Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ok, so Dublin is great, but how many nights should we stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were planning to stay in Dublin for 4 nights during June. Is this too long or too short?
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:13 PM

This is a very personal question that you have to answer yourself. Some people can stay on an island for a week. Others see the major museums and high street in 1 day.<BR><BR>Dublin can be seen in a day or in 10 days. If have not travelled to Europe and don't know what your pace is, plan on trips to nearby places. If you have time, you can take these trips. If you enjoy Dublin, you can stay the entire 4 days.<BR><BR>I was in Dublin for 2 days. I felt like I needed at least another half day because I felt slightly rushed. For comparison, I think the following cities should be visited for these many days according to my pace:<BR>Sydney-5, Singapore-3, San Francisco-4, Santiago Chile-2, London-8, Paris-6, Lille France-1, Copenhagen-3, Dublin-3, Los Angeles-4, Chicago-2or3, Orlando Florida USA 1+Disney World (1?), Houston Texas USA 2 or 3. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM

Hi Bree70...I agree with Hiroshi. We have been to Dublin 5 times, and still haven't seen it all. There are many one day side trips you can take out of the city--Glendalough, Powerscourt to the south.and Newgrange, Tara, Four Knocks to the north. A lot depends on your other plans for Ireland. The entire West Coast calls to me. Let us know more about your itinerary, perhaps we could be of greater help....Helen
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 06:58 AM

Bree70,<BR><BR>I think you might want to base your decision on the amount of time you'll be staying in Ireland along with your vacation preferences (city versus countryside). For example, if your entire trip runs a week, then I wouldn't recommend four days in Dublin. Should you have a much longer holiday, then by all means pencil in four days for the capital.<BR><BR>While Dublin does indeed have much to offer, it's generally agreed (and I would concur) the Irish countryside represents the Republic's &quot;greatest hits&quot;. <BR><BR>Best of luck.