warm. Take a hat, wear shorts, plan to look for shade. Otherwise it is a lot of fun to walk around and check things out.

Am craving garlic bread in the worst way right now...
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM

If anybody's coming from San Francisco - CalTrain runs special trains on the Festival days, that's all I know.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM

Most helpful tips

1) go Friday if you can. MUCH less crowded

2) Wear a hat - there is very little shade and it will be HOT

3) LOTS of sunscreen

If you must go on the weekend, try to get there by about 10 a.m.

And don't be afraid to try anything at least once - Garlic ice cream sounds disgusting but is actually pretty good.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

Regarding traffic : there aren't really any back routes any more. A few hundred thousand people attend each year. Nice thing is that the CHP has the traffic under control.

Friday really is the best day - if that's possible. Get your $2 off $12 admission at any Pepsi retailer (that has them).

The festival runs 10am - 7pm. I have arrived at 3 or 4 pm in the past and had enough to satisfy my yen for culinary experimentation w/garlic. Although I would not recommend this time of day : it's the hottest. Temps are predicted to be mid-80s for next weekend.

Our faves from the fest : Garlic Ice Cream; Cheesesteak Sandwich; Garlic Margarita.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:41 PM

So how was the Garlic Festival and the traffic to/from Bay Area, especially with the San Jose Grand Prix the same weekend?