Oktoberfest cancelled

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Miriam

Oktoberfest cancelled

Hello, <BR> <BR>I don`t know if somebody posted this before... <BR>The Oktoberfest in Munich is definetely cancelled due to the horrible attack in N.Y. <BR>How could one have fun with all that heartbreaking news? <BR>You know that soccer is big in Europe... the players themselves pronounced that they don`t want to fight in one of the major events in the European Champions League. All games in that league are cancelled as well. <BR>Just want to let you know that it`s not only shallow words from European politicans, but a true feeling of respect, sorrow and grief for us, too. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Lulu

Miriam, <BR>Thank you. You gave me goose bumps. I have a trip planned to Europe at the end of the month but am contemplating canceling. Not because I am afraid, but because of sadness.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:28 PM
tom

The official site of the Munich Toutist Office posted this this morning: <BR> <BR>"Due to the tragedy in the USA we are unfortunately unable to give you any information about the Oktoberfest at present. On Friday morning the Lord Mayor and city council will make a decision in this respect." <BR> <BR>So nothing is cancelled yet . . . . .

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Anna

Here's a link to the website: <BR> <BR>http://www.munich-tourist.de/

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:53 PM
cath

I can certainly understand cancelling plans and events due to sadness and respect. On the other hand, it burns my cookies to think that these terrorists are winning this way. I intend to carry on as normally as possible. I will be going downtown this weekend to my hometown (Cincinnati) Oktoberfest. There will be remembrances and memorials I'm sure. I will drink a beer and have saurkraut and pretzels, give a toast to the victims and the rescuers, and thank God for all the good things that remain in this world. <BR> <BR>I will not let those bastards change my life. I am not afraid. I am not worried about the future of our country. I will not become vindictive, hateful or spiteful. That would be letting the terrorists win.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:58 PM
aimee

Nicely put Cath. I couldn't agree w/you more.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Miriam

Hello all, <BR> <BR>I didn`t want to give incorrect information. What I`ve posted were the latest news on Bavarian TV stations. <BR>I would be happy if we could have Oktoberfest without forgetting about what has happened. I`ll keep you posted on what I hear from German media. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:08 PM
John G

The krauts giving up their beer? NO WAY! I don't believe it. Next you will be telling me George Bush is going to be able to handle this national crisis. JG

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:15 PM
xxx

Miriam: Are you in Germany? If so, would you keep us posted about Octoberfest?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Pleasehavefun

Please do not cancel this celebration! Have fun, think positive thoughts, and know that we appreciate the kind intentions from Munich. <BR> <BR>However, my thoughts are with Germany if the events do go on, as security will be a huge issue. <BR> <BR>God bless & be safe!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Ann

I was astonished when I saw the Champions League matches postponed. What a nice gesture. Unfortunately, I don't think our professional sports leagues would have done the same if a similar attack occurred in Europe.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Miriam

Hello, <BR> <BR>yes, I`m in Germany and I`ll keep you posted about the Oktoberfest. I don`t really know how to think about it. It`s somehow a German tradition, when the Gulf War was on, we didn`t celebrate Fasching or Karneval either and that`s a major event in the Rhineland. It didn`t hurt anybody, but it was sign for those abroad risking their lives. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Kathy

Miriam: Hi, it's Kathy of the "two Kathy's" that were supposed to be with you tonight in Assmannshausen. I feel such support from you and all of Germany. What a wonderful tradition to cancel the recreational events out of respect for those who are suffering. I feel your kinship! Thanks for everything, especially for your help with the military families. <BR>Kathy

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Dave

My first family trip (as a parent) to Europe included a stop at Bastogne (where my uncle fought with the 10th Armour Div.) and then an overnight stop in Zell. I got lost looking for a zimmer and spent an hour in the parlour of an older German couple who had volunteered to help me and may family find a room. As I was talking to the older gentleman, I noticed a picture of a young man in a Wermacht uniform. He said it was him an a young man and that he had fought at Bastogne and the difficulties of being a young man at war. I told him of my uncle. We kind of looked at each other and wound up giving each other a hug. The rest of our 10 day trip through Germany was made even better. A wonderful country.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:17 PM
XXX

I speak on behalf of all the citizens of the United States of German descent when I thank you for your compassion for us here in the States. We love and care equally for all of our German brothers and sisters!! Keep us posted on the Weis'n!! Thanks.