Off to Paris for 2 weeks

Search

Off to Paris for 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to Paris for 2 weeks

Today we are flying to Paris for 2 weeks - We are leaving Charlotte NC on Lufthansa to Munich and then to Paris. We have rented an apartment from VIP # 125. Both the husband and I are looking forward to the trip. Everyone has provided great advice and we are armed with the information. Will post reports as the 2 weeks progress.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Have a great trip..
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Two weeks! Lucky you - we had 5 days and after reading posts on Paris since then I'm sick about what we missed.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM

bon voyage.
i wish i had 2 weeks in paris!
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM

I hope you post when you return. We are renting that same apt next month so would love to hear about it
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thursday May 14th, We have arrived in Paris !! Lufthansa flight from Charlotte to Munich , business class. Flight was on time but both of us slept very litter. The plane was the warmest I have ever been in, it was so hot that sleep was impossible. Munich to Paris flight delayed about 1 hour due to thunder stomes. Inter-shuttle was right on time picking us up. They were great. The apartment is cute. Just enough space for Mal and I. Carry the bags up the flight of stairs was not fun, but we are in PARIS. The balcony is right on Rue Saint-Honore, We love it. The kitchen in the aparment is tiny but will be enought for us. We were both VERY tired so we decided to go to Monoprix for the basics, coffee, wine , milk and cheese. We stopped at the boulangerie and florist on the street for our baguette and bouquet. Took an hour nap, Bed very comfortable.. Dinner of Wine, Cheese and Baguette - I love Paris !! Tomorrow off to the streets market, not sure which ones yet will determine based on the weather in the AM
Bonsoir!!
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds fun! Glad you have arrived safely if not well rested. Enjoy your trip; I'll be following along.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM

How far is the Monoprix from the apt? I would love any details about great restaurants,etc nearby. Glad to hear the bed is comfy
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

MMS - The cloest monoprix is on Rue D'Opera. It was about a 10 minute walk, not bad at all. Most of the food stuffs in the Monoprix are downstairs, there are elevators. The bed is VERY comfortable. We were so tired, we went to bed at 9 PM Thursday and slept to 7 AM on Friday. Weather cool and rainy this morning so we are off to Gallery LaFayette and Faucon to get some other items.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Oh to be in Paris again! Following your report w/interest.
And I love Monoprix altho I bought a baguette that was way
too long for the provided bag. Enjoy your sourjourn.
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM

That is our routine as well -- head to the Monoprix for staples and get settled in the apartment. Your apartment looks perfectly delightful. Have a great time!
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Friday 5/15 - Weather not great today - Raining on and off most of the day...Headed to Galeries Lafayette Food Halls. Picked up several items for dinner, Salad, Cheese , Baguette and more wine. Went to the top of Galeries Lafayette for lunch , got under cover in the cafe just in time, pouring rain. Great lunch of sandwiches and salad. The husband sat on the 6th floor with coffee and an eclair while I shopped. Purchase several scarfs for friends and of course 2 for moi!!. Worked our way back to the apartment via Fachon. Purchase tea and coffee for the apartment and for home. Sat in a wonderful cafe on Place Madeline, just before the rain started again. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow... off to Bon Marche in the AM, then dinner at Au Pied De Cochon at 8 tomorrow night.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

One additional item , the scarfs were 20 Euro, great silk scarfs and gift wrapped for free !!!
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Saturday 5/16 - We walked over to Bon Marche today, Weather not really great, Had a nice lunch in the cafe at Bon Marche.. Then we took a taxi home as it was pouring rain.. Great afternoon for a nap!! Dinner tonight is at
Au Pied De Cochon...
Link to some pictures of the apartment and our first few days

http://www.photoworks.com/photo-shar..._alb_pml&cb=PW
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM

The apartment looks very comfortable. I really like the Madeline area, great for strolling. Waiting for your dinner report.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
cw

Enjoying your report. I have wondered often about that VIP apartment. Glad to read your comments. I loved the photo of the passageway between Rue de Richelieu and Rue de Montpensier. I used it every morning to go to the patisserie when we stayed at an apartment at the Palais Royal. It's locked at night.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great apartment! And you look like you're having a lot of fun (I have many of those hold the camera toward ourselves photos too). I am jealous that you have two whole weeks in Paris.
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM

i denmal,
I am in Paris as well. Wish the weather was a little more cooperative. But, it's been raining at home too, so I'll take it and be happy!
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Dinner tonight at Au Pied De Cochon: Oysters were very good, Meal average : I had steak , Mal had duck. It was good but not great .. I would rather go to Le Grand Colbert. Which we will do on Tuesday. Tomorrow Dinner in with foodstufs we bought at Bon Marche, Chichen, Potatoes, Carrots and Wine of course. As Elcon mentioned the weather has not been great, alot of rain , overcase and chilly but it is Paris ! We will go out for lunch tomorrow in on of the cafes on the street. One comment about the apartment, the washer/dryer combination is not the best - It washes but does not really dry. There is a drying rack in the apartment that I have hung some items on to dry. If I were staying here again, I would not plan on too much washing, Did I mention the washing cycle takes about 4 hours... Off to bed - around 11:15 PM local time
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks for posting photos. It is good to see what apartments look like when they are lived in as opposed to the promotional shots used to market them. Would you stay there again?

I took my 20 year old daughter to Au Pied de Cochon last year and also was not terribly impressed. I remembered it as being better, but that was admittedly 30 years ago so of course that memory doesn't count for much. I look forward to reading your review of Le Grand Colbert.

In Paris, we sometimes enjoy dining out at lunch and having dinner at the apartment. Lunch menus at lovely restaurants are comparatively affordable.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -