Offenburg - car rental

Mar 20th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Offenburg - car rental

We shall stay in Offenburg and make day trips by train. However, we decided to rent a car for two or three days to visit some places where is more difficult by train.

We have a dilemma:
- we think that is better to decide for what days to rent the car when we already will be in Offenburg, depending on the weather
- on the other hand, I suppose that if we reserve the car in advance, before we shall be in Germany, it will be cheaper and we are sure that we shall have the car (I found that during the time when we are in Lahr, is there a congress and there is also a festival).

We do not know how is better to proceed. Any advices?

It seems that it is a office Europcar in Offenburg. Does somebody in this forum know it?

By car we want to visit:
- Hohenzollern castle
- Glatt palace and Tubingen
- maybe Konstanz.

Is it a good plan?
Mar 20th, 2011, 05:03 AM

Costs is a trade-off for flexibility.
Often you can get somewhat discounted rates compared with walk-in rate if you book at least a 1-3 days in advance, or via the internet after all, and not necessarily months in advance.
I'd play around with website of Europcar and see if or how much rates differ if you book for next week vs. your actual travel dates.

I would not expect that convention or festival to have a major impact. Most visitors from outside the region will either take the train or drive to get there, or fly into Stuttgart or Basel and rent from there.

You will also find many rewarding destinations for road trips on the other side of the Rhine, e.g. Haut-Koenigsbourg castle, and the small villages in Alsace in general.
Mar 20th, 2011, 05:05 AM

I use Kemwell. It is a USA broker with the guaranteed cheapest possible rates you can find. I've rented through them for years. They will charge your card but credit or make changes easily if you need fewer or more days. You would need to cancel up to 3 days in advance. I did have a friend that forgot and I convinced them to cancel. Very flexible company. Here's the link. http://www.kemwel.com/index.cfm?aff=CAROLPROVENCE
Mar 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy, you gave us a good idea.

Carol, I never heard about Kemwell, but now I'll check in internet reviews about this company. However, it seems to me that you are not only a client of them; do you work for them, or is your company?
Mar 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Also check www.autoeurope.com. If you do rent with them, you will prepay but there is NO charge for cancelling or changing your reservation.
Mar 21st, 2011, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Betty, thank you so much. This is very good for us in thebcase that we will want to change the dates.