Commuting into Dublin for sightseeing

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commuting into Dublin for sightseeing

I'm going to Ireland the end of Sept. with a friend who has never been out of the country before. I've been to Ireland several times. We're arriving in Shannon and picking up the rental there. We'll be visiting friends who live in Galway & Mayo. So Dublin, a must see for the first-time visitor (and a great city to boot), will probably fit into the travel itinerary just about in the middle of a 9-day trip. But a car in Dublin, especially driven by a foreigner, would be like an albatross round the neck. For myself, I would like to return to Meath, and also Glendalough. So I was thinking of staying in Greystones and taking the Dart, or in Slane and catching a bus (?). Has anyone done this before and could advise on feasability?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM

My family and I were in Ireland in June. We flew into Shannon and picked up a rental and spent 10 days touring the country for our first time. The last three days we stayed in Dun Laoghaire and took the DART into the city each day. We turned in our car at the ferry port. It worked out great for us. Dun Laoghaire was a great little town for us to unwind before we flew out of Dublin on last day in this great country. We have all agreed that we will return. Have fun!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM

Either Dun Laoghaire or Greystones would be ideal bases if you don't want to stay in the city centre. Dun Laoghaire would have more choices when it comes to restaurants, as Greystones is quite small. Dun Laoghaire is also that bit closer to the city. Either would be a good option though.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:25 AM

I would also opt for Dun Laoghaire. It is quicker to Dublin and more choices for accommodation and food/pubs.

Slane is much further and I feel much more Isolated for things to do etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:29 AM

In late June, we stayed in Greystones for two nites.
On our way up to Greystones, we stopped along the way in Glendalough and surroundings.
Then the next day we took the DART from Greystones to Dublin. Took about an hour ride. We didn't get into Dublin until around 10am or so.
It's a good place for splitting time between Glendalough and Dublin, but keep in mind you probably won't get into Dublin extremely early.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:36 AM

I still say Dunlaoghaire as the commute is quicker and its not far to Glendolough via car.

Some restaurants:

Rolys Bistro - A sister to the Roly's in Ballsbridge - upper price range

Go for a drink at the 40 foot bar. There is all windown and a view out to the sea. There is a restaurant as well that is meant to be gpood. I have never eaten there.

Also a good Bagel Place beside Roly's. They import H&H bagels from NYC and they are like I remember bagel sandwiches in the USA.

Mao is also Along side Roly's. It's Asian food. I am not mad about it but everyoe seems to like it. Not too expensive. These places are in front of the Pavillion (Nor sure if thats the name) theatre. You may get a goo dplay to see shen you are there as well.

Nearby closer to Monkstown is the Purty Kitchen - good pub and seafood meals. Upstairs is music some nights...not sure if there is still a disco there, Maybe Cailin will know.

There are a few older hotels (Perfectly fine) and several B&B's. Check out the discover Ireland website.