Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

off to Krakow on Wednesday - any last minute recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DH and I are going to Krakow on Wednesday, coming back Sunday as my big birthday present to him. [and I get to go too!]. we are booked into the cracowdays apartments, [thank you Maitaitom] and hope to spend our 3+ days exploring the town, and doing a trip to the salt mines.

apart from the obvious [the castle, which we will do, and Auschwitz, which we won't] has anyone get any other recommendations, either for eating/drinking, or activities?

regards, ann
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know names of these places, but on the corner of Tomasza and Jana Streets is a romantic place; further down Tomasza on the left there's a local-type place where you order at the counter. Get the roasted chicken and the pierogis -- cheap!! I liked the pastries at the famous Blikle Cafe on Wilsna, and Hungarian food at the Balaton.

At the cracowdays they'll have lots of info. Have fun, you will love it.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

hi fidel,

that was quick!

thanks.

regards, ann
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Villa Decius is lovely, or at least it was when I was there several years ago. Good place for that one special dinner. We took public bus almost there, then climbed a hill(paved road) to get there. Our hotel said there was no bus, but I could tell on the map that it got near there.

"Villa Decius - International, 28 Lipca 17a, phone 4253390
A deluxe restaurant, beautifully located in a meticulously renovated renaissance villa which was once occupied by an Italian coutier to Queen Bona, Justus Decius. The villa is surrounded by an old park in an elegant, lush district of Cracow called Wola Justowska. The menu is a cosmopolitan mixture of Polish, French, and Italian dishes, and the dining experience is enhanced by renaissance music, which is played live. "

A harpist played when we were there.

http://www.vd-restauracja.pl/
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi ann; I'm not sure if you have seen this web site, but it has a lot of information for download. www.inyourpocket.com/ Click on the city and then 'instant'. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Don't forget the town square, of course, for people watching. This is a nice time to be there. I was there just before Palm Sunday a few years ago. There are lots of outdoor markets set up with holiday goods, and "fast food", Polish style.

There was an interesting museum on one end of the square.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone.

yes Iris, I have founf in your pocket and downloaded what I think looks useful. difficult to know til you get there!

panecott - I've read about the market - I'm sure that's something we'll be spending some time mouching round.

lincasanova - i just had a look - it's a bit pricey but just the sort of place I'm looking for for a special birthday meal. and it's out side the main town so likely to be less touristy. If DH is interetsed, I'll see if our hotel can make reservatinos for us. We wil probably walk/bus there, taxi back. apart from the building itself, was there anything interesting to look at on the way?

regards, ann
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:13 AM

I am wondering why you will not be visiting Auschwitz.
I spent a week in Krakow and saw it as well as the salt mines. But if I had a choice to do only one, it would be the camp. I know it can be depressing, but it is very moving and something not to be missed.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hiann; St. Marys church in the town center is beautiful. The ceiling is 'sky blue'. Centuries ago, 13th I think, a trumpeter was warning about a Tarter/Mongol attack and was shot and killed by an arrow in the throat. Today, every hour on the hour, there is a 'live' trumpter playing what is called the 'Hejnal Mariacki' only to stop abruptly, at the point the arrow struck, commemorating the bulgler who was killed. Tradition. Have a great trip. Love Krakow. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:49 AM

It was dark when we got there, and could see the Villa through the bare trees up on a small hill. But the bus ride was nothing except passing some houses.

Yes, it was pricey but my friend and I had only one plate each and shared a dessert and enjoyed the harpist. It was an "experience", as was all of the Krakow trip for me.
If I had been with my husband.. it would definitely have been a night to remember.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks again for all your thoughhts.

lolo - we have thought about visiting Auschwitz. I would not criticise anyone who went, nor would i expect to be critisised for not going [i recognise that you're not doing this]. it is such a sensitive subject.

lin- thanks for that. If we go, it'll be for a proper blow-out!

My take on it is that I hope that I can realise as much as is possible for someone not directly affected, without seeing it myself. I recognise that i may be wrong. But mere visitors are little better off than those of who read about it or watch TV programmes. Everything we do and feel is inadequate.

finally this is DH's trip and he doesn't want to go.

regards, ann

PS - I promise to return your help with a trip report, as soon as poss after we get back.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Amy

Hanging out on the square is fun! You never know what might show up.

I also enjoyed the little Museum Czartoryski very much; the salt mines were interesting (and quite different from the one I visited in Austria.) Kasmierz district was a great walk. (Of course, I have very sun-dappled memories of Krakow, as I was there in July; it might be a bit different in early spring as far as the strolling!)

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-july-2006.cfm
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM

There was a touristy restaurant/pub directly across the street from the main entrance to the salt mine. I recall that the food and beer were good and reasonably priced.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM

Ann...I just came across this thread....your DH might enjoy a touch of "Old Krakow"..dine at Wierzynek just off the main square....everything about it is "Old Poland/Old Krakow"...talking 17th -18th century here. The building, the wait staff, the food, the ambience, all point to that special feel...it's not only a well- recommended historic establishment..but we were there the night after Spielberg had shot his Schindler's List "ghetto liquidation" scene... along with many of Steven's crew...we were previously invited to watch the scene where Neeson is on a hill on horseback with his lover, overlooking the chaotic scene below. When I think of it, even now, my knees tremble.

But back to the resto... food choices are varied, the prices WERE not at all outrageous in '93 (don't know about today...a recent traveler friend said they were quite unexpectedly reasonable))...it will be a memorable event for DH, and you.

And yes, you can't miss the trumpeteer in the bell tower of St. Mary's...have a great visit. Congratulations to husband!!

Stu Tower
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

hallo, everybody,

just got back two hours ago, and came straight here - well perhaps not quite straight - I've had several cups of tea, unpacked, presented DD and DS who house-sat for us with their [very reasonalby priced] gifts and put the supper on.

Trip report to follow, but thanks again for all your tips, though I confess that we didn't follow m/any of them; sadly Stu i got yours too late, which is a shame as we were in that area loast night in search of a meal, and thoguh we found one, it wasn't perhaps as memorable as the place you suggested. ditto, Danri, your reoommendation for the Salt mines, which we could definitely have done with.

right, that's enough of the wingeing. no trip is perfect and ours was pretty good.

the highlight - as often happens, something we hadn't bargained for. one night we came across a concert in one of the many churches being given by "voci angeli" who turned out to be a choir of about 30 mixed voices accompanied by a string quartet, illuminated only by candles. although it was all in polish of which we undertstood not one word, it was a truely magical hour of beautiful singing.

the lowlight - not getting to grips early enough with the tram system so that I ended up with a blister on my foot from walking so much. ouch!

thanks again to all of you for your help and interest,

regards, ann