OK, hotel choices have widened

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, to quell everyone's curiousity about my limited choices, we booked a air/hotel package with AA Vacations in a rush a few months ago, and while we are locked into the package, we have some flexibility with hotel choices. Due to finances, we are locked into a certain realm of hotels.

That being said, I've now added Waldorf Madeleine to the mix. I've found limited reviews of the location throughout Fodors, but does anyone have further info? Based on response to my last post, I'd say it's between Le Meridien Montparnasse and WM, as everyone has knocked Opera Cadet from the running.

And yes, I am up to my eyeballs in wedding planning--unfortunately this trip isn't getting the attention it deserves. Now that I've realized that unfortunate fact, I suspect I'll be posting with questions rather frequently.

Thank you for all of your assistance!
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Given that choice, I would choose the Waldorf Madeleine. And I'm a person who usually stays in Montparnasse.

I'm sure they would both be fine, and I haven't been in either, but from what I've seen of it and descriptions, the Waldorf Madeleine looks more personal and charming and stylish. Also, it is a smaller boutique hotel (only 45 rooms or so), and I just prefer that to very large hotels myself. Both are good areas, very convenient to attractions, and plenty of shops and things around.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I don't know anything about the Waldorf Madeleine, but if it's considered to be a small boutique hotel, I'd go for it. We once stayed in Meridien Mont. ( my husband had won the trip thru his business--no choices), and while the location was ok, the hotel itself was large, impersonal, and could have been in any city in the world.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:55 AM
ira

Hi Yeagy,

Can you tell us all of the hotels that you could book with your package? It might be better than going through them one at a time.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

The only three choices were Opera Cadet, Meridien Montparnasse and Waldorf Madeleine.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM

I wasn't that familiar with it, but it really looks like a lovely small hotel with good amenities. For those interested, here is a good URL about it with nice photos
http://www.parishotelsgroup.com/hote...otel_paris.htm

Actually, this hotel would fit the bill for the other person who wanted a centrally-located 4* hotel with internet access and business services less than $300, as that web site will show doubles at only about $167 in July. The only thing it doesn't have she wanted was a concierge floor, but I've never heard of that except in the US. Lucas Carton is nearby which is convenient for casual dining (ha ha).
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:06 AM

I just returned from a week vacationing in Paris. Stayed at Waldorf Madeleine and absolutely loved it. Great location near Cathedral Madeleine and shopping. Rooms are smaller than US hotels but very comfortable and quiet. Water pressure in shower was weak but I gathered that most boutique hotels in Paris are similar. Continental breakfast (7am-11am) was good but pricy - 18 euros per person per day. Late night concierge "Buddy" was terrific. He spoke very good Anglais, recommended great nearby restaurants and tours, made reservations, and arranged travel for us. Hotel is convenient to great shops, sidewalk cafe's, taxi's and metro. We walked two blocks to Place de la Concorde. I would be happy to send some photos of the hotel if you wish. Just drop me an email ([email protected]). I hope you have a great time. Chris
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:17 AM
ira

topping