Reload this Page >

Off to Ireland 8/18

Search

Off to Ireland 8/18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Dave

Off to Ireland 8/18

We're off to Ireland for 12 days. Reading through forums has answered many questions. Basic plan: Arrive Shannon, depart Dublin, pre-rent a car (Dooley?), pre-book first night lodging in Ennis, Cliffs of Moher, see family in Boyle, spend last 2-3 days in Dublin, dropping rental car in Dublin on arrival. Now for the questions...is there a central spot from which we can get to the various peninsulas of the southwest? Any recommendations for places to stay in Ennis, Boyle, etc.? Thanks, in advance for your help...

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 05:09 AM
Terri

I suggest you stay in bed and breakfasts- they are the best and most inexpensive way to go!! When we went to Ireland I booked all my b&b's online- I just did a search through the internet. If you prefer a hotel there are two old hotels in downtown Ennis- one is the Old Ground Hotel, I can't recall the other. I think every home in Ennis is connected to the internet so it shouldn't be hard to find a place. Ireland is VERY internet savvy! Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Cathy

Dave <BR>Check out the following web sites for assistance <BR> <BR>Ireland and its regions <BR>www.ireland.travel.ie - official tourist board site <BR>Ireland West : www.westireland.travel.ie <BR>East Coast/Midlands : www.midlandseastireland.travel.ie <BR>Cork - Kerry : www.cork-kerry.travel.ie <BR>Ireland South East : www.southeastireland.travel.ie <BR>Ireland North West : www.northwestireland.travel.ie <BR>Dublin : www.visitdublin.com <BR>The Shannon Region : www.shannonireland.travel.ie <BR> <BR>General Information on getting around and accessing main sites <BR>www.ireland.com <BR>www.heritageireland.com - great information on heritage cards which allow access to most sites <BR> www.cie.ie - public transport company, site has bus and rail schedules and Dublin Buis schedules, also has specialized section on tours to main attractions <BR>www.ryanair.ie - no frills cheap airline <BR>www.tourismresources.ie <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Accommodation <BR>www.ireland.travel.ie <BR>www.townandcountry.ie <BR>www.irishfarmholidays.com <BR>www.hidden-ireland.com, <BR>www.jurys.com <BR>www.templehouse.ie <BR> <BR>Other sites on different regions <BR>WWW.connemarra-tourism.org/ <BR>www.connemara-tourism.org/index.html <BR>www.connemara.net/ <BR>www.dingle-peninsula.ie/ <BR> <BR>Passage Graves/Ancient Tombs <BR>www.loughcrew.com, <BR>www.meathtourism.com <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, In Boyle/Roscommon be sure and visit Lough Key Forest Park and Strokestown Famine House. Ask family in Boyle for recomendations on good B&Bs and check out www.ireland.travel.ie <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:13 AM
phyllis

dave- we just returned from a trip last week following pretty much the same itinerary as you describe. in the southwest we stayed in kenmare, which is at the junction of the beara and ring of kerry peninsulas. it is much smaller than killarney and less "touristy" we we stayed in a b & b called harbour view which is just outside of town and overlooks the water. the owner was delightful and recommended some wonderful restaurants and pubs in town. we found her through "town and country". from kenmare we were able to tour the killarney national park and the beara peninsula with ease. the beara has the spectacular scenery of the ring of kerry with no big tour busses. i would also consider spending less time in dublin and more time in the country. we found one-and one-half days sufficient to get in a tour of the city, some good music and ethnic food, but the areas outside dublin especially county wicklow far surpassed dublin in our opinion for both culture and beauty. a word of caution on dan dooley drop off in dublin...follow the instructions very carefully. the drop-off for their cars is outside the airport. we got lost trying to return the car and that was a little disconcerting. otherwise, we LOVED our trip and hope you enjoy yours!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Don

Cathy's list of web sites covers a lot! However; she left off a couple of my favorite accommodations sites <BR>www.beourguest.ie <BR>www.family-homes.ie <BR>AND <BR>My favorite guest house/B&B in Dublin <BR>www.dublinn.com (Kilronan House)

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:43 AM
herself

Dave, there is a lovely old farm house in Ennis, if I remember correctly it was built in the mid 1600s. Cozy rooms with canopy beds. We have used it on our last night in Ireland because it is so close to Shannon airport. <BR>Newpark House <BR>Tulla Road <BR>Ennis <BR>e-mail: Newpark [email protected]

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 12:36 PM
Terry Howell

Dave, Re: Ennis - Highly recommend Eden Hill House B&B It is a beautiful Horse Farm. Inside is decorated very well and we had a great room and very nice breakfast. Unfortunatley I can't remember just where it is located but do recall it is only about 1.5 miles out of town just off a main road and it does have a sign. My wife and I found Ennis to be a delightful town for walking around in. By the way we did rent from Dooley and would do so again. Had a great dinner at Cruizes while in Ennis. Enjoy. <BR>Terry

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 12:48 PM
siobhain

We've just returned from a two week hol. in the West of Eire. Our very last night we stayed at Tudor Lodge, Hill Road, Bunratty. The B and B was very smart compared to other places we stayed in. Only 10 mins from Shannon airport. Easy walk to restaurants and the famous Bunratty castle (very touristy). However Ennis is a lovely town to stay in, we spent first two nights there. <BR>If you head up to Westport, Co. Mayo, I highly recommend the Kilkelly's B and B - St Anthony's, Distillery Road. Paying £25 per night instead of the usual £20 made a big difference. <BR>Mayo is a beautiful county - Cong is worth seeing including the walk by the abbey. Galway mountins are very impressive, found Clifden a nice (nicely touristy) town to stay in. They have a very enjoyable 'Irish night' on a Tuesday. <BR>Cliffs of Moher are impressive but it is horribly touristy. You'll understand when you go. <BR>Each county has its own brochure - £1.50 but worth it telling you shops/ restaurants etc. can buty from tourist offices. <BR>Do visit Quinn Abbey (Co.Clare) excellent if you like the old abbey/castles to visit. <BR>Beware the Irish road signs - not always that clear...! Eat loads of soda bread, don't let the rain put you off going for walks. <BR>You will have a good time and yes, don't bother to spend much time in Dublin. Having experienced the small towns and countryside, Dublin won't be that impressive. <BR>