October weather in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have several days next October between time in Venice and a few days in London. We've never been to Edinburgh and have heard it's an interesting city.

I wonder however whether the weather in the first week of October typically lends itself to wandering around on foot or whether we are more likely to be huddling under umbrellas in a cafe or bar rather than walking down the Royal Mile.

Anyone with experience of that time of year in Edinburgh? Obviously every year is different but some sense of the weather other than average temperature charts would be helpful, e.g. it's likely to rain every day but only for short periods vs. daily deluge.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Rereading AFTER posting, I realize in a cafe or bar we will have closed the umbrellas! But you know what I mean...;-)
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM

You should hope for no rain but plan for rain.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:47 PM

I've spent early October in Edinburgh and, I wouldn't want to predict the weather. Only one thing is certain and that is weather in Scotland is always unpredictable.

The Royal Mile is approximately a mile long ( really ) and there are several places worth visiting along the route as well as pubs, tea rooms and cafes. So you could spend most of the day along the R.M without getting drenched or even damp. Of course, the rain never bothers me much especially in short bits. I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem and who knows it could be sunny.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:01 PM

We were in Glasgow and Edinburgh the last week of this past September and it mostly rained. With that being said we had a great time. Rain in Edinburgh was intermittant. Anyway, it's a fantastic city and we enjoyed it immensely.
There is a trip report posted by someone who was there right after we left and they had sunny days for their entire stay. IMO go it's a wonderful city.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:10 PM

I have been in Edinburgh twice in October. Both times I lucked out and had good weather. Sun and warm enough to just wear a heavy sweater over blouse and wool skirt. That said, twice in July there were showers in between heavy overcast. So at best, it is a crapshoot.

Sparkchaser summed it up very well!
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:11 PM
kja

you might consult wunderground.com or dateandtime.com
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
there is no way (none) to know what to expect weather wise . . . well except it won't be 80°F

It could be cool/clear and glorious, it could be freezing and blustery, it could pour down with rain . . . and very possibly some of all three.

Anecdotal reports of (we were there yada yada ) means nothing.

For example I was in Edinburgh the exact same week in August a year apart. One was freezing cold and a fair amount of rain and I was in cashmeres and heavy scarves and waterproofs every day, and the next year was shirt sleeves weather every day.

You just plan for layers and have something water resistant.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 05:14 PM

I would simply ignore the weather. It's a wonderful city with tons to see and do and as long as you have clothes to layer, waterproofed shoes or booties and a good umbie.

We were there once in July and the day we arrived it was pouring rain (sideways) and the temps were in the mid 40s. I was wearing everything i brought with me. And it had been about 85 when we left London 4 days before.

But the next day was 70 and sunny (I think as good as it gets).
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:28 AM
ESW

You could get rain where ever you are....
Have a lkook at the rainfall figures here;
http://www.edinburgh.climatemps.com/precipitation.php

Edinburgh s on the east side of the country so rainfall isn't that high compared with the west highlands for example.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:59 AM

<i>you might consult wunderground.com or dateandtime.com</i>

You only get averages, Averages are just that - averages - they give no idea of what the possible range of weather could be which as the UK is unpredictable though it's PROBABLY too early for snow and PROBABLY too late for a heatwave
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 11:06 AM

>>they give no idea of what the possible range of weather could be which as the UK is unpredictable <<

Ditto that. <u>None</u> of the weather sites is of any use predicting what the weather will be on some future trip to the UK. Layers and water resistant -- that's the trick.

I'll bet none of them showed the possibility of massive storms with 80 mph winds, slashing rain and power outages in SW England this weekend . . .

That's what they got (do hope annhig is OK)
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 03:15 PM
kja

Actually, one can get information about historic RANGES of temperatures, precipitation, etc., on those sites, too -- not just averages.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 04:25 PM

But the ranges are very wide . . .
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 06:08 PM
kja

@ janisj: Exactly! The ranges are vary wide because, as you noted, the weather can vary from statistical averages dramatically.

That said, some of us prefer to work with statistics, rather than anecdotes. Same bottom line -- or at least, it will be the same bottom line if enough people with relevant anecdotes provide sufficient info ... and if the reader integrates all of that information accurately. IMO, statistics, properly used (e.g., with attention to averages and ranges, etc.), provide an easier and more solid base for inference. YMMV.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 07:55 PM

I remember a gentleman on a Rabbies tour two years ago who had done an extensive study on the best time to visit Scotland. Apparently he studied all sorts of weather charts, history, statistics etc. He was telling this story as we sat inside our van with temperature at 14 degrees and wind so strong it was blowing the rain horizontally. Seems he had a difficult time coming to terms with the fact that the weather wasn't even close to what he had assumed through his research. The driver, a Scots, and I, a long time visitor to Scotland, just smiled at his naivety.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:09 PM
kja

Of course anyone who understands statistics would also small at that gentleman's naivety.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. They confirm what I had assumed, i.e. there's no telling what the weather will be. And heaven knows the last few years have been odder than ever. We spent 2 weeks in the rain in Paris in June of this year.

I'm just thinking of the packing issues as we'll be in the south of France in mid September, then Venice late September, before Edinburgh the first week of October and then London. Layers of course but warmer clothes take up more space and thus suitcase issues arise. The two of us have been known to share one carry-on for a week in warm weather but this isn't one of those trips.

Of course there are worse problems to have. We'll work it out I'm sure, without lugging too much around with us. Way too early to worry about it anyway but if you're obsessive, well...

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:38 PM

>>Layers of course but warmer clothes take up more space and thus suitcase issues arise.<<

Shouldn't be a problem

>>The two of us have been known to share one carry-on for a week in warm weather but this isn't one of those trips.<<

One carry one each should work. Have the one water proof layer and then the same sorts of things you'll wear in London. I don't take 'heavy' clothes except in Dec/Jan when I do often take a puffer coat. But in October, cashmere sweaters are great - light weight but really warm. Maybe throw in a pair of tights but I don't usually bother. Normally I wear cashmere blend socks instead. Gloves, a warm scarf (which you could buy in Edinburgh as a souvenir).
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:47 PM
kja

Another option -- silk "thermals," as in silk long johns and a silk long-sleeve top or T-neck that you can wear under clothes you would otherwise take in any case.... And I always travel with a pair of silk gloves and a long silk scarf, which can really help on an unexpectedly inclement night. Super lightweight, and you don't have to worry about wrinkles. Just a thought....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -