Where to spend St. Patricks Day

Aug 3rd, 2000, 07:58 PM
Laura

Where to spend St. Patricks Day

We are going to be in Ireland over St. Patricks Day next year. Any advice on festivals or celebrations outside of Dublin? Sounds like it might be a little crowded there. Any other advice would also be appreciated. We will be there 7 days. This is our first trip. Thanks.

Aug 4th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Jane

There are mainly Americans in Dublin celebrating St. Patrick's Day.

For something a little different, I would head north to Downpatrick in County Down. Downpatrick is where St. Patrick is buried (his grave stone is next to a church on a small hill). They've recently started having a festival in conjunction with St. Patrick's Day every year. I haven't attended, but I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Aug 4th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Thyra

We were in Ireland this past St. Patricks day and the saw a couple of the "pre-St. Patrick's day events in Dublin, fireworks etc , so wonderful. Then we went down to Cork for the actualy Day and had a great time, we seemed to be the only American's there. We watched the parade, and then went to a pub and watched a horse race that was really fun! The B & B prices in Cork were the same as any day of the year but the B & B we stayed at in Dublin was a higher price for the holiday. It was a blast and I want to go back in 2001!

Aug 7th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Laura

Thanks for the suggestions! both sound like good options.

Aug 7th, 2000, 07:13 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Laura: You might want to keep in mind that in Ireland St. Patrick's Day is a religious holiday and if there are celebrations they will be something added to attract Yankee visitors. Joan

Aug 8th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Cathy

Laura,
Re Joan's comment St Patrick's Day is a religious and national holiday but most major towns have parades for local businesses to show off their products etc - those in Dublin or Galway are generally the best. Check with the Irish Tourist Board about events around the country at that time - www.ireland.travel.ie and have a good time. Make sure and book all your B&Bs etc before you travel as it is a very busy time.

Cathy

Search this Thread