Off to France

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to France

Iím planning to introduce my daughter to Paris in November. After 5/6 days there, any recommendations on another place to visit in France for a few days? I was thinking maybe the Alsace region?
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:35 PM

Just stay in Paris!!!!!!

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:06 AM

I would definitely try North (e.g. Normandy) and also the French Alps. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I'd look at Champagne, Reims or Epernay. Easy train.

Alsace, Strasbourg and Colmar as potential bases or maybe one of the villages like Eguisheim. Easy train, followed by taxi

The north coast in November is less attractive unless you have special interests in WW2, Soft Cheese, Cider, 1066 invasion.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jul 16th, 2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 05:08 AM

Is your daughter Helen of Troy? They already met.

Alsace is a perfectly good idea. Go with what inspires you! Rent a car if you can.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 08:50 AM

I wouldn't just stay in Paris, I think that's boring to never see more of a country when you have a chance, other than the biggest city. I wouldn't go to Normandy or Alps in November probably depends what your goal is and what you like. It isn't going to be warm, and November is kind of a dreary month in many places in terms of weather and vegetation. The Alps are too long and too much trouble to get to and it rains a lot in November. It's not winter yet, just don't see the point. But you will need a different wardrobe than Paris, probably, at least a bit, that's the problem. But you can't ski anyway, it's too early. They do open a bit in late November for weekend skiing or something. But lots of gear for that idea.

YOu could go anywhere easily by fast train, I think Alsace is a fine idea since it must appeal to you. Especially for only a few days, you don't want to go that far. Or maybe Lyon or Dijon areas. Reallyl, with the train, you could even go down to Avignon in a few hours for a real change. But of course it won't be like Provence in finer weather. But at least it won't be super cold, and not as crowded.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loire Valley chateaux? Chartres?
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good point Christina, I've done Avignon in November, can still be icy cold with the air off the Alps but still pleasant sometimes. I might even think of Bordeaux which has a massived covered/semi-covered/open shopping area while Lyon is big with places to duck into if weather is bad.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by lparro View Post
Iím planning to introduce my daughter to Paris in November. After 5/6 days there, any recommendations on another place to visit in France for a few days? I was thinking maybe the Alsace region?
Day trips could take time out of Paris: Versailles, Chartres, Fontainebleau, Rouen. If you took all of them, that would be 4 days out of your six.

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 05:39 PM

Add Giverny and Bayeux, to day trips from Paris. Base in Paris. 5/6 days is no way near enough....🍷
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by lparro View Post
I’m planning to introduce my daughter to Paris in November. After 5/6 days there, any recommendations on another place to visit in France for a few days? I was thinking maybe the Alsace region?
She might enjoy a visit to the Loire. You can take the TGV there, then get tours or drive to various chateau. If time is short, there are day trips offered from Paris.

Last edited by burta; Jul 16th, 2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by TDudette View Post
Add Giverny and Bayeux, to day trips from Paris. Base in Paris. 5/6 days is no way near enough....🍷
I left our Giverny and chose Rouen because the trip is in November. Would the garden be that attractive in November?
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 07:10 AM

I enjoyed going to Giverny because I had an interest in reproducing the famous photos of Jacques Lartigue. Aside from that, it's a small site that will take much more travel time than spending time there, so I don't recommend it no matter the season. Unless you can combine it with a couple of interesting sites nearby like La Roche Guyon and Eglise de l'Annonciation de Haut-Isle, a troglodyte church. For the latter, you probably have to ask for the key in the village.

I would much rather devote time at Les Pouces de St Ouen, the sprawling flea market just outside Paris (metro goes there), though best on a weekend morning.

Old Jul 18th, 2021, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
I enjoyed going to Giverny because I had an interest in reproducing the famous photos of Jacques Lartigue. Aside from that, it's a small site that will take much more travel time than spending time there, so I don't recommend it no matter the season. Unless you can combine it with a couple of interesting sites nearby like La Roche Guyon and Eglise de l'Annonciation de Haut-Isle, a troglodyte church. For the latter, you probably have to ask for the key in the village.

I would much rather devote time at Les Pouces de St Ouen, the sprawling flea market just outside Paris (metro goes there), though best on a weekend morning.
les Puces de Saint Ouen; fleas not thumbs.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 05:24 AM

Oops, sorry for that, kind of typing "doigts d'honneur"
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay in Paris and take day trips as weather allows.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 08:34 PM

I think taking the train to Amboise in the Loire Valley and seeing some of the great chateaux sounds amazing! https://www.experienceloire.com/loir...y-chateaux.htm

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Off to France

Thank you all for the suggestions. We have decided to stay in Paris at least 6 days then travel to Alsace. Since we want to visit Colmar, Strasbourg, maybe Eguisheim would we need to rent a car in Paris, drive to Strasbourg and stay ? That way we have a car to visit the other towns as day trips. Or should we take a train to Strasbourg? Then bus or taxi to the other towns? Any recommendations for a charming place to stay in Strasbourg?
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Take the train to Strasbourg and rent a car there. Frankly, I always liked staying at the Ibis directly across from the train station because the view of the glass bubble at night mesmerizes me.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 06:32 AM

I guess everyone travels differently..... I'd rent a car right in Paris and then you are free to go from there wherever you please. Stay in a village. Easier to move about. All those amazing villages, see as many as you comfortably can. Get out of cities. You will have just spent 6 days in a big city, stay in the countryside. Ultimately it's why most folks go to Alsace in the first place. Colmar, Eguisheim, Riquewhir, Hunawhir are so close to each other, in addition to a myriad of other places. Insanely beautiful villages one after the other. Google Maps is a quick way to scope them all out, one after the other. Hard to go wrong.