Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ok to Wing it for B&B's in Ireland in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Northern Ireland and north west Ireland for 11 days.
First two nights of lodging will be reserved and last 2 nights.
Our party of 3 is thinking of just driving and booking b & b's as we need them so we don't need to be locked into a set schedule for the rest of the trip.
Just "winging it" wasn't a problem on my other 5 trips to Ireland.
Not sure if this is still a good idea.
We will be traveling May 19 to May 30.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Hoping for a response soon since I need to start planning itinerary and booking reservations if necessary.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been several years since I last traveled in Ireland (N. Ireland longer) but on the occasions I did, except for arrival locations, I always just played it by ear, as my itinerary was never fixed. I was always there in shoulder season, May or in the fall, and always found plenty of options. Unless you have your heart set on particular places that are likely to be booked up I don't think you'll have a problem. With all the booking websites now and since you'll have a car, I think you'll be fine.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Just wondering if 3 of you (in same room??) might be a problem.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
May 25-27 is a major UK Bank Holiday weekend, so I personally would not attempt to wing anything in Northern Ireland (or even many places in the Republic) between 24 and 28 May. I would also always have the first and last nights booked. Outside of those dates you could be OK -- though triple rooms are harder to find. Otherwise you need to have two rooms.

A couple of times when traveling w/o bookings and needing more than one room, I've found one room and the B&B owner called "My friend down the road who may have a vacancy" and its always worked out, even though we had to split up for the night.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We don't use B&Bs but do they expect reservations more today than drop-ins? I know 20 years ago it was hit or miss with our little B&B guide book.

I would be a bit hesitant to do that if near a larger city. There are four of us going in May and I made reservations months ago. We booked apartments in three places and will do day trips from each base. I like planning and knowing we have good accommodations these days.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 04:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Macross
I like planning and knowing we have good accommodations these days.
Well, that's just it, isn't it, what's more important for an individual traveler or group, to nail down locations & accommodations or to maybe decide spur of the moment where to next. I have an idea where I might be but like the option of spontaneity and often deviate from the general plan wherever I go, not just Ireland. And it always seems to work out, no park benches so far.

Old Mar 31st, 2019, 05:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, everyone is different. I am the one in charge of finding the perfect spot to stay. I am crossing my fingers on one spot I picked for five nights. Four bedrooms and four baths so that part is good overlooking the ocean and four pubs in town. I have had a few duds when picking at the last minute. My question still remains though, do B&Bs expect more of the reservation now than drop-ins. Hotels while traveling are getting harder and harder to find. Last trip up 95 we drove till 1 am trying to find a hotel. It was baseball season and the DC Baltimore area was booked.
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 07:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>but do they expect reservations more today than drop-ins?<<

>>do B&Bs expect more of the reservation now than drop-ins.<<

Sure, they get a lot of on-line bookings, but they also all (or nearly all) have signs outside so those driving by will know whether they have availability or are full up
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 08:00 AM

I've never had a problem winging it in several countries. By winging it I mean making a reservation only 1 or 2 days in advance. I still carry a list of my preferred places and i don't always get my top choice, but the second choice is still pretty good. Ireland especially. There must be a law there that says all private homes must operate as a B&B.