Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Picard; Hotel Roubaix; Hotel Practic

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Anyone slept in any of these hotels? They are the VEEEERY cheap ones (around 50E for a double) on www.eurocheapo.com I noticed their reviews are a bit out of date though, so just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has had any experience with any. They are in the Marais. I am currently trying for the Hotel Roubaix, but having reservation problems, as addressed in a prior post. Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM

I looked up the hotels at tripadvisor.com--no comments on any of them. If you don't find out anything here, I'd be hesitant to go blind.
They may be undiscovered gems, but at that price level there's a lot of possibility for unpleasant conditions.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Try Hotel Tiquetonne. I've never stayed there, but I'm planning to call to see if they've rooms for the dates I want. I've seen it listed in a couple of guide books and the tripadvisor comments are quite reasonable.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Another one is Hotel St.-Honore in the 1st Arr. (Tiquetonne is in the 2nd). I found an old thread here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34375319

Despite some posters' reservations as expressed on the thread, I'm trying to see if I can book this through 123france.com . It's more expensive than 50 Euros though, but still fairly cheap.

Anyway, maybe it's presumptuous of me to suggest alternatives since I don't know where the other hotels are located. But if you like the 1st or 2nd arrondisements, these choices, as far as I can see, are quite central. Again, I don't have any personal experience with them, but I hope to stay in one of these in a couple of weeks.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Look up another one called "Lux Hotel Picpus" in the 11th. Another poster stays there all the time. I think it is listed in either or both of these sites:
www.parishotels.com
www.france-hotel-guide.com

Rates may be a bit more, maybe 60's.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM

aduren - I stayed at the Hotel Picard about three years ago. It was fine for the money. I was alone and had a room with two single beds and an ensuite toilet and shower - the towels were a bit scratchy. There was a TV - a couple of French stations. The storage space was minimal but I have had no more for a lot more money. It was clean and I believe there was a small elevator. The window faced an inner shaftway. The area was very convenient both to Republique with numerous metros and the part of the Marais closer to rue Rivoli. To be honest, I would not stay there again because I like something a drop more upscale, but if money is an issue, it is okay.
Mara
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:08 AM

Aduren,
Good reviews for the Picard and the Roubaix on www.paris.org
The Picard is recommended by Rough Guides of Paris 2004: "A little frayed around the edges, but a clean and comfortable establishment with decent-sized rooms overlooking the Carreau du Temple and in the same block as Paris's best Internet café".
I had a strange experience with the Roubaix. Early July 2003 I tried to reserve a room. On the phone, a guy said he didn't speak English and that I should call in the morning, then hanged up (I'd probably made a mistake by calling in the evening). I e-mailed them and got a reply about 2 months later confirming my reservation. By that time I had already reserved a room in a different hotel, so that was it. I can't say I'm eager to try them again...
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Try the Hotel Sainte Marie in the 2nd, they are really cheap too...www.hotelsaintemarie.com...!!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I called Hotle Roubaix this morning and confirmed that I DO indeed have a reservation there... they just never responded. So I will let you all know how my 1-star hotel experience turns out
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:14 AM

When are you going, aduren? Maybe I should book this one. Tiquetonne is closed in August and so I need to call in a couple of weeks. I looked up Roubaix and it's pretty convenient to where I want to be as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

We will be there Sept 17-19. Or 20, depending on how much fun we have! I found it on www.eurocheapo.com but I realized after I called them this morning that I forgot to confirm what the room rate will be. One site (eurocheapo) said it's 63-68E and another site said it's less than 50E...so I'm assuming it's around that price range. You can use the website to reserve, but I would call to confirm your reservation if you do. I'm getting confused about these arridon...whatever's. I was thinking this place is in the MArais, the 6th, but another website is telling me it's in the 3rd. But anyway... Let me know how it goes! here's the site:
http://www.hotel-de-roubaix.com/index-gb.htm
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks -- I think that I'll call them tomorrow to find out how much they charge.

I'm amazed that you booked without confirming the price -- may be a good idea to check with them. I guess I can ask for you if I end up booking with them; I'll be there over Labor Day weekend, which is apparently a very busy weekend for the hotels there, as I've had a couple that've told me they're all booked.

Roubaix is the 3rd arrondissement, and it's close to the Marais. I think that part of the Marais is in the 3rd arr. and part in the 4th.

The 6th arr. is actually in the Left Bank, on the other side of the Seine.

Basically, central Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements, and the numbering proceeds clockwise and spirals out. 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 are the main ones in the Right Bank (for tourists). 5, 6, 7 are in the Left Bank.

Anyway, I looked up Roubaix and it is centrally located -- it's very near the Pompidou and within a short walk of the Louvre and the Marais. In terms of location, it's definitely a good choice. Location wise, it's basically indistinguishable with Tiquetonne, which is the other one I wanted to look into.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I am amazed at myself for not asking the price - I had read the price to be b/t 63-68E on eurocheapo and it just left my mind to confirm it! I'm such an idiot - I think I will pretend I'm a different person next time I call...

You seem to know a lot about the areas of Paris... is Roubaix in a very touristy area? I was trying to stay away from the areas that cater to tourists, but maybe that's not possible w/out completely going out of the centre. BTW, I'm obsessed with looking at this site - you should go to it for some good restaurant recommendations:
www.pariscapitale.com it's 9E for a suscription but it has helped me out a lot!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:00 AM

I don't know that much, really -- I've been to Paris a few times, and I've a friend who lives there (actually his old neighborhood is near the Hotel Roubaix).

My guess would be that the immediate area around Roubaix is not very touristy. As you say, I think that you can't avoid tourists (and I really don't think that you want to -- unless you've no intention of seeing the major attractions). The only potential problem (and it's very slight) is that I never find it as convenient to go to the Left Bank from the Right (the Metro changes always seem slightly complicated). But really this won't be a huge issue. You'll be close to where you want to go, I think.

Anyway, thanks for that site, and I'll definitely look into Roubaix and if I find out how much they charge I'll post again here.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:04 AM

For what it's worth, Roubaix is booked for the dates I want, so I didn't get to ask how much a room is. The person who picked up the phone is definitely a bit brusque though. The exchange was went something like this:

Bonjour.
Bonjour. Vous parlez l'anglais?
Yes.
Do you have a room for x dates?
No, we're all booked.
Thank you very much.
Plonk.

I wouldn't hold it against them though. I also called another one called Hearse d'Or (a block from the Place des Vosges) and De Lille Pelican. The woman who picked up the phone at DLP was friendlier. When I inquired about the cancelation policy, she playfully said "You can't cancel! Vous devez venir a Paris." Excusez-moi? "You must come to Paris!" "Je ne peux pas annuler?!" Then she explained that they would charge me for a night in the event of cancelation, so I'm thinking about it.

Let us how the Roubaix is after you get to stay there.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

yup, that sounds like Roubaix! I don't care how they treat me though as long as they hold my reservation I will give a report on how everything goes when we get back - should be interesting since that is that only hotel reservation we are making...
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:16 AM

I'm sure it's fine -- their rooms look fine enough on the website. Do come back and tell us how it is and enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Just in case anyone ever does a search and this comes up -- found this on Hotel Practic:

Nice review here

http://www.jack-travel.com/Paris/Par...get_Hotels.htm

One random person's comments:

Hôtel Practic, that first hotel we stayed in with the noisy toilets and worn-out mattresses. It's expensive making international calls from a hotel; I went downstairs to settle up and retrieve my 25 pound deposit and the woman at the counter told me I owed her 37 pence!

http://www.spies.com/~gus/ran/0201/020127.htm